'BUCK SHOTS'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

cool pics of the MM's Bucky, i must dig it out and scan it, but there was a MM built here in NZ that had a 150hp o-320 under the cowls.. was an absolute rocketship aparently, but it required the old armstrong starting as there wasnt room under the cowls for an electric started...
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

More- 'RIDGE-RUNNERS' & 'HEDGE-HOPPERS'...!("Fly Low-Fly Fast!")

Here's a good ref. shot,-illustrating the variety of different courseline grooves being flown by Unlimited Class air race pilots during a tight pylon event dogfight f/position... It's all about determination to win,-combined w/skill & strategy, while knowing your capabilities & still maintaining some margin of safety during- 'the heat of battle'!

RACE: Sun. 9/14/03-UNL GOLD-Outer 4 Pylon-

All the UNL Gold contenders are captured on the ridgeline approaching P-4 during the dicy beginning of Lap-1, following the air start launch. Viewing L-R, we see: Matt Jackson-#5 Voodoo, John Penney-#77 Rare Bear, Gary Hubler-#15 Furias w/Sherm Smoot-#86 Czech Mate up high, Skip Holm-#4 Dago Red, Tom Dwelle-#10 Critical Mass low & just behind Dago, Hoot Gibson-#99 Riff Raff v. low beyond the bushes, Stew Dawson-#105 Spirit of Texas & Randy Bailey-#911 September Pops trailing.

Skip & #4 Dago Red won @ a blistering speed of 487.938-av/mph, w/Penney & #77 Rare Bear finishing 2nd-place @ 483.942. Final standings in order for the 8-lap final by race #s: 4-77-10-86-15-105-99-911 & 5 (DNF-Lap 2). 'GREAT RACIN', guys!

DBD
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BuckyD; 04-24-2010, 09:26 AM. Reason: To delete duplicate- 'shaded smiley' in post signature

Comment

" Violated! "

Cliff Magee's beautiful bright red L-39 Albatross- Race #25-"Violated"- streaks towards the pylon, during qualifying time trials & practice at Reno '09 NCAR on Mon. 9/14/09. Magee qualified 7th-fastest in the Jet Class @ 454.783-mph & finished 6th in Sunday's Jet Gold final @ 443.026-mph.

DBD
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BuckyD; 04-08-2010, 02:10 PM. Reason: First name correction

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
          More- 'RIDGE-RUNNERS' & 'HEDGE-HOPPERS'...!("Fly Low-Fly Fast!")

Here's a good ref. shot,-illustrating the variety of different courseline grooves being flown by Unlimited Class air race pilots during a tight pylon event dogfight f/position... It's all about determination to win,-combined w/skill & strategy, while knowing your capabilities & still maintaining some margin of safety during- 'the heat of battle'!

RACE: Sun. 9/14/03-UNL GOLD-Outer 4 Pylon-

All the UNL Gold contenders are captured on the ridgeline approaching P-4 during the dicy beginning of Lap-1, following the air start launch. Viewing L-R, we see: Matt Jackson-#5 Voodoo, John Penney-#77 Rare Bear, Gary Hubler-#15 Furias w/Sherm Smoot-#86 Czech Mate high, Skip Holm-#4 Dago Red, Tom Dwelle-#10 Critical Mass low & just behind Dago, Hoot Gibson-#99 Riff Raff low beyond the bushes, Stew Dawson-#105 Spirit of Texas & Randy Bailey-#911 September Pops trailing.

Skip & #4 Dago Red won @ a blistering speed of 487.938-av/mph, w/Penney & #77 Rare Bear finishing 2nd-place @ 483.942. Final standings in order for the 8-lap final by race #s: 4-77-10-86-15-105-99-911 & 5 (DNF-Lap 2). 'GREAT RACIN', guys!

DBD
          What a shot Bucky
          Last edited by BuckyD; 04-07-2010, 02:41 PM. Reason: To delete my duplicate-'shaded smiley' in quote.
          "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Thanks, Anthony!

That was another top all-time barn-burner Unlimted Gold final, huh? (& a 'Way-Fast' one too!).

DBD

Comment

That's great with them all in the picture! Must have been exciting.

Jarrod

Comment

Bucky,

Is it Chuck McGee? I talked via email with him a few times as I was building an R/C L-39 at the time and liked the color scheme he used.

Thanks for posting all of the wonderful pictures. I have only been to Reno once about 20 years ago. Seeing all of these pictures and stories from you and the gang here has been great.

Chris

" Violated! "

Cliff Magee's beautiful bright red L-39 Albatross- Race #25-"Violated"- streaks towards the pylon, during qualifying time trials & practice at Reno '09 NCAR on Mon. 9/14/09. Magee qualified 7th-fastest in the Jet Class @ 454.783-mph & finished 6th in Sunday's Jet Gold final @ 443.026-mph.

DBD
                Last edited by BuckyD; 04-08-2010, 02:11 PM. Reason: Correct first name in quote text

Comment

Chris-

Nope, Magee's first name is Cliff (not Chris, as I'd orig. mistakenly posted). Was lookin' right at the results sheet when I drafted the photo caption text & still goofed it up (must've had your name on my mind from the last time you kept me honest!) . So, thanks again f/noting another Bucky boo-boo! Corrections made accordingly (including in your thread post quote).

DBD

P.S. - Big THX f/the 'atta-boy' & hope you get inspired enough to make a return to the Reno Air Races soon. We need more fans like yourself & 2010 is shaping up to be a great event!

Comment

DING DING DING!!!! Give that man a CIGAR!!!

Comment

BTW: I've been trying to go up to Reno for the last couple years, but money was a factor. This year I have a place to stay in Truckee and money shouldn't be a factor, TIME might be though. We'll see...

Comment

"Eternal Sunset"- 9/11/01

'GROUNDED'- America's unforgettable epic day of tragic loss on Tues. 9/11, saw a spectacular spiritual sunset over Reno's Stead Field.

DBD
                        Attached Files

Comment

"American Beauty"..............

Though not the fastest P-51D racing in the Unlimited Class at the Reno NCAR,-Olympic Jet Inc.'s- Race #52- 'American Beauty', flown by Fred Cabanas, certainly lives up to her name!

DBD
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by BuckyD; 04-12-2010, 08:07 AM.

Comment

I'm in no way in your guys' class of photography, but here is a pic of Cobra in her current home. The Arkansas Aviation Historical Foundation at Little Rock airport.

Thanks v. much, Troy. Believe you're correct - know Sundancer utilized MM fuselage & tail (per the Mendenhall ref. books). Sorry, no dice re. your req. f/Sundancer & Cobra biplane pics (ones I did have were amongst numerous slides/negs lost in two seperate studio floods suffered in years past) I'd suggest you start a seperate thread for your request & bet you'd get some good responses fm the many photogs who visit the msg. board.

BTW- Tim Bovee entered his bright yellow & blue Midget Mustang- Race #90- 'Purty Pony' at Reno '01 (+9/11+)-'02-'03-'04 & did race it @ Reno '02 (4th-pl. Bronze) & Reno '04 (3rd-pl. Bronze). Once again, sorry-no pics (none taken).

DBD
                            Attached Files
                            John Smutny

Comment

THANKS, John for the great shot & thanks Paul/Apteryx for the photo link for the ever-beautiful & rakish-looking racing biplane- Cobra. Her adapted MM fuselage is unmistakable & what a pretty racer paint scheme!

DBD
                              Last edited by BuckyD; 04-15-2010, 03:49 PM.

Comment

THANKS, John for the great shot & thanks Paul/Apteryx for the photo link for the ever-beautiful & rakish-looking racing biplane- Cobra. Her adapted MM fuselage is unmistakable & what a pretty racer paint scheme!

DBD
                                Thanks Bucky
                                It's one of my favorites, from a great era.
                                Dave Forbes is local, so it's been fun to see the changes it's gone through since its fledgling days.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X