X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
    "World's All-time Forever-Greatest!"-

'Ridge-Runnin', Hedge-Hoppin', Rabbit-Roustin', etc., etc., etc., ........ -'RUNNER-UP':

* Chuck Hall * & JRS' P-51D- Race #28- 'Typsy Too' !!!

DBD

ok bucky, have you seen the video from this year? amature video, shot like a pro from the vos, the unl's are full tilt at no more than a prop blade off the sagebrush, total bushwackers. that was back when the fence was no more than a couple strands of barbed wire to keep us off the course, i'll try to get it converted to dvd and tube it.

great capture sure enough

adt
    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

'Flock of Widgeons'....
      Family place... watch it now....

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

' Thunder Chickens' !!!

Mon. 9/10/01-Reno/Stead Airport-

There's absolutely- No Clue,-as to why this flight of doves chose- 'The big-bad, long-legged- Republic F-105 Thunderchief parked over at the E. end of the Stead Field ramp by CIA Aviation',-as their preferred perch.....

Perhaps,-they were totally-awestruck by the imposing powerful visual presence of the Mighty Thud & considered the jet as their avian deity,-or possibly they thought of it as some 'Big Mutha feathered friend',-to roust fm its' roost to join 'em f/some wild fun flying antics??? (Or then,-maybe they're simply-'Doves of Peace', engaged at making their point that 'War is certain madness & folly'...?) Yep- It's really impossible to say f/sure,-what's in the minds of those little bird brains, huh?

DBD
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BuckyD; 06-10-2010, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Hey Bob-

Yes, I'd heard of USAF Sparrevohn Radar Station. (-Think you emailed or PM'd me about this awhile back.) Googled-up some interesting links & here's a few of them w/some interesting history & photos:

Back in the late 1980s, I flew along w/some friends fm Anchorage to relocate an old abandoned Dewline radar base N. of Galena f/an aerial photo recon mission of a derelict Morrison-Knudsen Co. LB-30 (AL557/N92MK) left behind there many years prior, which was later recovered. Here's a link relating to that aircraft:

This site tracks the history of all Consolidated Liberators & Privateers that survived military service.

It was still frozen snow-covered tundra then, & all I can say is- it sure was bleak & forlorn-looking rugged territory below us on that flight & looking down at that old radar site- it almost appeared like some other planet. Would hate to get forced down in that desolate wasteland, no matter what time of year!

P.S. Found my B&W photo negatives & here's a couple pics of the LB-30 from the aerial photo recon. (Photo date was 5/4/86. Believe the Whittingtons own it now & it's currently in storage at Ft. Collins, CO.,-awaiting restoration someday)

DBD
          This is so cool! I was at Galena when they brought this aircraft by helicopter (I believe it was a Chinook) to Galena to be barged back to Anchorage. The fuse was leaning on it's side a little, but I was able to get inside and look around a bit. I think I have some pictures of her in storage with the rest of my Alaska pictures. I've been wondering what happened to her! Thank you for the info!

Race 29
          Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

' Super FIRE CAT ' ! - SLAFCO Tanker 98

Mon. 7/25/83- Some splendid & rare air-to-air inflight views of "Super PBY Catalina" (28-5ACF-EMQ) N31235, captured over Nichols Passage adjacent Dixon Entrance to the open Pacific Ocean, near Annette Island, Alaska.

Tanker #98 crew, was pilot- Jim McCown, who flew B-29s in combat during WW2, & his flight engineer-Tim Trudell. They were headed back home to their SLAFCO base in Ephrata, WA. (later relocated to Moses Lake), after completing another busy fire fighting season stint in Alaska out of Ft. Wainwright outside of Fairbanks. (Included also are some circa-'81, '82 & '84 pics taken of Ole' 98 at Ketchikan, Alaska during refueling stops here.)

The Consolidated PBY is immortal as WW2's most-famous long-range flying boat patrol bomber. Now, this old Catalina (-USN Buaer #48426) is a WW2 combat vet herself,-w/1944 logbook time flying long range Aleutian patrols & dumbo missions fm Attu Island w/USN Fleet Air Wing 4's Sqdn VP-61.

N31235's colorful history also included thousands of flight hours of busy airline service duty, starting in the early 1950s w/Guam-based Transocean Air Lines & San Francisco's Pacific Air Lines. Then as a 26-psgr Wright R-2600-powered 'Super Catalina' conversion,-Cat 235 joined the then- 'World's-largest amphibious airline fleet' of Alaska Coastal Airlines thru its' mergers into Alaska Coastal-Ellis Airlines & Alaska Airlines, serving SE Alaska's Panhandle region.

N31235 started her fire bomber life on 12/17/71, when Bob Schlaefli purchased the Super Cat fm Alaska Airlines f/tanker conversion to join his SLAFCO fire suppression fleet. BTW- She's the SLAFCO fleet sister to Tanker 53 (N9505C)-star of the famous '89 Speilberg movie- 'Always' action squences (-flown by Bob Schlaefli & Jim McCown).

In April '07, after many years of hazardous fire-fighting duty,-235 was purchased via estate sale by The Palm Springs Air Museum & arrived at her new home on 7/31/07,-completing her ferry flight from Moses Lake, Wa., made by pilots-Joe Scheil & Swede Gamble, w/Matt Voight as flight engineer. (Joe Scheil's excellent N31235 service history article in Air Classics Mag's Nov. '07 issue is a must-read.)

Looking here again at these vintage photos sure brings back alot of fond memories. I'll never forget hearing the sound of those two big Wright R-2600s roaring-away just outside the open window of Revilla Flying Service pilot/owner- Dale Clark's C-185 camera plane & being totally-amazed watching this gorgeous old girl's 104-ft. of parasol wing floating-by above & below us on that wonderful day!

DBD

Note: Last photo's a '84 group portrait of both crews of SLAFCO S-PBY Tankers #98 & #53-taken at Ketchikan, while enr Moses Lake. Pictured (L-R): #98's P-Jim McCown & Eng-Tim Trudell, #53's Eng-Jim Pape & P-Jim Dunlap. Jim Dunlap & Tim Trudell were tragically-lost on 7/29/85,-when SLAFCO PBY-6A S-Cat Tanker #49 (N2886D) crashed during a water pickup run at a lake in Northport, WA. I'd like to dedicate this thread post to their memory & to all the brave aerial firefighters & smoke jumper crews, as well as to the late Robert P. 'Bob' Schlaefli-SLAFCO owner & WW2 fighter pilot, who passed-away 2/24/03 at the age of 80. (Don't think anyone loved PBYs more than Bob did!) Thank you all- You guys are truly- "Super Heroes" in my book!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by BuckyD; 06-13-2010, 10:35 AM.

Comment

You can't see too much of it, but here's a picture with that Cat in the background taken last December at the Palm Springs Air Museum.

Race 29
              Attached Files
              Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Hi Race 29-

Thanks f/posting & what a case of serendipity that you were there at Galena, AK to watch the recovered M-K LB-30 getting choppered-in from its' remote tundra bush site! Just shows what a small world aviation is,-especially up here in Alaska!

BTW-The WIX site discussion board has some photos of the LB-30 in storage at Ft. Collins, & a pic of it when it was working f/M-K back in the day. Check it out @ this link:

DBD
                Last edited by BuckyD; 06-13-2010, 11:03 AM.

Comment

"HIGH & MIGHTY!"

Race: Sat. 9/15/84-UNL HT-3A- Captured against a spectacular backdrop of beautiful white cloud tops,-Bill 'Tiger' Destefani flies his clipped-wing P-51D Mustang racer- #72 Mangia Pane on a high line going past the W. Chute Guide Pylon on Stead Field's Unlimited Class Racecourse.

Finishing this 6-lap heat race in 6th-place @ 378.954-av/mph,-Tiger flew against a fiercesome roster of competitors during this event-

Rick Brickert in P-51D #4 Dago Red set a new race record speed of 439.832 w/Steve Hinton in #1 Super Corsair placing 2nd (422.652), followed by a finishing order of super Mustangs: Skip Holm-#84 Stiletto (422.490), John Crocker-#6 Sumthin' Else (416.303) & Ron Hevle-#7 Strega (399.523). Jimmy Leeward in P-51D #44 LAR Spcl pulled out w/a bad mag on Lap 5 for a DNF & race alternate Del Williams in P-51D #39 Healer was a DNS.

The weather was perfect for a sensational Saturday at the air races. I swear I can still hear those wicked-up race motors roarin' across the sky on that beautiful day!

DBD
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by BuckyD; 07-02-2010, 09:03 AM.

Comment

"Modo Mio"

Ever since professional pilot-Vince Walker got his homebuilt Lancair Legacy- #2 "Modo Mio" painted-up in its' gorgeous color scheme, it's been one of the most-photographed of all Sport Class Gold racers currently in competition, for obvious reasons.

Vince has been racing this Legacy since 2006, when he first brought it to Reno still in primer, right after finishing his kit build. He always flies a great low & tight courseline,-but unfortunately he got DQ'd by the Contest Committee for Low Flying during last September's Reno '09 Sport Gold Final.

The name of Walker's sexy-lookin' Lancair is Italian for- "My Way" (-Betcha if 'Ole' Blue Eyes' were still around, he coulda-been approached as a potential sponsor for this beautiful speed bird)

Here's a few Reno '09 shots of Sport Racer #2, & a pic of Vince Walker up on stage collecting his trophy from pretty Ms. Lauren Neil (Miss Reno Rodeo 2010), during Sunday's Awards Banquet. Hope to see Vince & his colorful racer back again @ Reno 2010!

DBD
                    Attached Files

Comment

being a docents for the kids at the sports class for a couple years the kids were impress by vince pulling out of the hanger and a radio on top of the cowling playing the James Bond theme cool Shawn

Comment

these are wonder full picture. more racers

Comment

Bucky, you have the most unique prospective view of the racers... never ending enjoyment having you open up your archives here! I keep thinking we need to do something more "formal", as in "gallery" because your work winds up buried at the end of a VERY long thread at times...

Priceless, however we get to enjoy though so PLEASE keep them coming!

BTW.. not going to get up your way again this holiday weekend (hard to believe, a year ago to the day, tomorrow, I was on a cruise ship heading up your way via the "inland passage"!!)... what a week that was!

But I still have the "care package" sitting at home, due to get the formal treatment as soon as Mark and I can do it up right!

Thanks again for sharing Bucky!!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hey Shawn, Bearclaw & Wayne-

Thanks f/your posted notes & comments & kudos.

Shawn- special thanks for 'being there' & sharing that cool Modo Mio 'Bond moment', -that tells us Vince has a good sense of humor & also knows how to make a great entrance.

Wayne, special thanks also. The spirit of the 'Buck Shots' thread is meant to be 'informal' & meander like the proverbial- 'yellow brick road': a smorgasbord presentation of a variety of aviation subjects-w/air racing as the primary focus, of course. Like any other msg board thread, it's open to commentary postings (-ideally-relating to the topics presented, hopefully). I'm real jazzed it's found some life & legs. It's been alot of fun sharing stuff fm my portfolio & sincere thanks for the opportunity to do so!

DBD
                            Last edited by BuckyD; 07-07-2010, 12:02 AM.

Comment

"All 'Jacked-Up' & Rarin'-to-Go!"

DBD
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by BuckyD; 07-07-2010, 12:17 AM.

Comment

"All 'Jacked-Up' & Rarin'-to-Go!"

DBD
                                Interesting prop choice. Is this something new?

Comment

Working...
                                X