Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

Originally posted by Chad Veich View Post
    Interesting prop choice. Is this something new?
    Aeroproducts Skyraider prop. Same mfr. dwg. # as this new surplus example currently for sale on eBay Motors fm a Reno seller:

Chad, I'm no gearhead, but I believe this is the standard prop used for the R-3350-fitted Sea Furies today, and The Bear when she's using the 4-blade propeller setup. Perhaps some others can chime-in here w/their input too.

DBD

(Hey, 'Buy-It-Now' for only $48,500.00! )

Comment

Memory has faded a bit over the years but... When the Bear guys first took off the 3 blader, they borrowed Tom Dwelle's prop off Critical Mass.. Then when the Dwelle's decided to take the airplane back to stock, they bought the engine. .Can't remember if the prop was part of the deal but I remember a late nighter when the prop guy had to work on the freshly rebuilt prop in the old Bear Cave.. (I took pix and they are on the site somewhere I think) Dunno if any of the old Bear guys lurk any longer but they are the source if you want to know what went down over the past 7 or so years.. But yea Buck, you're right Skyraider prop, pretty much same as all the SF's use now.
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

* The Wizard & The Witch * . . . . . . .

Thurs. 9/16/99- Dwight Thorn on the wing of Strega @ sunset.

DBD
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BuckyD; 07-09-2010, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
          * The Wizard & The Witch * . . . . . . .

Thurs. 9/16/99- Dwight Thorn on the wing of Strega @ sunset.

DBD

Doc and his 'commando' shorts. All that's missing is his blue down vest.

Bucky, by '99 hadn't you learned it was dangerous to take photos of Doc when he was anywhere above eye-level? MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
            Bucky, by '99 hadn't you learned it was dangerous to take photos of Doc when he was anywhere above eye-level? MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!!!
            Ahhh- Nope. Apparently, I somehow missed that one...

DBD

Comment

More- 'R-Rs' & 'H-Hs'...("Fly Low-Fly Fast!")

RACE: Sat. 9/16/83-UNL HT#2- Bob Yancey & his F4U-4 Corsair- #101 'Old Blue' skim just above the desert sagebrush, while headin' f/old Outer 4 Pylon. Bob finished 5th in last place @ 332.060-av/mph in this 6-lap event,-which was handily-won by another Corsair- Race #1 'Bud Light Special' super corsair-flown by Steve Hinton, w/a winning-speed of 403.578-av/mph.

Definately a- "Ridge-Runnin' Hedge-Hopper"!

"Blue Skies & Tailwinds Forever" - Bob Yancey!

DBD
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BuckyD; 07-09-2010, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Bucky,
                Thanks! These photos are great! I miss the Yancy's, what a class act!

I think I have some photos of that LB-30 when it was in Galena. I'll have to make a trip out to storage and find them. While I was in Galena, I talked to a lot of the "old timers" who would tell me about all the aircraft crashes around Galena. Galena was used during WWII as a "Lend Lease" airfield. A lot of the aircraft that were going to the Soviets stopped to refuel there and were sometimes kept overnight. I remember seeing a photo of the inside of the Birchwood hanger with wall to wall P-39's! As most of the stories went, the aircraft would sometimes run out of fuel before reaching Galena. Supposedly the area is dotted with P-39's, P-63's, P-38's, B-25's, etc. with most of the aircraft bellying in leaving the airframes pretty much complete. The only wreckage that I ever personally saw was a B-57 and an F-102. I told Steve Hinton about them, but he didn't seem too interested and said that he'd been hearing about those wrecks for years. I never had the time to go with these guys to look at the crash sites. I was only up there a short time in the early 90's. I was doing some government contract work and always kept track of warbird stories. One of these days I'll have to tell you about the complete crated A6M Zero that's buried under the south end of McClellan's runway!

Race 29
                Last edited by Race 29; 07-11-2010, 08:29 PM.
                Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Hey Race 29-

Yes indeed- alot of us miss the Yanceys & their homespun approach to racing an Unlimited Corsair & Super Yak over the years at Reno. Nicest folks you could ever hope to meet & they always had time for their friends & fans stoppin' by to chat. Bob was a super race pilot, if their ever was one.

I'd sure love to see those LB-30 shots you took at Galena some day. Alaska's vast & rugged wilderness is certainly rich in aircraft aluminum (w/most every manufacturer well-represented too). Thankfully, due to the determined interest of a few dedicated salvagers over the years, we have alot of great historic airplanes recovered that are now in museums or flying on the vintage warbird & antique airshow circuits today educating & entertaining present & future generations of plane buffs. Hats-off to 'em all for rescuing these grand old birds from the elements & oblivion.

DBD

Comment

"Carry a Big Stick!"

Scott Moore shows he's got a really good handle on his job as an official volunteer RARA Pylon Judge.

DBD
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BuckyD; 07-12-2010, 03:03 PM.

Comment

"Czech Six!"

DBD
                      Attached Files

Comment

love those pics Bucky, im a huge fan of your work, love the first one with the Mate chasing the bearcat...
                        race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Thanks Kiwi. You really do need to find a way to make it across the Big Pacific Pond to take in the air races!

DBD

Comment

"Sunset Arrival".........

Reno '81 NCAR- Jimmy Leeward & his P-51D Mustang Racer #9- 'Cloud Dancer' arrive at Stead Field right at sundown.

DBD
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by BuckyD; 07-13-2010, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                              Thanks Kiwi. You really do need to find a way to make it across the Big Pacific Pond to take in the air races!

DBD
                              Bucky It is the top thing on my bucket list..... Im currently trying to perfect a money tree so i can plant it and watch it grow and never have to worry about money again hahaha
                              race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

"Comin' by Grumman!"

Chino Planes of Fame Airshow-"Salute to Grumman"/Sat. 5-16-09:

Two classic navy "Grumman Ironworks" biplanes make a close formation flypast for airshow fans- J2F-6 Duck amphibian & F3F-2 carrier fighter.

"Keep 'Em Flyin'!"

DBD
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by BuckyD; 07-14-2010, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X