Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

"Blue Bijou"

Wed. 9/11/01-Reno NCAR- John Parker's first Thunder Mustang racer #351 was originally-named- "Blue Bijou" & she's pictured here uncowled on the Stead Field ramp during the 9-11 sunset, w/John (red shirt) & a crewmate up on the left wing.

DBD
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
      "Sumthin' Else"......!

Reno '82 NCAR- Thursday 9/16/82- Final Qualifications Day- West Chute

W/John Crocker & his P-51D Race #6 "Sumthin' Else" (NX51VC) running-currently as this message board's 'hot-topic subject', here's a personal favorite 'Buck Shot' of Race #6 to add to this thread-

Reno '82 was staged during some extremely cold & wet weather conditions, & it severely hindered the chances f/posting really-fast qualification speeds in all the racing classes. In fact, the heavy rain got so bad during Wednesday's time trials, that the enitre Stead Field program was shut down completely by 3:00-pm. The downpour was still going on early next morning, -w/snow blanketing the higher levels of the surrounding mountains. Even more bad wx was predicted for the days ahead.

At about 8:30-am Thur. morning, the sun broke through & the final day f/Reno '82 Qualifications got underway w/full-purpose, as many planes hadn't-yet posted their times & a shared feeling of- 'now or never' fueled the day's program.

This shot captures John Crocker & Race #6 'Sumthin' Else' roaring down Stead Field's fast West Chute off the W. Guide Pylon during their qualification run, -as the first Unlimited to take the course on Thursday.

Crocker posted the top speed for the Unlimiteds @ 434.259-mph, but was quickly knocked-back into 'second-fastest' Q-slot minutes later, -when Ron Hevle immediately followed-up w/a Reno '82 top Q-speed of 440.565-mph, flying Frank Taylor & Bill Destefani's rookie P-51D entry- #4 Dago Red.

DBD

The Subject of greatest Reno's ever was being kicked around on Facebook. The year 1982 seemed to get a lot of votes from race fans.,also 1991. I was there in 1981, but missed 82 regretfully.
      Race #6 and John Crocker will always be an all time favorite of mine.
      I think of "Sumthin Else" every time i see "CrazyHorse"

Great Pix Bucky

Comment

"Leading The Lady".....

Fri. 3/18/94-Phoenix 500 Air Races- The large & lovely Lockheed MATS Connie (C-121A N494W) is guided-in towards her display parking slot, upon arrival following UNL Race Heat-1A. After delighting airshow fans for several seasons, on 4/1/05 this Constellation departed the USA for her new home in Korea.

Here's a couple links to historian Ralph M. Pettersen's marvelous website devoted to Constellation history, that has some great history on this beautiful bird & her classic big-iron breed:

http://www.conniesurvivors.com/1-mats_connie_flying.htm

http://www.conniesurvivors.com/1-mats_connie_korea.htm

I got to fly aboard commercial Connie airliners as a kid passenger many times, an experience I'll always recall w/great fondness.

DBD
        A buddy and i were talkin about Connie's while at Pt. Mugu last weekend, it was my first trip to Camarillo, also the first time i saw the type "sitting outdoors" rotting away at the airport. WTH??? Has this subject been discussed somewhere? What a tragedy, we see teams rescuing these machines from the swamps, jungles and oceans, surely someone has plans for that one too!

I got to do a walk thru the MATTS Connie at PHX 94, i have a video somewhere of that, thanks for sharing DBD

PS, thanks for the links Bucky, here's a quote from the website regarding the Cam. Connie, posted 10 Nov. 2009------------ "Yanks Air Museum EC-121T 53-548/N548GF - The folks at the Yanks Museum are finding that the old adage “No job is done until all the paperwork is complete” still holds true. A Yanks Museum crew labored most of the summer at Camarillo Airport (CMA) prepping EC-121T 53-548/N548GF for inspection by the FAA. Project lead Frank Wright reports that he is currently finishing up the “paperwork” required to get FAA approval for the ferry flight to museum headquarters at Chino Airport (CNO). I was hoping that the ferry flight would have been completed by now but they tell me good things happen to those who are patient!"
        Last edited by sierra fox; 08-12-2010, 08:28 AM.
        "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

"Black & Bold!"

Nick Macy & Race #6-"Six-Cat"

This pilot & plane combo has won FIVE Reno NCAR T-6 Class Gold Trophies ('99, '00, '03, '06 & '09) & is definately a top favorite w/race fans.

"GO TEAM SIX-CAT!"

DBD
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BuckyD; 08-14-2010, 10:12 PM.

Comment

More- 'Ridge-Runners' & 'Hedge-Hoppers'...("Fly Low-Fly Fast!")

RACE: Sun. 9/16/84-UNL Gold Final-"Valley of Speed"- Skip Holm in Alan Preston's Zeuschel-prepared scoopless rookie P-51D #84-"Stiletto",-holds onto a slim lead against a hotly-pursuing Rick Brickert & P-51D #4-"Dago Red" by flying a very tight courseline while running right down on the deck! John Crocker & #6-"Sumthin' Else" flies a bit higher up,-trailing in third.

Definately a pair of- "Ridge-Runnin' Hedge-Hoppers"!

DBD
            Attached Files

Comment

"Under The Witch's Spell"... *

Reigning 2009 Unlimited Class National Champion- STEVEN HINTON & #7-"STREGA" will be very tough to beat @ the forthcoming Reno 2010 NCAR event!

DBD
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Bucky! We LOVE SteveO. Here's to a three-peat!
                Kathleen

Comment

Love the shot of the pitot tube cover! Back in the years before the awning, and look...the blue on the truck was painted green to match the Skoal colors (or, "__oal" colors, as the case may be).

Comment

"FAST & FEROCIOUS!".......

Seasoned veteran September Champions- JOHN PENNEY & #77-"REAR BEAR" know the 'go-fast game' well. During last year's Reno '09 NCAR UNL Gold, Penney flew a 480-av/mph race w/a relatively-'stock' motor,-finishing 2nd behind Strega.

For Reno 2010: longtime bear keeper- Dave Cornell has his new race engine ready & a 'new' crew- all workin' together to unleash a serious 'Bear Attack' effort to regain the UNL Gold Trophy title this year.

The old- Rear Bear vs. Strega rivalry is- Alive & Well! OH YEAH!!!

DBD
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BuckyD; 08-18-2010, 02:57 PM.

Comment

..i'm-a-lit-tle-tea-pot-short-and-stout.....she just may brew some STRONG TEA this go...
                      Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

"VOODOO MAGIC!"

When WILL WHITESIDE & #5-"VOODOO" won last year's 6-lap Saturday UNL Heat-3A @ w/a very impressive race average speed of 485.948mph, after leader Steven Hinton & #7 Strega cut Outer 6 Pylon on Lap 2,-many race afficionados took note.

For 2010, Team Voodoo is returning to Reno w/TWO race-prepared Merlins re-done w/a few 'Tiger Tricks'. Their racy-lookin' Mustang's slick wings have undergone some important overhaul rework & refinishing too. Plus w/all the topnotch crew talent onboard, it's a really-positive sign that maybe this popular air race team's finally got some super-potent 'Good Mojo' charms workin' f/them this go around.

DBD
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by BuckyD; 08-19-2010, 11:11 PM.

Comment

"UNSUNG HEROES" - Keep 'Em Flyin'!

Tue. 9/11/01-Reno NCAR - As the sun's going down at Stead Field, veteran expert aviation maintenance crewmen- Mike Wilton & Dave Fagoaga continue working on Race #4-Dago Red's race-prepared Rolls-Royce Merlin engine.

DBD
                          Attached Files

Comment

"Take It On The Run!"......

Pilot John Zayac in #37-'McDonald Racer' flashes-by the pylon during his 230.106-mph qualifying run to snag the 4th-fastest slot in the T-6 Racing Class @ Reno '09 NCAR.

DBD
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by BuckyD; 08-22-2010, 12:37 AM.

Comment

"UNSUNG HEROES" - Keep 'Em Flyin'!

Tue. 9/11/01-Reno NCAR - As the sun's going down at Stead Field, veteran expert aviation maintenance crewmen- Mike Wilton & Dave Fagoaga continue working on Race #4-Dago Red's race-prepared Rolls-Royce Merlin engine.

DBD
                              Cool pics as per usual Bucky... I noticed in pic 3 that the crewman on the right is wearing a Miss America Team Work apron
                              Last edited by kiwiracefan; 08-22-2010, 05:13 AM. Reason: correction
                              race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                                Cool pics as per usual Bucky... I noticed in pic 3 that the crewman on the right is wearing a Miss America Team Work apron
                                I might be wrong, but i think at that time Miss A and DAGO were both fielded by the Museum of Flying, so in essence they were team aircraft. Clarification anyone?
                                Last edited by t-dub; 08-22-2010, 09:32 AM.
                                "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Working...
                                X