'BUCK SHOTS'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

Is La Patrona "Boss Lady" formerly Mike Brown's "Boss Man"?

Comment

Yes, that's correct. And if I remember correctly, after Mr. Lewis purchased the airplane, it was named "El Jefe" for about a year before becoming "La Patrona."

Edit - I found a photo of it as "El Jefe" at the page bottom of the following link:

Last edited by FlyKidChris; 09-10-2012, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
        "Blind Man in the E-R!"

Unsung Heroes-Keep ‘Em Flyin!”- Tue. 9/15/87-Reno NCAR-Qualifying & Practice:

First of 3-successive Wright R-3350 engine changes made during race week by Levolor Racing Team on their Hawker Sea Fury Unlimited Class racer- #88-‘Blind Man’s Bluff’ (NX85SF), is captured in-progress inside Al Redick’s CIA Hangar late Tuesday. The amount of effort put out by the Levolor Racing Team to keep their big beautiful race bird in competition was incredible to witness (& will likely never be equalled- 3 heart transplants in a week!!!), & it allowed team pilot-Skip Holm to fly #88 to a 2nd-place finish in Sunday’s Silver final.

Skip got to fly her again at Reno '94 & '97, when NX85SF returned as Race #10-"Critical Mass", during the SF's 10-year Unlimited campaign stint (1993-2003) under owner/pilot-Tom Dwelle's family-run race team & her extensive retro-conversion back to stock Sea Fury configuration is now nearing-completion.

DBD
        And I'm the guy standing on the step ladder right behind the prop. Goodness it's been 25 years tomorrow since that pic was taken. Bucky my memory has never been that great but I could swear if we didn't, it sure felt like we did 4 engines. I started wondering where they were all coming from. That is very very close to the best week of my life. I never got to see much because we changed engines by night and slept by day. In fact we were in surgery most nights that week. We had a tail wheel fail the first day that took out the rudder of which Ian Gordon had to re-fab that night. Fuel pump stuff on Monday. Many may have forgotten but in my mind we made history that year. Anyone remember the raw fuel blowing out the stacks when it finally started every day.
        Larry Burton is still building stuff. He is building a 4X8 HO scale model rail road and the detail is mind boggling. He amazed me then and he still amazes me. Anyone who gets to call him a friend has a blessed life. For me that was the most incredible year in my life. to all of you and thanks for the memory Bucky.
        Roger O'Day

Comment

Big Thanks, Roger, for posting the additional BMB photo footnote & for serving (& surviving! ) as a stalwart unsung hero on that amazing Reno '87 UNL crew. I dunno how you guys stayed with it through all that gremlin adversity, but you did & helping keep that big bad red Super Hawker in the game for Skipper to race all the way thru Sunday was a herculean achievement in anybody's record book. That's a feat worth being proud-of always.

DBD

Comment

"Wee Willy II Sundown"

Sat. 9/8/12-Reno NCAR Arrivals: Planes of Fame's faithful ole' stocker P-51D Mustang settles-in for the night on the Stead Field tarmac, ~basking in the warm glow of another spectacular Nevada desert sunset.

DBD
            Attached Files

Comment

" Workin' The Clock !"

Tue. 9/11/12-12:50pm-Reno NCAR-UNL Qualifying & Practice: Defending national champion race pilot-Steven Hinton scopes-out the racecourse pylon, while executing a masterful 493.299-mph Q-Run flying Bill 'Tiger' Destefani's mighty P-51D Mustang #7-'Strega', to log fastest-time in class on Stead Field's newly-shortened 8.1034-mile oval.

DBD
              Attached Files

Comment

"The CUT!"

Sun. 9/16/12-Reno NCAR-Unlimited Breitling Gold Championship Race:

Team Rare Bear race pilot-Stewart Dawson attempts an unsuccessful timely correction to avoid Race #77's 4:47pm Lap-4 cut of Outer 4 Pylon, that resulted in a 16-sec. penalty f/7 laps flown, in a disappointing DNF UNL Gold challenge showing f/The Bear, during this past September's comeback race season event finale.

Lewis Air Racing Legends' RB crew put-forth a valiant effort to stay in the running all thru race week (-after logging a very-impressive 490.002-mph second-fastest Q-time), despite being plagued-by more than anyone's share of performance gremlin issues.

"Better-Luck Next Year!", guys + a hearty- "GO BEAR!~2013" air race fan cheer goes-out to this professional champion-caliber Unlimited Class air team.

DBD
                Attached Files
                Last edited by BuckyD; 10-12-2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

"Roarin' Big Roundies!" ~

Sun. 9/16/12-Reno NCAR UNL Breitling Gold Trophy Final: Lewis Air Racing Team's two UNL Class Gold Champion stablemates- Grumman F8F-2 Race #77-'Rare Bear' (P-Stewart Dawson) & Hawker Sea Fury-Race #232 (P-Robert 'Hoot' Gibson) duel against each other racing around the pylons, much to the delight of the fans in the stands, during this September's Gold Trophy showdown.

DBD
                  Attached Files

Comment

Suh-weet! I do like the competition shots (two or more airplanes on the course).

Nice bit of interest in the background, too.

Thanks again, Bucky D.

Comment

I was hoping you'd get a few shots up before I head off to the desert at the end of the month!

Good stuff! You all digital yet?

Thanks Buck...

Neal

Comment

Thanks Chris & Neal f/the two 'thumbs-ups'~ v-much-appreciated!

Neal- I went digital in 2008 (-the last year I shot Kodachrome slide film) & then all-digital the following year. Glad I was able to have the opportunity to learn the basic fundamentals of 35mm photography as I did (& benefitting fm the excellent mentoring you provided when I first got started), which continues to serve me well. (-Do still miss the vibrant color & archival properties of Kodachrome.)

DBD

Comment

*'Different Strokes!'*- #38-"Precious Metal"

Pilot/owner-Thom Richard's amazing & beautiful ultra-exotic North American P-51XR 'Mixmaster Mustang'-N6WJ features a very-impressive array of super-mods, topped-off by its' powerful RR Griffon V-12 engine & contra-rotating propellor combo-pack. This unique a/c truly lives-up to it's name as one of the Unlimited Class air racing motorsport's coolest & rarest treasures. The spectacle of this gem-polished metal go-fast machine, along w/the distinctive- 'Griffon Growl' it emits, is unforgettable.

We race fans are lucky to be able to still have the opportunity to appreciate & enjoy watching a real Mixmaster-'Stang going around the racecourse in Unlimited competition during the present era, while oldtimers still speak about the days when Ed Browning's legendary RB-51 #5-'Red Baron once ruled the skies.

"BIG THANKS!" goes-out to Thom & Team Precious Metal, along w/their growing sponsor roster, for continuing to field their magnificent raceplane at Reno, while further-refining PM to achieve its' maximum UNL Gold Race performance capability for future outings. 'Way-To-Go!', Guys!!!

Here's a 'Buck Shots' mini-gallery Reno 2012 photo salute to this fun gang fm all us fans of~ 'The Mighty Mixmaster'!

DBD
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by BuckyD; 10-19-2012, 01:44 PM.

Comment

HELLCAT!”

5/17/09-Planes of Fame Airshow-Chino, CA: Commemorative Air Force/ Southern California Wing’s rare Camarillo-based Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat "Minsi III" (N1078Z/Buaer#70222) performs a flypast f/the crowd. This warbird is restored in the markings of Cmdr. David McCampbell, USN, Air Group Commander of VF-19 aboard the carrier USS Essex. Grumman’s battle-tough F6F became the prime ace-maker American fighter of WW2, w/305 Hellcat aces & was credited w/destroying 5,271 aircraft during its’ service w/the U.S. Navy & U.S. Marine Corps (5,163 in the Pacific & 8-more during the invasion of Southern France, +52 w/the British Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm- more than any other Allied aircraft).

DBD
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by BuckyD; 10-21-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

"Red-Hot Chilli Pepper!" ~ Lee Behel's GP-5 Sport Class Air Racer

Photos (L-R):

1- 'Dream Machine!'~ Sun. 9/10/12-Reno NCAR-Sport Class Practice Session:
                              Lee Behel puts some snoose to the super-hot race-prepared V-8 engine on his fast streamlined GP-5 Sport Class Gold racer~ #5-"Sweet Dreams" (N501GP), while flying down-along Stead Field's E. Chute straightaway.

The sleek & compact raceplane was originally-designed by George Pereira & put together by George Backovich,-intended as a lightweight UNL Class entry, but later class weight restrictions relegated the GP-5 to Sport/SS competition. The racer's powerful V-8 boasts 625+ h.p.!

2- 'Hot Property!'~ Mon. 9/17/12-Reno NCAR-Departures: Lee Behel taxis-out #5-"Sweet Dreams" f/his Stead Field departure, after making a great showing @ Reno 2012.

3 & 4- "Rockin' Rocketeer!"~ Sun. 9/16/12-Reno NCAR-Awards Banquet: This year's recipient of the Sport Class' 'Rocketeer-of-The-Year Award'~ Race pilot-Lee Behel displays great enthusiasm w/a few 'hot steps' up on-stage, after receipt fm presenter-Ms. Tara Bowlby/Miss Reno Rodeo 2013, f/outstanding competitive performance fielding his V-8 powered GP-5 Sport Class Gold racer #5-"Sweet Dreams" to qualify 4th-in-class @ 363.233-mph & also place 4th during Sunday's Gold final @ 359.573-av/mph.

This special award (-created & sponsored-by Nemesis Air Racing) is presented annually for the aircraft displaying 'most-improved performance' in competition & features the authentic Rocketeer helmet fm the famous Hollywood film.

The ex-USAF fighter jock started air racing at Reno '98 by racing 3 different Sport Class entries that year & Lee's competed-consecutively every year since, also jumping into the Jets in '02 & usually competes in both classes. Behel became a Sport Gold Class national champion @ Reno 2008.

DBD
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by BuckyD; 10-21-2012, 03:10 PM.

Comment

"Lady Jo vs.The Corsair "~

Fri. 9/14/12-Reno NCAR-UNL Bronze HT2C: Exciting photo capture of a classic 'Vee vs. Roundy' stock warbird air racing duel, as pilot-Dan Vance flies a tight courseline w/Daryl Bond's P-51D Mustang #81-'Lady Jo' (N327DB), while fending-off a fierce challenge fm rookie John Currenti in Doug Matthews' gullwing F4U-4 Corsair #24 (N240CF).

DBD
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by BuckyD; 10-25-2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X