'BUCK SHOTS'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

Bucky, While in the Air Force,as a radar repairman,I was stationed at Sparevohn,Alaska radar station in 1954/1955 & I remember we had no running water among other things. Lots of times the civilians in C46's/C47's flew parts in when the Air Force didn't take the chance. It was quite a runway & you had to know what you were doing. Let me know if you have ever heard of it.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Hey Bob-

Yes, I'd heard of USAF Sparrevohn Radar Station. (-Think you emailed or PM'd me about this awhile back.) Googled-up some interesting links & here's a few of them w/some interesting history & photos:

Back in the late 1980s, I flew along w/some friends fm Anchorage to relocate an old abandoned Dewline radar base N. of Galena f/an aerial photo recon mission of a derelict Morrison-Knudsen Co. LB-30 (AL557/N92MK) left behind there many years prior, which was later recovered. Here's a link relating to that aircraft:

This site tracks the history of all Consolidated Liberators & Privateers that survived military service.

It was still frozen snow-covered tundra then, & all I can say is- it sure was bleak & forlorn-looking rugged territory below us on that flight & looking down at that old radar site- it almost appeared like some other planet. Would hate to get forced down in that desolate wasteland, no matter what time of year!

P.S. Found my B&W photo negatives & here's a couple pics of the LB-30 from the aerial photo recon. (Photo date was 5/4/86. Believe the Whittingtons own it now & it's currently in storage at Ft. Collins, CO.,-awaiting restoration someday)

DBD
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BuckyD; 06-06-2010, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Dueling Czech Jets... Just- "Light It & GO!!!"

RACE: Sat. 9/19/09-JET HT-2A- Mike Mangold flies L-29 Delfin- #12 'Euro Burner', just ahead of Joe Gano in L-39 Albatros #2 'Pip Squeak',-in a heated duel for 2nd-place,-while rounding Outer 4 Pylon.

JET Class champion- Curt Brown won this heat,-flying the wicked-lookin' black & gold L-29- #77 'Viper' @ 520.209-av/mph, & Mangold held onto 2nd @ 514.221-av/mph, w/Gano right behind in 3rd @ 510.607-av/mph. These three finished in the same order the following day during Sunday's JET Gold Championship final.

Once again-often some of the BEST duels happening in every racing class,-are the competitions f/the second spot. That's- "GREAT RACING", Gentlemen!

DBD

(BTW-Word has it,-the older Aero Vodochody model L-29s have been re-engined w/newer more-powerful engines, making them faster than the later series L-39s.)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BuckyD; 06-06-2010, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Thats what I hears aswell Bucky. What I heard was that the L-29 was using a motor from a TC2 Buckeye.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
            Thats what I hears aswell Bucky. What I heard was that the L-29 was using a motor from a TC2 Buckeye.
            THANKS f/that bit of info, Bob!

Comment

Simply- "BEAUTIFUL!"

Thur. 9/17/09- Bill Eveland's beautiful Reno-based Thunder Mustang N77TM (s/n 14) makes a great fly-by @ 5:34pm over Stead Field during a short pre-sunset hop w/a passenger.

The choice of a simple silver military paint scheme w/bold lightning bolt accent trim & o.d. anti-glare panel,-allows this superlative sport plane's elegantly-beautiful P-51D Mustang design elements to show-off wonderfully. A REALLY fine airplane there, I must say!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BuckyD; 06-06-2010, 10:30 PM.

Comment

"Rivalry!"- Mustang vs. Sea Fury...

A classic matchup between Inline-Vee versus 'Big Roundy' radial-motored aircraft designs - liquid-cooled vs. air-cooled ; low-profile/low-drag against brute horsepower,-always makes for some really-exciting 'David vs. Goliath' showdowns out on the racecourse,-much to the delight of race fans rooting f/their favorites.

DBD
                Attached Files
                Last edited by BuckyD; 06-08-2010, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                  Simply- "BEAUTIFUL!"

Thur. 9/17/09- Bill Eveland's beautiful Reno-based Thunder Mustang N77TM (s/n 14) makes a great fly-by @ 5:34pm over Stead Field during a short pre-sunset hop w/a passenger.

The choice of a simple silver military paint scheme w/bold lightning bolt accent trim & o.d. anti-glare panel,-allows this superlative sport plane's elegantly-beautiful P-51D Mustang design elements to show-off wonderfully. A REALLY fine airplane there, I must say!
                  remember that day well, the day we stood on the trailer, the day i met bucky d
                  "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Yessiree, Anthony- The day we were all there waiting f/The Galloping Ghost's imminent arrival at Stead Field...

DBD

Comment

"Sawbones" ! ......

During the past two Reno NCAR's- Unlimited pilot Ray Dieckman's been havin' himself a real blast racin' George Baker's old Hawker Fury- Race #71,-now named- 'Sawbones'. She's been a real 'fiddle-footed' Fury ever since George first raced her at Reno '90 in the Silver as #711 'Gee Bee's Sky Fury'. Matt Jackson next raced the Hawker in the Reno '97 Gold as- #76 'Southern Cross'. John Bagley then owned & raced the plane as #47 under the same name in Reno '98's UNL Silver, & again in the Reno 2000 Gold. Stephen Patterson bought her in 2003 & raced her once again as Race #71 at Reno '05 (he was also a Reno '06 entry, but withdrew).

Ray Dieckman first put on his racing spurs at Reno '03, as a rookie T-6 racer, & moved up into the Unlimiteds at Reno '07,-by entering his own gorgeous Grumman F8F-2 #224 'Blue Bear' (placing 3rd in the UNL Silver). Dieckman then raced Patterson's Fury, renamed- "Sawbones", @ Reno '08 in the Gold final. Afterwards, when Patterson sold the Fury to current owner- Robin Crandall, Dieckman was retained as race jockey f/Reno '09 & flew Sawbones to 2nd in Sunday's UNL Silver @ 404.707-av/mph.

Here's Ray Dieckman up on stage at last year's Awards Banquet collecting his 2nd-place UNL Silver Trophy fm trophy presenter- pretty Ms. Lauren Neil (-current Miss Reno Rodeo). Looks like just maybe this excellent pilot's really-roped on Unlimited Class air racing these days,-ya think? Well,-we sure hope so!!!

"Go- TEAM SAWBONES!!! -Best of Luck, and we'll look forward to seein' y'all again back out on the racecourse @ Reno 2010!

DBD
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by BuckyD; 06-08-2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Simply- "BEAUTIFUL!"

here it is....and i took a picture of the ghost.....but no one would believe it

"dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Hey Anthony-

Maybe we should give those two T-Mustang dupe shots to ignomini to work with?

DBD

Comment

Hey Anthony-

Maybe we should give those two T-Mustang dupe shots to ignomini to work with?

DBD
                            O.O
                            Last edited by sierra fox; 06-08-2010, 10:47 PM.

Comment

"World's All-time Forever-Greatest!"-

'Ridge-Runnin', Hedge-Hoppin', Rabbit-Roustin', etc., etc., etc., ........ -'RUNNER-UP':

* Chuck Hall * & JRS' P-51D- Race #28- 'Typsy Too' !!!

DBD
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by BuckyD; 06-08-2010, 11:51 PM.

Comment

'Flock of Widgeons'....

July 16, 1993/Priest Lake, Idaho- Four Grumman Widgeons gather in formation f/a sunset group portrait (front to back):

* Merrill Wien's beautiful 1941 J4F-1 Widgeon N1340V (s/n-1228) in pre-WW2 USCG markings, & powered by orig. vintage Ranger 6-440 engines.

* Richard Wien's 1942 flat Continental 6 IO-470-powered G-44 N90727 (s/n-1334).

* Gene Riggs' Lycoming GO-480-powered 1944 G-44 N63350 (s/n-1387).

* Steve Hamilton's 1945 G-44A McKinnon 'Super Widgeon' N111W (s/n-1420), also powered by 295-hp Lycoming GO480 engines (-driving 90-in. dia. Hartzell 3-blade Props).

Designed as the little sister to the famous Grumman G-21A Goose,-the Widgeon first flew in 1940 & served admirably during WW2 w/the USN, USCG, USAAF & Biritish Royal Navy. A total of 276 were produced f/military & civilian use, w/an additional 41 SCAN-30 Widgeons later licence-built in France.

"Comin' By Grumman!"

DBD

Note: Camera plane was Grumman G-21A Goose N48550 (s/n-1061), owned & flown by Larry Teufel (now owned by Jimmy Buffett).
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by BuckyD; 06-10-2010, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X