Ken Burnstine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ken Burnstine

I started this thread because I thought Miss Foxy Lady was one of the beautiful racers ever built, never realized all the drama involved with Ken Burnstine, all very interesting stuff. Even the Oswalt connection??

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
      AD.... I've been both fascinated and wary of this thread, a big part of me wishes it would have never started. That said... I think I'll leave it as is.. for now, unless I have a popular vote to remove that part of it...

Wayne
      OK. Though very popular, this thread definitely has moved away from general air racing discussions, so it may be time to relocate it...

But where is the question. Looks like the forum could use a General Aviation room for all the non-race-related but still aircraft-related postings, plus maybe a room for completely off-topic discussions like the KEN thread has evolved into.

We have one in our gaming forum we titled TAILGATE PARTY for O/T posts of the latter type. You could add one here called OUT BEHIND THE HANGAR or something of that type....Just a suggestion from out of the wild blue yonder...

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 11-24-2009, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
        OK. Though very popular, this thread definitely has moved away from general air racing discussions, so it may be time to relocate it...

But where is the question. Looks like the forum could use a General Aviation room for all the non-race-related but still aircraft-related postings, plus maybe a room for completely off-topic discussions like the KEN thread has evolved into.

We have one in our gaming forum we titled TAILGATE PARTY for O/T posts of the latter type. You could add one here called OUT BEHIND THE HANGAR or something of that type....Just a suggestion from out of the wild blue yonder...

We currently use the "graffiti" forum for this. Maybe renaming it to "Behind The Hangar" would be good?

I think, perhaps, it's time to strip this thread of the messages which drifted off topic and move them to a separate thread, within *whatever* we call it...

Agreed? I think I can go back through and leave the actual racer related messages where they are and separate the rest into a new thread.. (time consuming but I think, doable)

Consensus???
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
          I wonder if the preceeding is correct, since the article I posted says the PLANE was found in 8 pieces (not counting the smalls bits that no doubt were scattered about)....
          ...I could post the map showing what I posted is true...however I agree, this is gettin' pretty gruesom...if the moderator wants to delete anything I posted...OK...but I figured it was all a valid part of the story...

Sledge

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
            We currently use the "graffiti" forum for this. Maybe renaming it to "Behind The Hangar" would be good?

I think, perhaps, it's time to strip this thread of the messages which drifted off topic and move them to a separate thread, within *whatever* we call it...

Agreed? I think I can go back through and leave the actual racer related messages where they are and separate the rest into a new thread.. (time consuming but I think, doable)

Consensus???
            Agreed. Perhaps name the new thread "The Ken Burnstine story", and the current thread can be "Ken Burnstine's Mustangs" or similar.

Comment

I say...let it be the way it was written.....Why do the politically correct thing here.....
              Dude everbody steps in the dirt from time to time....

I think this is very fascinating.....

Maybe partially because...my Father, an Airline pilot since 1947...had told me many times that guys could strike it rich flying "china white" under the radar..skipping over the waves...if you will, but he could not do it because of his Cathlic upbringing....

So for me, this thread is very interesting....

Comment

The thread would just get split into two, with the non-racing portion placed elsewhere.. No text would be lost.

Comment

Personally, I don't think it needs to be moved at all. Put on your big girl panties, people. The post/thread asked about the accident report for a race plane that happened at a race site. There was enough question in the eyes of everyone involved to think that Burnstine's background could/did play a part in the accident.

All that has been said here is background that sets the tone of the rest of the story leading up to the accident.

I don't understand this. We're all adults here. Nothing untrue or offensive has been said. Obvioulsy it's not my website, but if the nature of this thread is being called into question maybe y'all should look in the mirror...or go check out the tiddly winks tournament down at the grange hall. You guys have to understand that these are real people we're talking about...with real faults. Doesn't make them any less interesting or important. I could throw out a whole lot of pilots/owners in the warbird/racing world over the years that the casual fan would think walked on water...but the truth is that their lives 'away' from air racing was as crooked as the Rio Grande. But that doesn't matter. SO WHAT? Why the need to put this in a separate post? Is it embarassing for YOU to read? Then don't read it. Do you think it's offensive to the family? Don't you think THEY know/knew what was going on? It was 35 years ago, people.

I mean honestly...the purpose of these message boards is for people to ask questions and learn things, right? How many people have read this thread and learned something new? Hasn't it served its purpose then?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by mmu2 View Post
                    If you have any more info, can you please pass it along, this just keeps getting more intriguing. Was a where of the drug story but not of any connection with the Whittington's or Gary Levitz??

The only connection is that Gary Levitz befriended Burnstine and bought Miss Foxy Lady from him as a favor to help him out. And shortly afterwards Levitz sold his race Mustang to the Whittington brothers...who ultimately happened to be from the same part of Florida, in the same business as Burnstine. But it was purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                      Personally, I don't think it needs to be moved at all. Put on your big girl panties, people. The post/thread asked about the accident report for a race plane that happened at a race site. There was enough question in the eyes of everyone involved to think that Burnstine's background could/did play a part in the accident.

All that has been said here is background that sets the tone of the rest of the story leading up to the accident.

I don't understand this. We're all adults here. Nothing untrue or offensive has been said. Obvioulsy it's not my website, but if the nature of this thread is being called into question maybe y'all should look in the mirror...or go check out the tiddly winks tournament down at the grange hall. You guys have to understand that these are real people we're talking about...with real faults. Doesn't make them any less interesting or important. I could throw out a whole lot of pilots/owners in the warbird/racing world over the years that the casual fan would think walked on water...but the truth is that their lives 'away' from air racing was as crooked as the Rio Grande. But that doesn't matter. SO WHAT? Why the need to put this in a separate post? Is it embarassing for YOU to read? Then don't read it. Do you think it's offensive to the family? Don't you think THEY know/knew what was going on? It was 35 years ago, people.

I mean honestly...the purpose of these message boards is for people to ask questions and learn things, right? How many people have read this thread and learned something new? Hasn't it served its purpose then?

Jim
                      I agree to an extant, because I absolutely hate actions that are motivated by political correctness, butttttttt............this is Wayne's board, so he can do as he pleases. I do think the information is relevant and I hate to say, probably one of the most fascinating threads I've read in the history of this forum, so it DOES interest me quite a bit.

But I think Wayne's concern is balancing the free flow of information without "airing" people's dirty laundry for the public to see. As far as I can tell, nothing here has been "totally out to lunch" with references and links provided to back up assertions. Part of the problem is that at least one of those people involved is still alive and more or less a "current" air racer. Wayne, rightly so, doesn't want to embarrass any of the principals involved in air racing. I can totally respect that. After all, do we really want the VIP's of air racing to NOT visit this forum in fear of people having all of their "secrets" outted? Some where in between, there is a balance, but I'm not sure exactly how to define it.

One could argue that it's a lot easier to talk about pilots who are no longer with us and not able to defend themselves. Ones that are alive are another matter entirely. I believe that everything that has been relayed so far is available from public records. I don't see any harm in that. So, I guess I'm undecided which way to go. I love the discussion and interesting info, but it might be best not to talk about people who are still with us. Wayne is one of the staunchest advocates around for air racing, and I suspect he wants to keep on the good side of most owners/operators/pilots. Let's respect his wishes, whatever he decides.

My 2 cents.

Comment

My 2c

Let it stand. It is what it is, from a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post

Jim
                          No need for all that somewhat insulting banter. Nobody is REMOVING any text from view, or even suggesting doing so, but I already stated that. I don't know where you got the wrong idea.

Wayne is just speaking of moving all the NON-RACING info to a room where it would be more on-topic. It would all still be available to forum members without restriction of any kind.

And I gave up wearing big girl panties years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by sledge39;76512...
                            "Miss Foxy Lady" N70QF at Chino Air Radio August 1975...

I love the "North American Armament" sponsorship on the nose.
                            Last edited by Randy Haskin; 11-25-2009, 04:49 AM.

Comment

I thought that Miss Foxy Lady was sold to John Crocker and became Sumthin Else??

Comment

Yep thats correct.
                                Red
                                chanting...400+

Comment

Working...
                                X