Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

"Morning Mirror"...

SE Alaska bush pilot-Jeff Carlin taxis-in Temsco Airlines' DeHavilland DHC-3 Otter (N2783J) along Tongass Narrows f/the company's Ketchikan seadrome dock, on a beautiful sunny-but-chilly February winter morning (w/some thin surface ice dead ahead), in this vintage Buck Shot. Ketchikan, Alaska, btw,-has 4 Seasons- "June-July-August & -WINTER"!

DBD

Note: Otter 83J is sister to Lyle's- 'Big Red Mama'- N68086 (read the book)
    Attached Files

Comment

Bet I wasn't the only one hoping to see these two beautiful classic WW2 arch-rival fighter birds get into a pylon duel out on the Stead Field racecourse this year f/oldtime's sake, huh?

DBD

(I have to admit, I was both surprised & pleased to see Frasca's FW return to race f/a second year @ Reno '11 NCAR. The Bee was just exquisite to see, both on the ground & in the air!)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BuckyD; 11-15-2011, 04:53 PM.

Comment

" Who Let The Dogs Out?"!!! -

RACE: Sat. 9/14/85-Reno NCAR- The mad & rad pack of big heavy-metal thoroughbred Unlimited Gold racers turn old Outer 6 Pylon to come howling down the fast W. Chute's 'Valley of Speed' during Saturday's UNL Heat-3A, in this vintage Buck Shot. Neil Anderson in Super SF #8-Dreadnought leads Super Corsair #1 flown by Steve Hinton, ahead of Rick Brickert-P-51D #4-Dago Red, John Crocker-P-51D #6-Sumthin' Else & Skip Holm-P-51D #84-Stiletto, w/Ron Hevle-P-51D #7-Strega & Lloyd Hamilton-Super SF #15-Furias engaged in a trailing battle up high. Bud Granley in P-51D #11-Miss America was tail-end Charlie in this barn-burner Sat. Gold heat, which was won by Dreadnought @ 436.947-av/mph. Sumthin' Else pulled-out on Lap-5 & Strega was out the next lap, w/all three corncob racers finishing well.

DBD
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BuckyD; 10-28-2011, 03:13 PM.

Comment

That's a really neat picture. I can't remember seeing one remotely like it before.

Jarrod

Comment

"Little Tony The Tiger!"

RACE: Fri. 9/16/11-Reno NCAR-Formula One-Heat-3B -

Brian Reberry & Cassutt III M-Race #592-Little Tony The Tiger grease-by the pylon w/Englishman-Stephen Partridge-Hicks & Slipknot #40-Miss USA hot on his tail f/the entire 8-lap F1 heat, to finish 3rd @ 159.567 & 4th @ 159.477-av/mph respectively.

Gentlemen- now THAT's some- "Great Racing!"

DBD

(What a imaginative & way-cool paint scheme design f/the little Tiger racer! Bravo!!!)
            Attached Files

Comment

Buck got shot.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ken from PG View Post
                Buck got shot.
                "Ouch"! Thx, Ken,-f/coverin' my six w/your steady Nikkor lense...

Speakin' of-'coverin' - I know the Buckster looks like he's auditioning f/a part in the next 'Mummy' kid fright flick, but comin' down fm Alaska to live & work in the hot Nevada desert- I absolutely havta cover-up to protect my geezer white guy hide fm the wrath of Ole' Sol , -or I'll 'melt' 4-sure!

DBD

FYI- Columbia makes the greatest U-V protective clothing gear & I swear by it. My 'shooting gloves' are made f/fishermen & rated SPF30 (People don't believe me, I know, -when I tell them my hands actually feel cool when they see me wearing them in sunny 90+degree wx, but it's really true. I own three pair & you can throw 'em in the washing machine, no prob)

Comment

Originally posted by Ken from PG View Post
                  Buck got shot.
                  In the way, as usual.

Comment

"TAHOE CLIPPER!"...

Sun. 9/7/97-Stampede Reservoir-

A selected Buck Shot fm the archives, -captures Canadian aviator-Trevor Ross' perfectly-restored classic Grumman JRF-5 Goose amphibian C-FNIF (s/n B-129) flying alongside Dennis Buehn's big Grumman SA-16A Albatross,-along the shores of scenic Stampede Reservoir located on the Little Truckee River W. of Reno and not too far fm beautiful sunny Lake Tahoe.

Thumbnail history: Built 6/45 f/the USN, after WW2 this Goose saw duty w/the CAA (today's FAA) in Alaska as N101/N121 before civilian operations in the USA as N5096K. Her many years of commercial airline service were all logged in Canada along the B.C. coast as CF-NIF/C-FNIF flying f/Trans-Provincial Airlines & Pacific Coastal Airlines. Ross aquired the a/c following a bad ground-loop runway ldg & had the Goose completely restored by his close pal-John Hill/Aeroflight Industries.

After completion, Trevor flew it fm Vancouver, B.C. to the Reno '97 Air Races f/display during race week-parked there alongside DB's big SA-16A. Following its' Reno appearance, Ross sold the JRF to Tuthill Corp. in Chicago to become N21A. Antilles Seaplanes LLC in NC purchased the plane in Dec. '07 as their first demonstrator Goose-to attract sales interest f/the company's proposed new-build examples, but it was wrecked 1/29/08 in a water-landing accident off Marathon Key, FL. Chuck Greenhill aquired the remains of B-129 f/spare parts to help support his flying Goose & JRF-6B restoration currently in-progress in the Midwest.

This year's RR Heritage Trophy competition at Reno '11 NCAR, featured three of Grumman's famous twin-engined amphibian flying boats: Widgeon, Mallard & Albatross - but it was significantly-noted that no Goose example was on-hand to participate,-to complete the Iron Works' amphib-twin series display at Stead Field.

DBD

(P.S.- Huge THX goes out to owner/pilots-Trevor Ross & Dennis Buehn f/graciously-accomodating w/their beautiful Grummans f/this fun & exciting A-2-A shoot & doing a superb job of flying them that gorgeous day to get these magnificent water birds captured on 'film' f/posterity.)

(P.S.S.- Thx also to Fence Sense f/setting Buck straight on the correct site location of the photo!)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BuckyD; 12-27-2011, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                      "Ouch"! Thx, Ken,-f/coverin' my six w/your steady Nikkor lense...

Speakin' of-'coverin' - I know the Buckster looks like he's auditioning f/a part in the next 'Mummy' kid fright flick, but comin' down fm Alaska to live & work in the hot Nevada desert- I absolutely havta cover-up to protect my geezer white guy hide fm the wrath of Ole' Sol , -or I'll 'melt' 4-sure!

DBD

FYI- Columbia makes the greatest U-V protective clothing gear & I swear by it. My 'shooting gloves' are made f/fishermen & rated SPF30 (People don't believe me, I know, -when I tell them my hands actually feel cool when they see me wearing them in sunny 90+degree wx, but it's really true. I own three pair & you can throw 'em in the washing machine, no prob)
                      "Bucky of Arabia" with his Bob Cratchit gloves.

Seriously though, your gear all makes good sense to me as someone who lives under a big Aussie-style hat during race week.

Comment

Bucky will be standing tall and still taking pictures because of his wardrobe as all of us are a pile of ash for standing out in the big red meatball. He does look like he could audition for a mummy movie though!
                        Last edited by Ken from PG; 11-05-2011, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Hey Rob & Ken-

Yes indeed- U-V skin damage fm bein' out in w/o your bare skin protected IS v. serious stuff, and I, along w/many of my generation, wish we'd known-better when we were young & hangin' out at the beach all that time w/our pals 'back in the day'. (Some of you recall the accepted trend of liberally-applying Johnson's Baby Oil all over your body f/sunbathing to get that- 'great deep tan', huh? ) Oh Yeah. Even after getting severely-sunburned, I remember many times heading back to the beach to be w/the social scene & then hiding under a big beach towel or blanket to keep fm totally-turning into a piece of bacon! Crazy Nuts!-I tell ya'!

Spending countless hours out in a boat fishing & almost 40-straight years of two-week annual stints shooting aviation photos out in the hot sun has certainly taken its' toll personally, since the early days when ballcaps & a little sunscreen was the extent of protection, including at all those air races & air show events, staring up into the sky. We all know now, the damage is residual. Even overcast days offer-up a good dose of solar radiation.

Here's a couple portrait photos I had my good Japanese photo-journalist pal-Ike Shimizu take of yours-truly in company w/my friend & longtime inspiration-Jim Larsen. Jim, as many of you know, has long-been renowned as- 'The Dean' of modern-era Air Racing Photographers, aviation photo-journalist par-excellence & also a successful aerodynamicist/designer by trade, as well as an av/historian in his own right.

Now, Jim's been at it since I was just a kid reading about air racing in the magazines & covering all the major events, and there's a simple reason why we're both wearing all these duds in the hot desert- 'survival gear'! Protecting yourself well fm the sun's rays not only can keep you alive longer, but prevents premature aging of your face & hands so you don't look like you got the jump on being a 'centinarian'.

I mentioned my shooting gloves-and f/anyone interested, they're made by SOLARSTOP tm. I've tried almost a dozen different-style sun hat designs & this one I'm wearing in the photo is absolutely supreme in every way. It's made by Dortman Pacific Headgear, & they've been in business since 1921. Again, my fave shirt & pants (-like those I'm wearin' in Ken's candid pic above-which are convertable to shorts) are awesome lightweight Columbia Sportswear-'Titanium'-style (SPF+30) clothing. Shirts come in white, khaki, green, blue & even a fine-patterned plaid/stripe version.

Wish I could still run around like- 'nature boy' as many folks still do while playing out in the sun like a kid, but those days are over 4-sure f/Ole' Buck, unfortunately. Larsen somehow manages to stay young-lookin', while maintaining a good sense of style w/his blue signature denim threads & darker twill sun hat. Me- Like I said-I'm still tryin' to stay ready in costume f/that screen audition I've been hopin' f/someday in "The Mummy"-Part-whatever...

Anywho, all you outdoors-lovers out there- "Go Have Lotsa Fun In The Sun" & be careful while yer doin' it! 'Just Sayin'...

DBD
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by BuckyD; 12-27-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

"Baby Boomer"...!

Reno NCAR-PRS-Sat. 6/17/11:

Fred Telling (Port Orange, FL) & his T-6 Gold racer- #89-"Baby Boomer" roar-on-by the middle course pylon can during PRS practice flying last June. Fred last-raced 'Boomer' to a 5th-place finish in the T-6 Gold @ Reno '08 & this year alternate vet sixer jockey-Lee Oman (Sequim, WA) flew Race #89 in competition this year.

DBD
                            Attached Files

Comment

"Yellow-Noser Scramble!"...

Mon. 9/15/86-Reno NCAR Departures-

Tom Kelley in Race #19-Lou IV (N51TK) & his pal- Dean 'Cutter' Cutshall in P-51D Race #91-Cutter's Capers (N51KD) takeoff together fm Stead Field following exciting race week competitions @ Reno '86, to head back to their home base in Ft. Wayne, IN.

Kelley managed to make it all the way into that year's Sunday 8-lap UNL Gold Championship final to get 6th-place (367.561-av/mph) after completing 7 laps. UNL rookie Cutshall handily-won Reno '86's 6-lap UNL Bronze @ 377.736-av/mph.

Veteran air race fans well-remember both these two distinctive yellow-beak blue-trimmed Mustangs regularly competing 'back in the day': Tom Kelley's #19-Lou IV first raced at Reno '78 w/Jimmy Leeward & Paul Poberezny sharing race pilot duty, & next Kelley's partner-John Dilley raced Lou IV consecutively all thru the 1979-1985 seasons & then Tom Kelley was the last to race his own Mustang @ Reno '86. Dean Cutshall raced his #91 during 1986-87 & 1990-91-92 race seasons.

DBD
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by BuckyD; 11-15-2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Always did love those paint jobs.
                                sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                                http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Working...
                                X