Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

"Playing with Props". . . .

Ok, as-promised previously, here's a series of ref. photos to add to the discussion regarding Unlimited propeller experiments tried-out on Tsunami (Sky Prop & Scimitar + #18's regular T28-blade setup f/ref.), Strega-'claws', Pardue's Fury + Sam Richardson's Czech Ride Yak-both fitted w/HS props featuring spcl blade tips. For sheets 'n grins, & to make a even 'Baker's Dozen',-I also threw-in a couple circa-Reno '90 & '92 pics of Jim Mott's Super Chief Sea Fury (N878M) showing two versions of same prop mounted on Jim's HD transport Centaurus (think the tips were just reprofiled following the prop ding incident).

Enjoy! (Big Jim can elaborate further, I'm sure... If any one else feels inclined to chime-in as well, please do.)

DBD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 01-25-2011, 03:41 PM. Reason: Flip image

Comment

Hey Bucky, did they change the rotation direction of Strega that year as well? I think the picture is backwards.

Comment

Thanks f/the 'heads-up', Mike! Image flipped f/correct orientation viewing. It was a v. late nite post & should've been sleeping (& guess I was already, apparently). Appreciate the extra set of eyes & covering my six (again).

DBD

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
          Thanks f/the 'heads-up', Mike! Image flipped f/correct orientation viewing. It was a v. late nite post & should've been sleeping (& guess I was already, apparently). Appreciate the extra set of eyes & covering my six (again).

DBD
          Bucky, i recall seeing the original article on here or pylon1 back in the day that the tiger claw was reversible.. i notice the pics of the tiger claw has stripes on one side and the pic of the prop on race 7 has no stripes.. so maybe it was in the reversed position...
          just a thought but possibly just really bad memory
          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

I thought something looked a little strange. Nice pictures as always Bucky. I missed seeing the skyprop but I saw them fly the other one.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
              Bucky, i recall seeing the original article on here or pylon1 back in the day that the tiger claw was reversible.. i notice the pics of the tiger claw has stripes on one side and the pic of the prop on race 7 has no stripes.. so maybe it was in the reversed position...
              just a thought but possibly just really bad memory
              What you're seeing is the 1995 version versus the 1996 'modified' version.

Comment

"Numbered Players"...

Mon. 9/14/87-Reno NCAR: As the sun approaches high noon over Stead Field, Unlimited racers stage along the ramp in readiness f/the start of UNL qualifying & practice.

Viewing front-to-back fm atop the fuel truck, we see a stacked-lineup of Wiley Sanders' pair of racing P-51D Mustangs- #96 "Jeannie Too" (P-Ron Hevle) & #69 "Georgia Mae" (P-John Putman), the Levolor-sponsored Sea Fury #88 "Blind Man's Bluff (P-Skip Holm) & Frank Sanders' Super Sea Fury- #8 "Dreadnought" (P-Rick Brickert), w/Lefty Gardner's P-38 #13 "White Lightnin" off to the right.

DBD
                Attached Files

Comment

AH, 1987, the year of The Great Shafter Massacre.

Comment

Originally posted by Race7 View Post
                    AH, 1987, the year of The Great Shafter Massacre.
                    Which airplanes and pilots were involved in that? Obviously Strega and Miss TNT but I think there were others as well.

Comment

Eddie Van Fossen - Miss TNT - T-6 Gold
                      Ron Hevle - Jeannie Too - Unlimited Bronze
                      John Putnam - Georgia Mae - Unlimited Silver
                      Tiger - Strega - Unlimited Gold

Good times back then.

Comment

"The Hun!". . .

While I was editing slides recently, I came across my series of shots capturing Skip Holm's Sat. 9/11/04 Stead Field arrival in North American F-100D #0-52888,-which included a pretty exciting buzz pass prior to landing & blowing a tire.

The F-100's my favorite USAF Century-series jet fighter, & I was reminded of great times watching the USAF Thunderbirds Jet Demo Team performances flying the Super Sabre as a kid in the 1950s & seeing F-100s come thru while living at Perrin AFB in Sherman, TX. during '58-59. The next time I saw a Super Sabre was in the mid-1970s at Mojave, Ca. when Flight Systems, Inc. was working with them.

Digging further into the archives, I also came across these two old May '68 color snapshots of USAF F-100Ds in Vietnam-given to me by my late friend- Art Nelson, who took them while stationed over there during the war.

The F-100 first flew on 5/25/53 & was the first USAF production fighter capable of supersonic speed in level flight. A total of 2,290 examples were built (1,274 of them being the definative D-model).

Say, I'd sure like to see Dean "Cutter" Cutshall's magnificently-restored F-100F up close & in flight! See link- http://www.f-100.org/hun035.shtml

What a great classic jet!

DBD
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by BuckyD; 02-03-2011, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I know it had it's issues as a fighter and ended up shining as a ground attack ride, but to me the Hun always just looked like a fighter should. It looked sleek, powerful and mean. Even the gear stance with the nose gear well back gave it a rakish look.
                          That arrival by skip was the first time I had seen one fly up close since the Thunderbirds traded them out.
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

What's the story with it sitting in the dirt?

GP

Comment

Hi GP-

As mentioned, Skip blew a tire on landing & veered-off to the right of the runway. See the WIX link for photos (scroll-down the page a bit):

As I recall, it took some time in finding a replacement tire & the F-100 was on grounded status in the static display ramp during Reno '04 event dates.

DBD

Comment

Thanks Bucky,

I missed the bit about the blowout.

GP

Comment

Working...
                                X