'BUCK SHOTS'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

Anyone ells remember when Miss A was for sale at the races, with a shocking asking asking price of 100 thousand cash. By the end of the races, the price had dropped to 75k to those special people with in the circle.

Comment

(and ducking at the possibility of being so anal-retentive that it's long-since gone past annoying.......)

Vic Baker was Howie's relief pilot in Miss A at the California 1000 in 1970.

Comment

Ahhhh. The good old days. I had a friend in Oakland back in 74 that sold his Mustang for $35,000 and felt he was ripping the guy off. He later told me the owner's pilot crashed it on the delivery flight, it got away from him on a botched landing.
        Of course, back then we used to rebuild our chevy motors after a hard race over a weekend and $200 in parts was a lot!
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I know Joe Henderson test flew it one evening at the races. I can't remember what year but he had it whipped up into the 420's for several laps.

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
            I know Joe Henderson test flew it one evening at the races. I can't remember what year but he had it whipped up into the 420's for several laps.
            Chris...you are nothing but a troublemaker. :-)

Comment

"Terrific Twins!"........

Although six P-38s didn't make it to the Reno 2010 NCAR, certainly one of the biggest treats at this year's air races was having a pair each of Lockheed P-38 Lightnings & Grumman F7F Tigercats on hand,-as an awesome consolation.

On Friday (9/17) they were all posed together on the Stead Field ramp @ sunset for a press photo op & then they went up late the following day to fly a special air-to-air photo shoot w/the AKANG C-130 over nearby Pyramid Lake. I was fortunate enough to be included in the A-2-A session w/some eminent pro aviation photogs.

Here's a trio of pics, including a group portrait of the pilots (L-R): Kevin Eldridge (P38-"23 Skidoo"), Rod Lewis (F7F-"Big Boss Man"), Stewart Dawson (F7F-"Here Kitty Kitty") & Steve Hinton (P38-"Glacier Girl").

Special thanks goes out to Rod Lewis & Steve Hinton f/making their beautiful birds available for us to shoot; Steve, Rod, Stew & Kevin f/flying them; Alaska Air National Guard HQ & Major Randy Oefelein & crew f/their magnificent C-130 photo ship; Valerie Miller-RARA PR & Marketing Dir. & ace photog David Leininger f/helping put it all together. 'BRAVO' to all of you for making this special happening possible!

DBD

(BTW- I gotta say, that I can't wait to see the REALLY great shots taken by my colleagues!)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BuckyD; 09-26-2010, 12:22 AM.

Comment

That 3rd shot with the pair of Tigercats and the P38 is awesome.

Thanks for posting,
                Will

Comment

Great shots! I was self medicating in the Church dry camping area at dusk when I thought I saw two P-38s leading two F7Fs at dusk in a fly by east to west before landing.....did anyone get a shot of that? It would have been hard in the low light.....

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
                    I was self medicating in the Church dry camping area at dusk.....
                    I love that confession!!!!!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

9-20-2010 This is a true "Buck-Shot"

"dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

I hope the shoot was a sucess (nice shots Bucky) but can someone please explain why the C-130 had to land at the exact same moment the formation of Tigercats and 38s picked to make their only pass down the ramp?

I have a wonderful video of the pass with only the sound of C-130 props reversing on it. =(
                        Can't win em all, but that was disappointing.
                        Bill Garnett
                        InterstellarDust
                        Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

It was great to see these planes flying together. I hope to see all of the cool pic's.

That said, Que the RANT:
                          I was amazed at how rude some to the "Ramp Media" guys were. Rather than going back to the camper we sat on the south side of the flight line looking for a good / great shot. Now mind you we are not photogs and we are trying to shoot with a camera that probably costs less that alot of guys camera bag and tripods. After waiting over 45 min.s a guy pulls up in a truck and parks right infornt of our sight line. As he went to the back of the truck to get his equiptmant I asked if he could pull forward ~ 10-15 ft so we could see. He just rudly said no and made a nice relaxed walk out to the flight line to BS. 20-25 min's later the engines were starting to turn over. We stayed for the TO's and then went back to the camper.

Comment

Thanks, guys f/the kind kudos on the photos.

Coyote Chris- Boom3 got that shot you asked about & some other great ones. See thread: "P38's & the Tigercats" - Post #11
                            Link: http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...?t=8426&page=2

Hey Anthony- Always great to know a buddy's got my six (even when I lose my neck, apparently)

Bill- Sorry 'bout the audio conflict w/the timing on the C-130 landing, but I'm sure the shoot wasn't 'correographed' to that extent. "Sometimes the 'magic' works & sometimes it don't." Some creative editing is in order.

Degroodt- Even though it goes w/the territory, it's always a bummer having a knucklehead screw up your shot, whether it's ramp media or anybody else. Think most of us have suffered this one countless times, and being inconsiderate & rude on top of it is unforgiveable & will only come back to ya later on ('kharma'). Even though I had official full-ramp access f/my car this year, most of the time I parked off by the deadline or inside the pit away from people to avoid conflicts & walked over to take my shot & then promptly leave. (Plus, I've never forgotten those two times when taxiing P-51s chopped up vehicles left idle on the ramp!) One thing 'bout people & vehicles consistently getting into your photo viewfinder to foul-up your airshow/air race shots- it certainly teaches photogs to better anticipate-compose-& snapoff your shot a lot quicker when you see things comin', huh?

DBD

Comment

Originally posted by degroodtt View Post
                              It was great to see these planes flying together. I hope to see all of the cool pic's.

That said, Que the RANT:
                              I was amazed at how rude some to the "Ramp Media" guys were. Rather than going back to the camper we sat on the south side of the flight line looking for a good / great shot. Now mind you we are not photogs and we are trying to shoot with a camera that probably costs less that alot of guys camera bag and tripods. After waiting over 45 min.s a guy pulls up in a truck and parks right infornt of our sight line. As he went to the back of the truck to get his equiptmant I asked if he could pull forward ~ 10-15 ft so we could see. He just rudly said no and made a nice relaxed walk out to the flight line to BS. 20-25 min's later the engines were starting to turn over. We stayed for the TO's and then went back to the camper.
                              That wasnt media, they were official folks though, who shall remain nameless. I thought it was rude as well. Another instance was a media guy, when the girl was on the wing of Polar Bear, and the media immediately moved. Not minimizing your claims here, it's a tough thing to negotiate out there, to be sure. I know that most of us, wearing a vest or not, are just as frustrated with these issues, and would make any attempt to get out of your way.
                              "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

That's a beautiful shot of the P-38 and two Tiger Cats!

It was nice to finally meet you this year.

Jarrod

Comment

Working...
                                X