Baa Baa, Baa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Baa Baa, Baa

Bucky D, thanks, I wasn't aware of the title change of Mike's book. As to the shouting match at Reno 86', could be............the story continues......................................... ..........
    Larry

Comment

I guess I'm one of the few who thought he was an ass. After watching the series as a kids he was my hero. I stood in line to get his autograph. I couldn't afford his book and asked him so sign my program. He refused and proclaimed loudly that I had to buy his book to get it. Kawato overheard this (this was the year they were right next to eachother) and gave me a signed rising sun headband and his book while telling Pappy what he thought of him. Says alot about both men right there.
      Red
      chanting...400+

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
        He was still one hell of pilot. He didn't get all those rising sons for nothing. Don't forget he said: "Show me a hero & I'll show you a bum". At 77 I could name a few more both past & present who aren't angels. Enough said.
        We do like to have heroes don't we... In the "old days" people were just happy to have them and didn't suffer the deluge of information which we now have, a hero was a hero. No one seemed to take the time to pick the nits off of their armor, they were just heroes.

Smuch as I like to be informed, I still like to have my heroes and think only about the good they did and do.

Jusss my humble opinion...
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

This makes one appreciate Bob Hoover all the more, a hero and a consumate gentleman. Not everyone can pull all of that off. But, I am sure someone out there - somewhere - has been slighted by him too.

They are Heros all the same.

I clearly remember in 1989 when Sandy announced over the PA that Pappy had passed and asked for a moment of silence from the crowd. ??,000 people and you could have literally heard a pin drop. Just one of the many things that makes Reno special.

Comment

I remember getting a book autographed by Pappy at the Watsonville Airshow in I believe 1979. I saw him again sometime later at another show somewhere in California, possibly Madera. As we walked passed each other he turned towards me right as I turned towards him and we exchanged acknowledgments and kept walking. I thought at the time it was pretty cool that he might remember me. Of course, being red headed I probably had a gnarly sunburn going on and he might have been looking at that.
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Red View Post
              I guess I'm one of the few who thought he was an ass. After watching the series as a kids he was my hero. I stood in line to get his autograph. I couldn't afford his book and asked him so sign my program. He refused and proclaimed loudly that I had to buy his book to get it. Kawato overheard this (this was the year they were right next to eachother) and gave me a signed rising sun headband and his book while telling Pappy what he thought of him. Says alot about both men right there.
              The two autographs I got from him did not require any book purchase.

I dont care how big of an asshole the guy is or was. He is a medal of honor winner, Ace, Veteran, and did a lot of things to ensure the people under his command got to come home. In my book you are allowed to do whatever you want after that.

It is unfortunate in our country that dedicating some of your life to the defense of this country and its people does not provide one with a series of marketable skills that ensure riches and success once you come back to life in the civilian world. He was there to make a living by selling books, I can understand his desire to make that happen.

This is not an attack on you Red, just pointing out the way I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                The two autographs I got from him did not require any book purchase.

I dont care how big of an asshole the guy is or was. He is a medal of honor winner, Ace, Veteran, and did a lot of things to ensure the people under his command got to come home. In my book you are allowed to do whatever you want after that.

It is unfortunate in our country that dedicating some of your life to the defense of this country and its people does not provide one with a series of marketable skills that ensure riches and success once you come back to life in the civilian world. He was there to make a living by selling books, I can understand his desire to make that happen.

This is not an attack on you Red, just pointing out the way I see it.

I fully understand and appreciate what he has done for our country. The problem is, he deserves the same amount of respect as any other service man/woman who willingly put themselves in harms way. That doesn't give him the right to be a prick though now does it? I get it that everyone has a bad day now and again but NOBODY gets a buy to be an a$$hole because some people put them on a pedestal. Especially if he wants to sell me something!

Maybe you've had the chance to meet some of the other great men of his time, or maybe not. I have. People like Hoover, Anderson et al would never act like that. Just a different class of people I guess

That being said, I still watch BBBS any chance I get.
                Red
                chanting...400+

Comment

Originally posted by split-s View Post
                  Boyington was a charismatic rogue and a talented, instinctive pilot. He was also a scoundrel and an alcoholic and most authorities consider his autobio to be as much a work of fiction as fact. $

http://www.amazon.com/Once-They-Were...tt_at_ep_dpi_1

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sheep-Br...ref=pd_sim_b_3

One thing in the book I was thinking about recently- that sounds like it is BS now that I'm in my 40s and think differently then when I got the book from Boyington when I was 19 or 20: The part where he says he would sleep during missions and tie the controls up with string (or whatever it was) so he could fall asleep. No frickin way!!!!!!! It's still one of my most ever read books anyway.
                  Last edited by John H; 01-02-2010, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I bought both books the same year, when their booths were across from each other in the early 80's. Mike's was hardcover "Flight into Conquest with the Bye, Bye Blacksheep slipcover. Mike's line was shorter so I wemt there first, he signed it from "One Hot Blood Zero Ace", then told me to be sure to have Pappy sign it also. I was set up. Pappy was all smiles as he signed his book but had more than a few colorful things to say to me when I asked him to sign Mike's! Couldn't blame him one bit for any of it.
                    I treasure both books and the experience, it made a simple book signing memorable!
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Well, regardless of what others say, pro or con. He was there doing the job....and sometimes you have to go around people to get "stuff" done!

I lift up my glass in salute to a WWII aviator that made a difference, and say Cheers! And I'll buy the next round tooo...Hic!

Comment

And I'll help you drink it!
                        All of these men (and women) are owed a debt by us. They did great things in their times.
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                          ... He didn't get all those rising sons for nothing ...
                          Mr. Boyington owed a lot of his success as a gunslinger to his wingmen -- particularly Chris MaGee, VMF-214's erstwhile top ace.

I have to echo Box A35 in admiration for R.A. "Bob", a class act. Same on J.C. Penney, for whom I have a genuine liking.

$
                          Attached Files
                          "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
                          Martin Caidin

Comment

Mike Kawato was slated to race at Reno 1977, an effort encouraged by RARA with plans to heavily promote the races with his participation in Japan.

Mike was a regular at the Fullerton, CA airport where F-1 #15 "Slapshot" was based. Arrangements were made with the owners, and a test flight was scheduled at Mojave prior to the races. The racer was a little too hot for Mike to handle, the one and only test flight ended in a ground loop that damaged the plane. The damage was repaired before Reno, but there was no time for Mike to become proficient so plans for him to race were scrapped for the year. Any subsequent plans for 1978 were dashed when "Slapshot" was nearly destroyed in an off-runway forced landing during qualifying at Reno 1977, while being flown by T-6 racer Marshall Wells.

Comment

Working...
                            X