• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
    "Wingdog!".......

Mon. 9/8/80-Reno NCAR Arrivals-

Don Whittington taxis-in w/his beautifully polished-up & full-on race-prepared P-51D- #09- Precious Metal, w/an anxious 'Ramp Rover' waiting to greet his arrival f/Reno '80 Unlimited Class competition.

DBD
    Hope that's not Jerry Duty's dog.....

Comment

"Too-HOT!!!-to Trot".... (-When Good Race Motors Go Bad)

With every type of competitive racing motorsport action, we see race engines being routinely-pushed to & far-beyond their designed limits. What seperates Air Racing from all other motorsports is- The Third Dimension.

When insidious gremlins undermine an air racer's powerplant & 'things go to hell-in-a-handbasket' in a hurry,-race pilots call upon their keen flying skills & well-practiced mayday landing procedures, to get themselves safely-back down onto the nearest-available runway.

Many thousands of hours & dollars go into the development of a fine-tuned race-preparing engine. When one decides to- 'go south', it's not always due to failure of a key internal component-sometimes a cheap inexpensive part can be the culprit.

Whatever the case, air racers must be prepared for any situation that might confront them, whilst flying their airplanes. Air race pilots are some of the very best in aviation & watching them perform w/their aircraft out on the racecourse or while handling emergencies, is truly-impressive & awe-inspiring.

Mon. 9/8/03-UNL Qualifying & Practice Session #1- First photo shows Michael Brown & his Hawker Super Sea Fury- #232 'September Fury' going by Outer 7 Pylon during setup Lap 3 for their race team's Q-Run attempt. The next two sequence shots capture #232 running very fast along the racecourse's 'V-O-S' on Lap 6,-during the middle of the Q-Run for the clock, when the racer's R-3350 blew-up in big fashion. Brown did a super job of executing an exciting textbook mayday emergency landing to save the situation, but was out of the competition f/Reno '03.

WOW! Great Flying, MIKE!!!

DBD
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BuckyD; 05-30-2010, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Someone parked those ugly cars right in front of the Buick.
        Last edited by BaylesScott; 05-09-2010, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BaylesScott View Post
          Someone parked those ugly cars right in front of the Buick.
          LOL!!!
          "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

"Wild Blue Yonder!"...

Vintage June '85 hand-held pic- shot from the bow hatch of Westflight Aviation Grumman JRF-6B Goose N72PR (s/n-1164), during pilot Randy Lanfell's climbout after takeoff from WF Ketchikan, Alaska company seadrome.

My old pal & noted Japanese aviation photo-journalist- Yukio Nagai, is ridin' in the copilot's seat during his Alaska visit. That's Nichols Passage & Dixon Entrance to the open Pacific Ocean in the distant background.

"Comin' By Grumman!"

DBD
            Attached Files
            Last edited by BuckyD; 05-13-2010, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Hope that's not Jerry Duty's dog.....
              Can't be, it's on the wrong side of the prop...
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                Can't be, it's on the wrong side of the prop...
                No...but Don's eyeing him......

Comment

"Ramped-Up 4 Racin'..."

Reno NCAR-Thur. 9/11/80- Gonna reprise this vintage early a.m. Reno '80 Buck Shot, 'cuz it reminds me of some great times from back then,-while also sparkin' my anticipation f/another approaching September race week.

DBD
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by BuckyD; 05-13-2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                    "Ramped-Up 4 Racin'..."

Reno NCAR-Thur. 9/11/80- Gonna reprise this vintage early a.m. Reno '80 Buck Shot, 'cuz it reminds me of some great times from back then,-while also sparkin' my anticipation f/another approaching September race week.

DBD
                    Thanks Bucky.. you continue to spark both memories and interest in the sport with your photo presentations on the message board!

I sincerely hope you know how much you are appreciated!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hey Wayne-

I'm just havin' a blast goin' through lots of old (& some new) photos - may as well share 'em!

THX f/the appreciative words.

DBD

Comment

Ridge Runner III @ Reno '09

The 8th USAAF's 4th FG is my favorite WW2 Mustang outfit & everytime I get to watch Dan Martin race his beautiful P-51D "Ridge Runner III"- painted-up in tribute of Maj. Pierce McKennon's famous fighter, I'm in absolute-'hog heaven'!

Here's a mini-gallery of Race #20 pics from last year's Reno NCAR (L-R/Top-down):

First two shots show Dan 'greasin' her in' on his arrival landing Sun. 9/13/09, w/a good profile of RRIII. Then a trio of pics from Sat. 9/19- an early a.m. runup fm Martin's dawn patrol test flight, & two of his crew workin' away on the P51 just before sundown. Last two Outer 4 Pylon race shots are from Sunday's 9/20 Gold Championship final.

"GO RIDGE RUNNER III!"

DBD
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by BuckyD; 01-06-2014, 12:54 PM.

Comment

RidgeRunner111 was a surprise and a highlight during the 2009 season. On Saturday i was shocked to hear RidgeRunner111 and Strega's Avg. speeds. 2010 is shaping into a great year for Air racing.
                          ThankYou Bucky for "Buck Shots"

Comment

' BIG Battle for BRONZE '. . .

RACE: Sun. 9/18/88-UNL Bronze Final- This vintage archive pic captures a 'Fury-ous' running-battle f/position goin' on around old Outer 6 & down along the Valley of Speed,-between the Hawker Sea Furies of Robert Lamplough (#232), Dennis Sanders (#924), John Muszala (#20 Cottonmouth) & C. J. Stephens (#16 Baby Gorilla).

Bud Granley flying P-51D #51 & Lefty Gardner's P-38 #13 White Lightnin' (& Fred Sebby in P-40N #17 Spud Lag behind Lefty & not yet in the pic) are trailing them. Race leader- Gary Levitz flying P-51D #38 Miss Ashley won this 8-lap Bronze hands-down @ 381.347-av/mph. But what a battle f/2nd-place!!!

THAT's- 'GREAT RACING!!!'

DBD
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by BuckyD; 05-22-2010, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Chock-full of- 'Fast-Flying FUN'. . .

After waiting another whole year,-it's always a joyful experience to find myself standing amidst a pit full of racers & airshow birds at the Reno Air Races each September & knowing the fun-meter's gonna get a good workout again.

DBD
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by BuckyD; 05-22-2010, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Wow, three Centaurus powered Furies in that first shot! I sure miss Furies with the "proper" number of blades up front. I'm really holding out hope that the Sanders get their two seater back together and keep it stock.

Comment

Working...
                                X