• Show
Clear All

Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

Here's a few from '06.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey BUD_XXX-

Good Morning! Those cool shots well show the sunrise 'mass ascension' getting underway (I like that middle shot), and illustrate just what a grand spectacle the Reno Balloon Races really are. Nice way to greet the day, w/all those bright colors blooming all around you w/the golden sunlight basking its' glow onto everything. (Kinda like plant food for human beings - good for the eyes-mind-spirit ).

DBD

Comment

Here comes- 'The Big Ole' BUICK'!

A couple shots from Reno '09 NCAR Qualifying...

(L-R) First soft-lighted shot shows Matt Jackson driving #8 DREADNOUGHT around the course on his Mon. 9/14/09 Q-Run, posting a speed of 434.569-mph.

Second head-on shows Brian Sanders flying Race 8 the following day, upping their team's official Q-speed to 449.357-mph, to move 'The Buick' further-up the pack into the 4th-fastest slot in the Unlimited Class' final qualifications standings.

(I think it would be safe to say, that just about everybody loves seeing this big R-4360-powered Hawker Super Sea Fury bodaciously hauling around the racecourse most every year, while keepin' all the Golden Boys honest "GO TEAM DREADNOUGHT!"

DBD
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BuckyD; 01-05-2010, 10:26 AM.

Comment

BUCKY D:

Thankx, I cannot take the credit though....My friend Barry took them, and I'm sure, since he is currently without a PC, would well approve of my posting on this board.

These were among about a thousand pictures he took when he went to Sturgis that year, then the Wendover/Bonneville Salt flats Speed trials, and then the Reno event... wanna see some scanky Biker girls? ...No..no..you don't!

But here is another pic he got...
          Attached Files

Comment

the infamous Merlin's Magic motor. Didnt they auction it off? I wonder how big the persons desk is that won it, because that would be the most awsomest paper weight I could ever imagine.

Comment

'TOM'S CAT'!!!

A 7-shot salute to veteran warbird pilot/owner- Tom Camp & his WW2 Classic Grumman 'Iron Works' FM-2 Wildcat- Race #2 AIR BISCUIT.

It's ALWAYS a treat to see & hear this tough old Navy fighter bird bendin' the sticks out on the Reno racecourse. Big thanks to Tom & his dedicated crew for keepin' her flyin'!

DBD
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BuckyD; 01-13-2010, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I have a decal of their nose art on my hardhat, love this plane. Thanks for showing her some love Bucky.

Comment

Hi Bucky,

What a great group of photos you've posted. Thanks for bringing back all the memories.

Was through your neck of the woods on the "milk run" to Juneau last month, but Alaska Air never seems to stop long enough to say "HI".

Bucky, when you get a moment please send me your shipping address. I have here in my shop the original set of wing tips for Stiletto (White with Red Line Oil decals). I can't think of a more fitting place than to see them nestled in your collection of air racing paraphernalia.

Talk to you soon,
                  Bruce

Comment

Hi Bruce-

Thanks for your kind kudos & sorry I missed you last month when you passed thru.

Re. N332 w-tips - that'd be awesome & much appreciated. I'll give 'em a good home & have just the perfect display case for them. All contact info still the same, but I'll PM you my email & ship-to, etc.

Hope we can meet up at Reno 2010, if not sooner.

Highest Regards & Keep 'Em Flyin'!

Bucky

Comment

More- "RIVAL PURSUITS": P-40 vs. ZERO

Double-nose portrait shot fm Chino '09 POF Airshow- captures Tony Banta's classic Curtiss P-40E Warhawk & POF's ultra-rare original- Japanese Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero, resting together on the ramp between 'airshow combat sorties' - one of WW2's most-legendary pursuit fighter arch-rivalries of the Pacific Theater.

DBD
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by BuckyD; 01-09-2010, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Bruce -- Great choice of a home for those historic wingtips. I can't think of anyone who will treasure them more than Bucky will, or take better care of them...

Are they metal, or fiberglass? Do you know who actually made them?

Neal

Comment

Hi Neal,

Sorry I missed you at Reno.

Yes, I also think it is a perfect place for them.

They are made of fiberglass and look as if they were made up in a mold. From the looks of the quality I would guess that Dennis Schoenfelder or the late Les Crowder may have made them. There were so many talented people involved with the project, it is hard to say. Matt Jackson may know as he I believe he was working on Stiletto in 1983/1984 when it was in Zeuschel's shop.

Stop by Tehachapi some time and we can visit.

Cheers,
                          Brucer

Comment

Yes it has been a while since we've seen you, Bruce. Birgitta is in Death Valley working as a Park Ranger and I'll be headed down soon. You are not far away -- I'll let you know when we might be in the area.

I have a couple of Dago Red questions I've been meaning to ask you -- I'll start a new thread in a day or so.

Sorry about derailing your great thread here Buck -- I'll shut up now, and add a Tom Camp shot from this year...

Neal

Last edited by wingman; 01-10-2010, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Hey Bob,

Just so you'll know and be even more jealous, my brother won that Merlin's Magic broken motor. We turned it into a Reno Pylon Racing table, then sold it to an air race fan. The now 2-piece oil pan became a recliner side table. Photos at www.aerocf.com/2008_P-51_Artifacts.php
                              Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by TXSculptor View Post
                                Hey Bob,

Just so you'll know and be even more jealous, my brother won that Merlin's Magic broken motor. We turned it into a Reno Pylon Racing table, then sold it to an air race fan. The now 2-piece oil pan became a recliner side table. Photos at www.aerocf.com/2008_P-51_Artifacts.php
                                Enjoy!
                                you just had to rub it in....
                                awsome table

Comment

Working...
                                X