Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ken Burnstine

Default Re: Ken Burnstine

I remember in the AC "warbird report" back then there were several crashes of warbird types, mainly transports, attributed to drug smuggling in which his ownership was mentioned.
    It kind of gave a different flair to the whole warbird movement at a time when it was just starting. A lot of the players back then were shady and/or eccentric!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Thanks!
    I've always been fascinated by the whole Burnstein/Whittington/Levitz connection and remember all the rumors in the 70's.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmu2 View Post
    If you have any more info, can you please pass it along, this just keeps getting more intriguing. Was a where of the drug story but not of any connection with the Whittington's or Gary Levitz??
    Yes, I agree. I didn't know there was a "connection" between Burstein, Whittington and Levitz. I always thought that Whittington's and Levitz's deals were separate. Can anyone shed light on this and set the record straight?

Maybe they were. It all just happened about that time and was in the mags about then.

Quote Originally Posted by AirDOGGe View Post
    Wayne, please edit this post to remove the last paragraph of this post if you feel the same way.
    AD.... I've been both fascinated and wary of this thread, a big part of me wishes it would have never started. That said... I think I'll leave it as is.. for now, unless I have a popular vote to remove that part of it...

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I remember in the AC "warbird report" back then there were several crashes of warbird types, mainly transports, attributed to drug smuggling in which his ownership was mentioned.
    It kind of gave a different flair to the whole warbird movement at a time when it was just starting. A lot of the players back then were shady and/or eccentric!
    This is true. Like it or not, a lot of the principal warbird operators who more or less started the movement financed their operations through drug running.

Besides all of the ones already mentioned, I'll throw out another one - Jr. Burchinal. For those of you old enough to remember, Burchinal had his warbird "check out" school at Paris, Texas in the 70's under the guise of the Flying Tiger Air Museum. Burchinal spent time in prison for a drug related offense. Here is the link to his conviction:

http://www.altlaw.org/v1/cases/474184

I started this thread because I thought Miss Foxy Lady was one of the beautiful racers ever built, never realized all the drama involved with Ken Burnstine, all very interesting stuff. Even the Oswalt connection??

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    AD.... I've been both fascinated and wary of this thread, a big part of me wishes it would have never started. That said... I think I'll leave it as is.. for now, unless I have a popular vote to remove that part of it...

Wayne
    OK. Though very popular, this thread definitely has moved away from general air racing discussions, so it may be time to relocate it...

But where is the question. Looks like the forum could use a General Aviation room for all the non-race-related but still aircraft-related postings, plus maybe a room for completely off-topic discussions like the KEN thread has evolved into.

We have one in our gaming forum we titled TAILGATE PARTY for O/T posts of the latter type. You could add one here called OUT BEHIND THE HANGAR or something of that type....Just a suggestion from out of the wild blue yonder...

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 11-24-2009 at 01:48 PM.

OK. Though very popular, this thread definitely has moved away from general air racing discussions, so it may be time to relocate it...

But where is the question. Looks like the forum could use a General Aviation room for all the non-race-related but still aircraft-related postings, plus maybe a room for completely off-topic discussions like the KEN thread has evolved into.

We have one in our gaming forum we titled TAILGATE PARTY for O/T posts of the latter type. You could add one here called OUT BEHIND THE HANGAR or something of that type....Just a suggestion from out of the wild blue yonder...

We currently use the "graffiti" forum for this. Maybe renaming it to "Behind The Hangar" would be good?

I think, perhaps, it's time to strip this thread of the messages which drifted off topic and move them to a separate thread, within *whatever* we call it...

Agreed? I think I can go back through and leave the actual racer related messages where they are and separate the rest into a new thread.. (time consuming but I think, doable)

Consensus???
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

I wonder if the preceeding is correct, since the article I posted says the PLANE was found in 8 pieces (not counting the smalls bits that no doubt were scattered about)....
    ...I could post the map showing what I posted is true...however I agree, this is gettin' pretty gruesom...if the moderator wants to delete anything I posted...OK...but I figured it was all a valid part of the story...

Sledge

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    We currently use the "graffiti" forum for this. Maybe renaming it to "Behind The Hangar" would be good?

I think, perhaps, it's time to strip this thread of the messages which drifted off topic and move them to a separate thread, within *whatever* we call it...

Agreed? I think I can go back through and leave the actual racer related messages where they are and separate the rest into a new thread.. (time consuming but I think, doable)

Consensus???
    Agreed. Perhaps name the new thread "The Ken Burnstine story", and the current thread can be "Ken Burnstine's Mustangs" or similar.