X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 'BUCK SHOTS'

'Hard-Chargers'....... !!!

Sun. 9/20/92-Reno NCAR- UNL Gold Race- Lap-2- Outer 6 Pylon:

One of modern day air racing's greatest competitive rivalries within the Unlimited Class have been those epic duels over the years between- 'Bearcat vs. Mustang' ('Round-motor vs. Inline') & certainly no match-ups epitomized that more than those exciting duels between- RARE BEAR & STREGA !!!

"Sevens are Wild!"- in this Valley of Speed shot, showing Bill 'Tiger' Destefani in #7 Strega leading Lyle Shelton in #77 Rear Bear going hard-at-it around old Outer 6 Pylon. Though there was no stopping The Bear at Reno '91, Strega led the '92 Gold from start-to-finish @ 450.835-av/mph for the 8-lap final.

When #77's race motor let-go bigtime while chasing #7 during Lap 5,- forcing Shelton to execute a mayday race exit & while pulling-out, Lyle chivalrously-saluted his rival w/the enthusiastic R/T- "GO-TIGER, GO!"

DBD

(BTW-One of the most incredible pieces of inflight air racing film footage ever is included in SKYFIRE '92 - covering this Gold Race w/a candid rare look into the intense drama of mayday deadstick landings - a 'must-see' for race fans!)
    Attached Files

Comment

Great shot & story. I had to get out my "92" SkyFire & watch it again. Those 2 had some of the greatest rivalry of "Air Racing" in those years.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

"Happy Cyclops!"-

Sat. 9/11/04-Reno NCAR: 'Nose Shots' have always-been a favorite aviation photo composition subject, f/all the folks who like to shoot airplane pictures, professionally or just f/fun, anywhere aircraft are to be found. Captured-here, is P-51D Race #31-'Speedball Alice's colorful 'schnoz', poking-out on the Stead Field ramp.

DBD
        Attached Files

Comment

I like the pic with Bluff in the hangar next to the Jet Ranger. Some never really notice the size of those round pounders until you see something like that. Great pics Bucky. Keep em' coming.

BTW, your print of the P40s hitting the planes over Wheeler (can't remember the title) is hanging for all to see in the lounge at the Bellows Field Recreational center.
          John

Loves airplanes and runs freight trains.

Comment

Hey thanks, MP! Good to know that an "Up & At 'Em!" print is on display there @ Bellows (-where P-40 crews took heavy fire also on 12/7/41). Appreciate the kind kudos & good 'intelligence'!

DBD

Comment

"Precious Metal!" (-The 'Original')

Don Whttington's gorgeous P-51D Mustang Unlimited Class Gold air racer- #09-Precious Metal (N5483V), rests on the ramp @ the 1979 Miami-Homestead Air Races.

DBD
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BuckyD; 04-20-2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Great shot, Bucky! A purdier Mustang never to be found! In fact, when Ralph and Gary built the plane they painted the two cherries on the top of the landing gear door because in Ralph's words "You'll never find a cherrier Mustang anywhere!"
                Last edited by BuckyD; 04-12-2012, 10:57 AM. Reason: Adjacent post-removed quote

Comment

What model Mustang is PM? The tail seems different (taller) than the "D" model.
                  "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
                    What model Mustang is PM? The tail seems different (taller) than the "D" model.
                    It was a D-model Mustang retrofitted with the tail off of a P-51H for better directional stability at speed.

Comment

I would love to have seen the original Precious Metal, especially with the lower canopy. Sigh, I guess I will have to settle for the new Griffon powered one.
                      Might as well throw Georgia Mae in there as well. Any pictues Mr. Dawson?

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
                        I would love to have seen the original Precious Metal, especially with the lower canopy. Sigh, I guess I will have to settle for the new Griffon powered one.

Jarrod
                        I'm not Mr. Dawson, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...but lest your request fall on deaf ears, here is Georgia Mae about a half hour after the 1986 Championship race.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                          Great shot, Bucky! A purdier Mustang never to be found! In fact, when Ralph and Gary built the plane they painted the two cherries on the top of the landing gear door because in Ralph's words "You'll never find a cherrier Mustang anywhere!"
                          Brad - Was this the first appearance of "The Prospector"?
                          Didn't realize the old duffer went that far back..
                          Mark Johnson
                          Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan View Post
                            Brad - Was this the first appearance of "The Prospector"?
                            Didn't realize the old duffer went that far back..
                            Prospector's first appearance was at the 1975 Mojave race. And for each race that Gary owned the plane--before it was sold to Whittington--the belt buckle on the nose art was different.

Comment

Thanks for the picture.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post

Jarrod
                                Here ya go there, 'Mr. Ulrich' (), (-as per your 'spcl request)...

Sweet- "Georgia Mae" -

Mon. 9/8/86-Reno NCAR-Qualifying & Practice Days:
                                Wiley Sanders' gorgeous high-buffed natural metal-finish P-51D Mustang Unlimited Class racer- #69-"Georgia Mae" (N10607) rests on the pit tarmac at Stead Field, fully-rebuilt & restored back to pristine airworthy condition, after her severe ground-loop landing accident damage the year before @ Reno '85.

DBD
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X