An Open Letter to the Air Race Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An Open Letter to the Air Race Fan

...i heard one person say it is cool they have clear covers on Strega so we can see the engine,...
    Too funny, but wouldn't that be a sight to see? I suppose if canopies can take the loads, perhaps a lexan cowling could...if they could take the heat too.
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-22-2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Besides Fat Albert, we had a U-2 Spy plane fly over! That was cool!
      I hear u on the parking situation for air race plate holders. I was turned around and told to park in Arizona. I ditched my truck off of Military road in the dirt along with other pioneering souls for free and found it not towed later in the day. I had a Blue Angel VIP pass that the gate keeper near the Rare Bear hanger didn't know anything about but I talked my way in. The Blues were just around the corner! Go figure. I tried to use the BA VIP pass to get preferred parking when the air race plates failed but that was met without success. Minor problem but makes me rethink the value of the plate! I thought I was going to be saluted with that VIP pass and couldn't even get into the pits with it. Ended up out on the VOS fence.

Comment

Spacegirl... Blue Angels, Tbirds, things like the car eating "robo" put LOCAL butts in the seats and that is the bottom line for RENO..

Isn't that what's most important? The continuing viability of RARA to be able to afford to put out the "early money" to make the show happen the next year?
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I got to be a part of one of the most important moments in recent Air Racing History! And I had one of the best Reno's ever! If you don't like the Blues or what ever is going on, go into the pits and find your favorite racer, or check out the heritage collection, go support one of the T-6, biplane or IF1 racers [OMG!!! I just want Unlimited's 24/7 WA WA WA...] YOU just hurt the sport more than anything!!! I was there for eight days and I did NOT get to see and experience everything I wanted to. WE all need to support All the classes of Racing... Whatever I get to see race is whatever I get to see and I love and support all of it, because if I don't It might not EVER happen again!
          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

I'm gonna say it again, lots of us bitch about how the races are run, every single year we've had a message board..

But someone, please, show me any other entity who has done this as long.. or NEARLY as long..

Nobody? Anybody?.......

I think this speaks for itself.

Someone is doing something right, knows more than any of us, does not listen to us when we monday morning quarterback their efforts and then goes on to do it again, and again and again.

Next??
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Every year I leave Reno amazed at what I just experienced...Its got it all...modern aviation showing its might , wildly varied classes of racers giving their all , and the mesmerizing sight that is truly a time capsule event of WWII era airplanes pushing the very limits of nearly 70 year old designs...its like we are at Cleveland in the 40s...I have no complaints...never will...I love it..oh yeah...the blonds with the tight shirts are just fine with me as well!!!!...Wake me up next September...GO WW and Voo Doo !!!!!...Nice work RARA...and a special thanks to you Wayne...

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
                Every year I leave Reno amazed at what I just experienced...Its got it all...modern aviation showing its might , wildly varied classes of racers giving their all , and the mesmerizing sight that is truly a time capsule event of WWII era airplanes pushing the very limits of nearly 70 year old designs...its like we are at Cleveland in the 40s...I have no complaints...never will...I love it..oh yeah...the blonds with the tight shirts are just fine with me as well!!!!...Wake me up next September...GO WW and Voo Doo !!!!!...Nice work RARA...and a special thanks to you Wayne...
                well put.every year is something new,but Wayne thankfully stays the same.
                the airshow acts fill the seats but we are there for the races.I like the the Blues,
                always have,always will.Patty Wagstaf got dissed by the talking of the annoncers durring
                her act which i did'nt like,she is a class act.great crowd,always amazed how nice people
                are at the race.I will keep going as long as the have it.no complaints.
                THANKS AGAIN WAYNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lowpasskid View Post
                  but Wayne thankfully stays the same.
                  Hah! I don't type nearly as much after an eveing of fun and adult beverages.. keeps me out of trouble!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Patty Wagstaff is a great lady, and one heck of a pilot. Am I partial? Yes indeed.

The only gripe I have from this year...shutting the ramp down for the unlimited gold races and the jets. But this was an FAA thing, and there was nothing to be done but obey.

On the other hand, I'm quite excited about the future. So yeah, we've lost a few unlimited racers, but if they are restored to stock and preserved, have we really lost, or have we gained? The preservation of warbirds is very important. Would I want to see Strega, Voodoo, or even the Bear returned to stock? Heck no!! But as we loose a racer here or there, it seems that there is another coming to Reno, or planning to come.

RARA knows what they are doing, and they keep an eye and ear out for what people like and don't like. It's an amazing education whenever I get the chance to talk with a board member, or a member of NAG (Betty). There is so much more to putting on an event like this than most will ever know. The cost is crazy high, and RARA actually lost money last year. They do a great job, and where others have failed, RARA continues to succeed.

Now...a bit more about Patty. During an excursion I saw that one of my video guys was interviewing her by her aircraft. I quietly headed that direction and stayed back out of the way till the interview was over. I was intending to meet this lady of the sky that I have watched and admired for many years. While I was waiting, a guy in the box seat by where I was standing asked if I was allowed to go out on the ramp. I said yes, but that there were restrictions on where we could go and when. It was then that he asked if I could go over and ask Patty to come over to their box and sign his box seat ticket. I said sure. After Paul was done with the interview I introduced myself and told her that I was big fan, and had admired her flying for quite some time. And then I asked if she had a moment to sign a couple of autographs. She was more than happy to do so. And it really made the folks in the box happy. Like so many that come to Reno, she was easy to approach and talk to. And I'm an even bigger fan now. She said that she likes coming to Reno, and hopes that's it not another ten years before she gets to come back and wow us with her flying. And how did she come about the decision to be an aerobatic pilot? She had gone to an air show and was then hooked by the flying that she saw. Thanks for everything Patty, meeting you made this year really special.

Are there flaws? And do things go wrong? Yes...but this isn’t a perfect world.

Just my thoughts...I've got a picture or two floating around someplace.

LP

Comment

Originally posted by KAHNZILLA View Post
                      I had a great time and hope Russ got his tickets in time. I like the racing the very best but love the whole deal. In fact my wife said I have been in such a good mood she wishes the Races were three or four times a year.
                      I gave away alot of sketches and also had a great time doing that. Thanks, KC
                      Tickets arrived in time KC, again a big thanks, gave them to an unemployed friend so he could enjoy a day at the races
                      Sorry I didn't get to meet you
                      Russ
                      Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

A handful of thoughts from my six days at the fence:

Yeah, the Blues practice on Wednesday was pretty tedious. I was down in the T-6 Pits when Fat Albert was doing his high-speed passes. I kept my mouth shut, but as I heard the T-6 boys talking smack about FA, I kept thinking that he's still faster than a T-6.

If you think the BA show opening is slow, you should go to Nellis. I think it takes half an hour or more for the TBirds to get their crap together and fly... and that's after stopping the show for 20 minutes in the morning for a run-up. Blues are taxiing in less than 10.

I think it's unfortunate that they had both David Martin and Patty Wagstaff on the bill. They're both outstanding performers, and while they're rather different routines if you're deep into aerobatics, they're pretty similar in the broad strokes. Yes, solo aerobatics in an Extra again.

If you really want to impress the locals, bring The Collaborators up.

So the Blues draw the crowd to keep things going. If you don't like the Blues, you got a pit pass, right? When I got back to the timeshare on Thursday night, I realized I'd had nice chats with two astronauts, and it didn't even occur to me at the time. I was at the fence in the pits during the Gold race on Sunday with Sherm Smoot's sister behind me asking me to scan the desert through my 400mm and call out the race order as they passed Pylon 5. *That* is what Reno's all about for me.

Yes, things are changing. But the racing is still there, and we had some great races this year.

Haven't had time to do a real edit, but my 'daily rushes' are up here.

It's been a busy year, so Reno's the only airshow I've made... but I think I'm going to have to hit Nellis now.
                        Last edited by n6mod; 09-23-2009, 08:33 AM. Reason: Don't write before Coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                          Spacegirl... Blue Angels, Tbirds, things like the car eating "robo" put LOCAL butts in the seats and that is the bottom line for RENO..

Isn't that what's most important? The continuing viability of RARA to be able to afford to put out the "early money" to make the show happen the next year?
                          I'm not complaining about the idea of a jet demonstration team, just THAT jet team. The T-birds seem to be better these days as do the Snowbirds.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                            I'm not complaining about the idea of a jet demonstration team, just THAT jet team. The T-birds seem to be better these days as do the Snowbirds.
                            +1 for the Snowbirds. Of all the jet teams, I think they have the best show. Mostly due to their 9 plane formations and slower jets, they always seem to have _something_ in front of the crowd. The Blues and Tbirds, while faster/louder, have gaps in their routines where you're looking around for the next plane. The Blues/Tbirds do the 'sneak attack' better (due to their noise and speed), but for grace and beauty, gotta be the SBs!
                            I would be really cool if RARA could attract some of the other foreign jet teams, RAF Red Arrows, Italian Frecce Tricolori, etc, but I suspect that would be WAY harder...
                            TomL

Comment

I was very happy to see the Blue Angels. I haven't seen them for years. I would love it if RARA could rotate them through so we don't see the same act every year. But something is a hell of a lot better than nothing. If a team is busy that week, what are you gonna do? I am grateful for whatever I get. I could piss and moan about every little thing that I think I WOULD change, but it's not going to do anything. If you really want to be heard, write RARA a nice letter with some of your suggestions and opinions on what you thing would make it better. I'm sure they would like to hear your input. But I don't think bitching is gonna do anybody any good.
                              My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

Good post, Dwyer. Fact is, we should be incredibly grateful for having the privledge of viewing this spectacle each year. I KNOW I am. Whatever they decide to throw at us, I'm OK with. All in all, RARA does a splendid job of putting this show on. And let's not forget that unlike NASCAR, INDYCAR, NHRA, and other racing enterprises, RARA has to deal with the FAA and the rest of the alphabet soup that is Wash DC. And having some experience with that, I don't envy them one bit.

Every time I load up my vehicle after our Pylon Judge meeting at 7am each morning and head out the "sticks", or grab a seat in front of my RV parked on the field and watch a/c come and go while self-medicating after a long day out there, I thank my lucky stars for the chance to go play in RARA's sandbox.

Frankly, I don't understand the thought process that some folks have on this. Could things be run a bit better...probably. Do you think RARA has weighed its options and made informed decisions on these matters...you bet. Do they debrief each year and try to find ways to do it better next year...absolutely.

If one is upset about certain aspects of the event, write RARA a thoughtful and respectful letter of concern. Better yet, volunteer to work the event and do your part to make it better! I do...and I wouldn't trade any of it.

BTW, I know it used to be the case that DOD mandated the military air demo teams rotate show sites to ensure each branch got the exposure. There are some exceptions (my home town of Seattle being one...the Blues come here every year), but many locations see both teams on a somewhat rotating basis.

Here's to September! Man, it's gonna be a long winter!
                                Owen Ashurst
                                Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                                http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X