Thread: 'BUCK SHOTS'

Default Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

Quote Originally Posted by MustangFan View Post
    Brad - Was this the first appearance of "The Prospector"?
    Didn't realize the old duffer went that far back..
    Prospector's first appearance was at the 1975 Mojave race. And for each race that Gary owned the plane--before it was sold to Whittington--the belt buckle on the nose art was different.

Thanks for the picture.

Jarrod

Lightbulb Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodeu View Post
    I would love to have seen the original Precious Metal, especially with the lower canopy. Sigh, I guess I will have to settle for the new Griffon powered one.
    Might as well throw Georgia Mae in there as well. Any pictues Mr. Dawson?

Jarrod
    Here ya go there, 'Mr. Ulrich' (), (-as per your 'spcl request)...

Sweet- "Georgia Mae" -

Mon. 9/8/86-Reno NCAR-Qualifying & Practice Days:
    Wiley Sanders' gorgeous high-buffed natural metal-finish P-51D Mustang Unlimited Class racer- #69-"Georgia Mae" (N10607) rests on the pit tarmac at Stead Field, fully-rebuilt & restored back to pristine airworthy condition, after her severe ground-loop landing accident damage the year before @ Reno '85.

DBD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Don Bucky Dawson photo- N10607- 9-8-86 -001a.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	18269  

"Remember The Raiders!"-

Today marks the 70th Anniversary of WW2's heroic & daring July 18, 1942 "Doolittle Raid" on Tokyo. Only 5 surviving raiders remain & they, along w/all their strike-force's departed comrades-in-arms,-shall never be forgotten for their daring epic mission's huge accomplishment, which did so much to help raise our great country's morale, during the darkest-days of the war.

Our brave veterans make us proud to be American & we're blessed by their service & sacrifices-rendered on our behalf. We owe them all so much. The Raiders exemplify the American spirit. Long-Live the memory of Jimmy Doolittle & his courageous Tokyo Raiders today & forever!!!
    "Blue Skies & Tailwinds", Gentlemen!
    History links:

* Official Raiders Reunion Home Page: http://www.doolittleraider.com/

* Crew lists/photos: http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/fac...t.asp?id=15352

DBD

(We can also proudly-note when remembering our hero-Jimmy Doolittle, that he was also one of Air Racing History's great champion air race pilots!)

Name:	Don Bucky Dawson photo- B25 Executive Sweet- 9-15-03 -007a.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	309.4 KB 
ID:	18270  
    Last edited by BuckyD; 04-18-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Arrow Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

Old Blue!”-

RACE: Sat. 9/16/83-UNL HT#2- Bob Yancey & his F4U-4 Corsair- #101-'Old Blue' (NX49092) skim just above the desert sagebrush,-heading f/old Outer 4 Pylon. Bob finished 5th in last place @ 332.060-av/mph in this 6-lap event (-which was won by Steve Hinton, flying the Planes of Fame Museum's Super Corsair- Race #1-'Bud Light Special' @ 403.578-av/mph).

DBD

Name:	Don Bucky Dawson- NX49092- 9-17-83 -002c.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	18271  

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyD View Post
    Old Blue!-

RACE: Sat. 9/16/83-UNL HT#2- Bob Yancey & his F4U-4 Corsair- #101-'Old Blue' (NX49092) skim just above the desert sagebrush,-heading f/old Outer 4 Pylon. Bob finished 5th in last place @ 332.060-av/mph in this 6-lap event (-which was won by Steve Hinton, flying the Planes of Fame Museum's Super Corsair- Race #1-'Bud Light Special' @ 403.578-av/mph).

DBD
    What ever happened to Bob Yancey's Corsair? I thought he pulled the motor off it hand hung it on his Yak, but I don't know what happened to the rest of the F4U.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    What ever happened to Bob Yancey's Corsair? I thought he pulled the motor off it hand hung it on his Yak, but I don't know what happened to the rest of the F4U.

Will
    If I remember correctly, Bob's Corsair was the one that Ladd Doctor was paralyzed in when he sawed Howard's Bearcat wing off during that horrible takeoff incident at Oshkosh back in 1999. I don't know if Cavanaugh Flight Museum still owns the remains, or if they were totalled by the insurance company.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyD View Post
    Here ya go there, 'Mr. Ulrich' (), (-as per your 'spcl request)...
    Thanks,

Jarrod

"P.M."- Merlin Maintenance

Culled from the B&W photo vaults of The Dawsonian 'Buck Shot' Archives...

Wed. 9/14/83-Reno NCAR-End of Qualifying: Don Whittington's crew burns the midnight oil, working on P-51D Mustang Race #09-Precious Metal's Rolls-Royce Merlin V-12 race engine, after Don qualified PM as the 4th-fastest Unlimited w/his speed of 434.888-mph, behind- (1)-Neil Anderson/Sea Fury #8-Dreadnought @ 446.392, (2)-Rick Brickert/P-51D #4-Dago Red @ 439.219, (3)-Ron Hevle/P-51D #7-Strega @ 435.977 & ahead of (5)-Lyle Shelton/F8F #77-Rare Bear @ 432.047.

Reno '83 proved to be a very-tough race year f/the Precious Metal Race Team: Friday's Gold Heat #1 on 9/16, saw Race #09 as a DNF, after Whittington was forced to pull-out on Lap-1 due to an oil leak & a broken valve.

Extensive work was done rebuilding the motor damage & Don ran Precious Metal in Saturday's UNL Gold Heat #2 at cruise-power- simply to slow-time the engine, while making a showing f/his team, in order to stay in competition for Sunday's 8-lap UNL Gold final.

After all the hard efforts put-forth by his race crew, Don Whittington came-in 2nd in the Gold event & just by the skin of his teeth, as PM's cranky Merlin sneezed on the last lap & he had to declare a Mayday right after crossing the finish line behind winner-Neil Anderson in #8-Dreadnought. This Gold Race saw much attrition, as only two other Unlimiteds were able to complete the race: John Crocker's P-51D #6-Sumthin' Else was 3rd & Bill Destefani's Mustang #72-Mangia Pane finished 4th. Dago Red, Strega & Rare Bear were all DNFs.

DBD

Name:	Don Bucky Dawson photo- N5483V- 9-14-83 -002c.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	18277  
    Last edited by BuckyD; 04-24-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Quick!....Hide that or the NTSB will be obligated to make recommendations on the use of ladders in the pits. As a boy I was chastised for commiting all three of those step ladder sins.