'BUCK SHOTS'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

Great Tribute "Bucky" D to a great friend & pilot,Al Goss.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Philip's Racer looked good in the air -- a nice tribute to his friends...

Comment

"SPARKY!"....

RACE: Sat. 9/18/10-UNL Silver HT-3B-

Here's Brant Seghetti & P-51D #44-"Sparky" lookin' great running in 2nd-place behind Jimmy Leeward & #177-"Galloping Ghost", during Saturday's Silver heat race. It was an all-Mustang affair, save for John-Curtiss Paul's P-40N-"Parrothead".

BIG CONGRATS to the Seghetti Family & crew for a strong showing this year, resulting in their successful snag of the Sunday Silver Trophy!* All those years of consistent hard-efforts finally paid off!!! "BRAVO!"

DBD

(* -following rival Robbie Patterson & #81-Lady Jo's bump-up into the cancelled UNL Gold.)
        Attached Files

Comment

"Fly Like An Eagle!"

Tue. 9/14/10-Reno NCAR-Super Sport Class Qualifying & Practice-

When Kevin Eldredge & his sleek SS NXT racer- #42-"Relentless" came rocketing-by Outer 4 Pylon w/obvious extreme velocity & purpose f/setting the bar high in their class qualifications, there was a sense of history in the making. I knew I had to try my darndest to get a good shot of Relentless during the fleeting moment it sped by me standing there below at the stick. I only managed to fire-off one frame- which is the first picture you see posted here.

I had my radio monitoring the race control frequency & heard Kevin's mayday call a half-lap later & then a calmly-voiced odd comment- "Now there's something you don't see everyday"...

Then next thing I saw, was the NXT approaching fm mid-field downwind w/white smoke pouring out of it & I automatically-started shooting pictures (-even though the plane was still too far away to get a decent photo). While Eldredge was turning baseleg f/final approach to make his emergency landing, I heard no engine sound whatsoever & was totally-shocked to note through my telephoto lense- the complete absence of #42's propeller! (I kept taking pictures...)

As I panned the stricken racer's flightpath,-a pair of golden eagles I'd seen soaring all over the racecourse most of the day (-distinct fm the usual turkey buzzards & hawks),-suddenly popped into the picture background-flying parallel in the distance like a couple topcover angels. (Yes-I kept taking pictures...!)

Kevin Eldredge then executed an amazing perfect deadstick landing to save himself & his airplane (& the day!)

Needless to say,-some real history had indeed happened in quite dramatic fashion,-via that demonstration of one of the most-incredible examples of skillful-flying ever,-by one of the world's most-outstanding aviators.

During Sunday's Reno 2010 NCAR Awards Banquet, there was no question as to which Sport Class pilot would be receiving the coveted special annual- 'Tommy Rose Memorial Trophy' fm his peers & awarded to the class' Most-outstanding Race Pilot-of-the-Year'. The last photo here captures Kevin Eldredge leaving the stage while proudly-carrying The Rose Trophy.

"BRAVO!"- KEVIN ELDREDGE! Awesome Flying! & We hope to see you & #42-"RELENTLESS" back in fine form for Reno 2011!

DBD
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BuckyD; 10-08-2010, 01:42 AM.

Comment

"TWO TEXAS T-CATS!"

RACE: Thur. 9/16/10-Reno NCAR-UNL HT-1A-

Thursday's final Unlimited heat was the first-time-ever the World's-Fastest Motorsport saw Two qualified Grumman F7F Tigercats racing together & was the first time Two Texan pilot-pals got to race 'em!

That event was pilot/owner/rookie race jockey- Rod Lewis' very first race too, flyin'- Race #1- "Big Boss Man" (a.k.a.~"El Hefe"). Rod just had to also bring along his other T-Cat #55-"Here, Kitty Kitty" - so his good buddy & team mate- Stew Dawson could share in same big fun of racing an F7F his first time too! (Hey, now there's a good friend for ya!)

AND- of course, Air Racing fans got double their share of fun watchin' both Texas Tigercats go roarin' 'round the racecourse all week long. "OH YEAH!" Thank you kindly, gentlemen!

DBD
            Attached Files
            Last edited by BuckyD; 10-05-2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Bucky, indeed a very rare treat!

Totally Agree to special thanks to the Texas guys and the "Lewis Air Force" for making it happen!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

"Lightning Landings"........

Few would argue that WW2's famous- Lockheed P-38 Lightning is one of the most elegant & most distinctively-recognizable of all classic warbird designs while inflight.

What's really something, is how the tricycle-geared P-38 easily-manages to maintain its' nostalgic allure & striking beauty,-even while in a landing attitude. So much so, that the aeronautical reference for an aircraft being- "in the dirty configuration", doesn't seem appropriate for the legendary Lightning!

Here's some sundown shots of the four touring P-38s that DID make it to Sacramento's 2010 Capital City Airshow- Glacier Girl, Thoughts of Midnight, Honey Bunny & Ruff Stuff comin' in on arrival, to prove the point.

"My-O-My!" -What rare SWEET-LOOKIN' BIRDS they are indeed! (+They sure do hum a warm & mellow Twin-Allison motor tune as they come on by!)

Attached Files
                Last edited by BuckyD; 02-01-2011, 12:07 PM.

Comment

"BRONZE WARRIORS!"......

The slowest bracket in the Unlimited Class, -usually offers the most diverse variety of classic warbird racers & some of the best racing action too, as captured in these two photos from this year's Sat. UNL HT-3C & Sunday UNL BRONZE final.

DBD
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great series Bucky

The Tigercats are awesome!
                    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Awesome bronze shots..

Thank you for posting them...

Comment

"UNSUNG HEROES" - Keep 'Em Flyin'!

Sun. 9/10/06-Reno NCAR: After the sun's gone down behind Stead Field, Unlimited Class rookie pilot/owner- Will Whiteside & crew work under lamp lights,-getting Will's Yak-3U R-2000-powered racer- #33-"STEADFAST" ready for qualifying & racing as a rookie UNL entry that year. He Q'd 19th @ 363.589-mph & placed 7th in the Reno '06 UNL Silver @ 352.497-av/mph. (Whiteside started his air racing career @ Reno '05 in the Sport Class - racing Glasair #16 & finishing 2nd in the Sport Bronze back then @ 253.698-av/mph).

Today, race fans also know Will Whiteside as the experienced & capable race pilot for Bob Button's super-hot potent P-51D UNL Gold racer- #5 "Voodoo".

DBD
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by BuckyD; 11-03-2010, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Now there's something you don't see very often down at that end of the ramp, pilot/owner getting dirty with his grunts.

Thanks Bucky, that was a good time.

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                          "UNSUNG HEROES" - Keep 'Em Flyin'!

Sun. 9/10/06-Reno NCAR: After the sun's gone down behind Stead Field, Unlimited Class rookie pilot/owner- Will Whiteside & crew work under lamp lights,-getting Will's Yak-3U R-2000-powered racer- #33-"STEADFAST" ready for qualifying & racing as a rookie UNL entry that year. He Q'd 19th @ 363.589-mph & placed 7th in the Reno '06 UNL Silver @ 352.497-av/mph. (Whiteside started his air racing career @ Reno '05 in the Sport Class - racing Glasair #16 & finishing 2nd in the Sport Bronze back then @ 253.698-av/mph).

Today, race fans also know Will Whiteside as the experienced & capable race pilot for Bob Button's super-hot potent P-51D UNL Gold racer- #5 "Voodoo".

DBD

Comment

Thanks, Chris - Glad that photo brought back some good memories. I knew that was you working alongside Will on the Yak (but didn't recognize your crewmate in the red t-shirt). Yep-always cool seeing the boss in the trenches w/his troops.

DBD

Comment

"RENO INVADERS!"

There were three Douglas A-26 Invader examples that turned the Reno NCAR pylon course as Unlimited Class Bronze racers over the years:

John Lear's A-26C #76 (N3328G) @ Reno '68

Dwight Reimer's A-26B #26 "Cotton Jenny" (N8036E) @ Reno '80*

Don Davis' A-26C #85 "Puss & Boots" (N4959K) @ Reno '85 & raced by Mike Wright

Here's photos of the two of these awesome bomber racers I was lucky enough to see racing- "Cotton Jenny" & "Puss & Boots"...

DBD

* Note- Reimer returned w/Jenny at Reno '81, but qualified her too slow to make the 21-entry Unlimited Field that year.
                              Attached Files

Comment

"The Great Escape!"- Super Corsair Bail-Out...

Being an avid air racing historian, I'd read published accounts of the wild & crazy 1947 Cleveland National Air Races- the year when thousands of startled race fans witnessed multiple pilot bail-outs, along w/several spectacular crashes (-including one w/fatal results). Two pilots were forced to take to their chutes during practice/time trials f/the Thompson Trophy & a 3rd had to hit the silk during the race itself. (Note-an addtional bail-out occured during prelims f/the Goodyear Trophy at that same Cleveland event.)

Thinking back to 1994-my 20th-consecutive year attending modern-era air racing events at Reno, Mojave & Miami,-I'd seen so many maydays & emergency deadstick landings successfully-executed by air race pilots, that I pretty-much assumed I'd never see the day anyone would have to actually bail-out of a raceplane (w/the hope I'd never have to). The option of using one's seatpack chute was there if necessary, but only as a last resort in the most extreme of situations, it seemed...(though in retrospect, I'd witnessed a few tragic incidents where it would've definately saved a life, had it been utilized).

But, my naive notions were dramatically-changed on March 19, 1994, while attending the innaugural Phoenix 500 Championship Air Races & working the event as a press photographer. Amidst bleak & blustery rain-soaked skies, 'it' happened during Saturday's Unlimited Heat-2B, at the start of Lap-4. The All-Coast-sponsored Race #1 Super Corsair piloted by Kevin Eldridge, was in 2nd-place & running hot on the heels of leader- Howard Pardue's #66 Sea Fury, and rapidly closing-in, as both racers approached Pylon 1.

At that moment, the Corsair's massive 28-cylinder P&W R-4360 Wasp Major engine suffered a master rod failure & caught fire inflight during the race action. It was Eldridge's first mayday, but he was well-practiced on emergency procedures f/handling this kind of situation. Kevin immediately pulled-up his stricken racer in a climb to 4,000-ft. altitude to pick a runway f/making his deadstick landing. Unfortunately, the pump-fed fire got out of control & left Kevin w/no other alternative but to leave his aircraft in an effort to save himself- via an extremely-difficult last-second bail-out effort, that cost him some serious injuries but allowed Eldridge to fly again another day.

My most vivid memories: (1)- How wet & windy & generally crappy the weather was. Between laps, we press photogs scurried in & out fm under the pylon judges' canopy shelter at NW Pylon Outer 8, in a vain attempt to keep some of the rain off us & our camera gear. (2)- The sheer excitement of watching this heat race's intense dogfight f/first place- suddenly-interrupted by simultaneous shouts of alarm & seeing surprisingly-bright fireglow reflections on the faces of those looking up in the sky at the Corsair in peril. (3)- Turning-about & watching the ensuing mayday & feeling shared helpless dismay at seeing both onboard fire extinguishers fail at putting-out the fire. I was also confused by the bizarre sound the dying R-4360 engine was making then- similar in pitch to a high-reving Cox .049 engine on a control line model plane flyin in slow-motion not far away, is the only way I can describe it. (4)- Hearing (& echoing) the distant grandstand crowd's collective chant f/Kevin to- "get out-get out", followed-by one loud ecstatic mass cheer erupting fm all across the airfield when his chute popped-open. (5)- Then Race #1's steep downward plunge & fiery impact inside the GM Proving Grounds property...& watching the pilot's parachute decent alongside the dark & ominous rising smoke mushroom cloud, w/the P-51 safety plane- Lady Joe, orbiting closely-alongside. (7)- Lastly,-that evening when the rain had stopped- walking down the quiet lamp-lit Unlimited pits & seeing the Super Corsair's sadly-vacant stall. It was all such a totally-surreal experience & so v. reminiscent of those classic WW2 air combat Hollywood movie scenarios (w/all the famous cliches-'shot-down during combat & bailing-out', 'empty revetment at home base', etc.).

Thankfully, after all that drama-at least that 'reality flick' included a genuine happy ending. Yes indeed- Kevin Eldridge experienced some amazing good luck that day for sure & BIG THANKS for that wonderful parachute that made his 'great escape' possible!

"Long-Live Kevin Eldridge / Remember the Super Corsair"!!!

Several excellent articles have been written & published to date which give good accounts of this air racing history episode in greater detail.
                                Here's a selection of 'Buck Shots' capturing some of these moments in time, to accompany my own shared-impressions...

Photos (L-R/Top row down):

1. 9/13/82-Reno NCAR- Race #1 Super Corsair turns Outer Pylon 4 during her racing debut year at the "Bud Light Special", w/Steve Hinton as pilot. Hinton & Race #1 won the Reno '85 NCAR UNL Gold Championship Trophy & the big bent-wing bird delighted race fans for over a decade.

2-3. Mon. 9/20/93-Reno NCAR- John Hinton reaches fwd to remove the upper cowling intake plug, as a crewmate grabs the wheel-chocks; John joins brother Steve on the wing to inspect the exhaust pipes while communicating w/#1's race pilot-Kevin Eldridge in the cockpit, in prep f/departure fm Stead Field, following the Super Corsair's last Reno Air Races appearance.

4-5. Thur. 3/17/94-Phoenix 500 NCAR- #1 Super Corsair rests in it's assigned pit stall w/R-4360 motor uncowled & sans-baffles. Veteran race pilots- Steve Hinton & John Penney chat in the background.

6. Fri. 3/18/94-PHX 500- John Maloney test-runs Race #1's engine, while the crew monitors the run at front.

Sat. 3/19/94-PHX 500-UNL Heat-2B photos:

7-8. Under grey skies & rainy conditions, Kevin Eldridge taxis-out #1 f/takeoff at the start of UNL HT-2B, followed-by Robbie Patterson (w/Bob Hoover riding in back) in the UNL safety plane- Daryl Bond's P-51D- Lady Jo.

9. HT-2B racers are lined-up awaiting the signal to takeoff (L-R): Stu Eberhardt-P51D #22 Merlin's Magic, Bruce Lockwood-P51D #11 Miss America, Kevin Eldridge-F2G #1 Super Corsair, Bill Speer-P51D #56 Deja Vu & Howard Pardue-Sea Fury #66. (Not pictured-Dennis Sanders-Sea Fury #924)

10. HT-2B racers seen on the backstretch of the racecourse, w/#66 leading, followed-by pursuers- #1, #56 & #11.

11. Howard Pardue's #66 Sea Fury holds-down the lead w/Kevin Eldridge & #1 Super Corsair closing the distance at the end of Lap-3 to start Lap-4.

12-16. Sequence photos capturing Race #1's mayday situation - pilot-Kevin Eldridge's bail-out & loss of the Super Corsair into the GM Proving Grounds.

17. Sat. night-3/19/94- All-Coast Air Racing Team pit (w/Lady Jo in-place & Race #1- "MIA").

DBD

For those interested, here's the link to my previously-posted #1 Super Corsair tribute thread:

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by BuckyD; 11-10-2010, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X