Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ken Burnstine

Default Ken Burnstine

Does anyone know how to get the accident report on Ken's crash ? Heard there was some conflicting reports on the accident?

Default Re: Ken Burnstine

Do you mean the 1976 P-51 crash at Mojave? If not, then ignore the following:

The NTSB report is inconclusive, except for the mention of unfavorable winds and 40 knot gusts:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=53689&key=0

But there are some interesting details of him being a key witness in a drug smuggling case...Sabotage perhaps?

http://www.edmarger.com/articles/5ac...conspiracy.htm
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 11-18-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Anyone with color picture of Miss Foxy Lady, & Miss Suzie-Q

I remember my father telling me about that crash. Split 'S' into the ground I think. My father's impression was that Ken took a chance he didn't need to take in order to make a grand arrival at Mojave.

I've got pictures at my father's photo gallery.

Bob Guilford Photo Archive

Here's one for ya though...

I watched the accident and the split ess into the ground is my recollection too.

BillRo

Quote Originally Posted by mmu2 View Post
    Anyone with color picture of Miss Foxy Lady, & Miss Suzie-Q
    ..."Miss Suzy-Q" N69QF at Mojave '73...

..."Miss Foxy Lady" N70QF at Chino Air Radio August 1975...

So, it's obvious what happened to Miss Suzy Q, unless she was salvaged somehow. But what has become of Miss Foxy Lady? She looks fast!

I believe the late John Crocker purchased it after Ken's passing and made it into SUMTHIN' ELSE, which has since been returned to stock form.

It now exists as a TF-51 named "Kentucky Babe".
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 11-19-2009 at 02:27 PM.

The remains of Suzy Q are in the Phoenix area. I helped take some things apart about 31 years ago.

..Jim Maloney's eyewitness statement to the FAA...

RECORD OF STATEMENT

The following is a record of statement by James Maloney, pilot of...P-51 N5441V, who was flying in formation with anouther P-51 N69QF, piloted by Mr. Kenneth G. Burnstine from Chino Airport...to Mojave Airport...on June 16, 1976.

This conversation was witnessed by Inspectors...(4)...from the FAA, GADO...Van Nuys...on June 16, 1976...

"I was in trail with him (Burnstine) overhead of Mojave at eight thousand feet (MSL), indicating 250 knots when Burnstine called over the radio he was going to full power and drop down on the race course. He pulled ahead of me and did a split "S" maneuver.

I knew he was going awful fast when he rolled over. I momentarily lost sight of him (Burnstine) but did see him pull out and do a complete roll (left) maneuver followed by a quarter roll (left) then hit the ground.

Through this last roll he (Burnstine) called on the radio and said, "No (pause), oh no!" that was all he said.