If not a pilot or plane who cares.

Comment

Re: 'DAGO DAYS'

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
      Tiger who????

If not a pilot or plane who cares.

Comment

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled program...

"THE 500-MPH LAP"

At Reno 2000, Team Dago Red added veteran UNL driver-Skip Holm as Race #4's new pilot, to replace their 2-time Gold winning jockey-Bruce Lockwood, who'd announced his retirement fm air race piloting.

Dago Red was in top form & facing no serious competition, the team easily racked-up a clean sweep of the event, starting w/Holm's 489.681-mph fastest UNL Q-Run. Aside fm some brief jousting w/competitor Matt Jackson in Bob Button's P-51D #5-'Voodoo' during the Gold heat starts on Friday & Saturday, Holm & Dago walked-away w/Sunday's UNL Gold Trophy 8-lap final @ 462.007-av/mph. Again, Jackson & Team Voodoo were their closest competition, but not a serious threat, & to cinch matters even more- Matt got nailed w/a huge 1-lap penalty f/jumping the start as the Gold racers launched.

Immediately following the end of the UNL Gold Race, Team Dago Red decided to send Skip back up in Race #4 to fly a 1-lap exhibition attempt to break the elusive 500-mph Lap Speed barrier. That failed PDQ, when Dago's already taxed race Merlin let-go during Skip's climb-out following his take-off & his test-pilot experience came to the rescue as Holm quickly-executed an amazing mayday emergency landing to get himself & Dago Red safely back down to the runway. The 500-mph wall stood firmly intact & that was that.

DBD
        Attached Files

Comment

Me thinks Bucky needs to write a book with pleanty of pics....
          "Reno in the 21st Century". Maybe even a DVD inside the jacket....

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
            Dago Red being absent from the race circuit is like Tiger Woods being absent from the golf tournaments back when he was the best...makes absolutely no sense...
            Major difference here, if Tiger went back to golf, he was guaranteed (more or less) multi-millions.. in winnings and endorsements...

Most likely, the new owners of what is left of Dago, are thinking in $$'s and cc's and will, likely, embark on the path which will bring them the most return on their $$ investment..

With Dago in some state of disassembly, it simply does not make economic sense to do anything other than return the airplane to stock configuration..

I did not say that this is what I want to see or that I'd agree with this path, assuming, this is what eventually happens.

I'd like to think, dream... that Dago is well along on a major overhaul in a hangar somewhere, in preparation for a run at the currently Bear owned records, followed by a seriously competitive week at RENO 2012! Oh yea.. a last minute, not announced, appearance at PRS 2012!

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Bucky... excellent posts with your even more excellent images! As always, I can't thank you enough for sharing here!

Still owe you a landline commo!!!!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

A couple Dago offerings...what a sweet sound at 500mph. Never forget that pass.
                Attached Files
                Owen Ashurst
                Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                http://airbossone.com/

Comment

"Dago Silhouettes"...

Photos (L-R):

1. "Dago Daybreak"- Fri. 9/17/99: Pilot-Bruce Lockwood leans-out of the cockpit to confer w/crew chief-Bill Kerchenfaut & crew, during his engine start checklist, in prep f/his 'dawn patrol' test flight in Race #4.

2. "Victory Ride"- Sun. 9/17/00: Team Dago Red crew & family bask in the warm glow of the low sunlight, enjoying their celebrative ramp tow wing-ride back to the pits fm victory circle in front of the spectator grandstands, after Skip Holm's first UNL Gold Trophy victory flying the speedy red stallion.

3. "Dago Sundown"- Tue. 9/15/98: Another grand Reno sunset blazes over Stead Field on the second day of qualifying & practice, as Dago Red's crew stand-by to carefully monitor one last engine test-run of the day, before returning their racer back to its pit stall for the night.

DBD
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by BuckyD; 03-25-2012, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
                    Me thinks Bucky needs to write a book with pleanty of pics....
                    "Reno in the 21st Century". Maybe even a DVD inside the jacket....
                    I'd buy that!!! It's been almost 30 yrs. since Tegler did his book and I think there'd be a market for this.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                      I'd buy that!!! It's been almost 30 yrs. since Tegler did his book and I think there'd be a market for this.
                      Not sure how big a market there is out there but I think someday folks can write a book on their computers, sell it "on Line" to where those that pay can see it on their computers and see all the pics and embedded videos...my problem is that I am an old foggy that still likes books made out of paper...and that means a publisher and printing costs.....
                      Chris being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
                        Not sure how big a market there is out there but I think someday folks can write a book on their computers, sell it "on Line" to where those that pay can see it on their computers and see all the pics and embedded videos...my problem is that I am an old foggy that still likes books made out of paper...and that means a publisher and printing costs.....
                        Chris being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century
                        First, awesome Dago shots all.

Second, that day is already here Chris. People can e-publish or have print-on-demand / self-published books. Publishers, like Specialty (who no longer publish new books) and Ian Allan/Midland (who are reviewing a number of their working titles) are scaling back. People are just not buying what they used to. Maybe its the economy or maybe its a shift of interest, but from what I have been told, it is tough. I'd love for another Tegler book to come out and there have been many rumors that one was near completion a few years back. But I think it, and others, faltered on the publishing front.

Back to Dago (saving a puppy)....
                        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

[QUOTE=W J Pearce;99992]First, awesome Dago shots all.

Second, that day is already here Chris. People can e-publish or have print-on-demand / self-published books. Publishers, like Specialty (who no longer publish new books) and Ian Allan/Midland (who are reviewing a number of their working titles) are scaling back. People are just not buying what they used to. Maybe its the economy or maybe its a shift of interest, but from what I have been told, it is tough. I'd love for another Tegler book to come out and there have been many rumors that one was near completion a few years back. But I think it, and others, faltered on the publishing front.

Back to Dago (saving a puppy)....

Hey Bill...yeah...I know about e-publishing....I am not sure if they are at the point where I could touch a screen and get a still pic to turn into a great vid....maybe they are....but there is just something about quality books (Wet Wings and Drop Tanks) that you can hold in your hands....Maybe Bucky can make a DVD with his voice telling the stories while the vids play....I would like that....
                          Last edited by BuckyD; 03-26-2012, 12:12 PM. Reason: Delete duplicated photo fm adjacent post quoted. -DBD

Comment

I agree w/Chris- Nothin's the same as a traditional hardcopy book, that you can hold in your hands to read & peruse-through, whilst sittin' in a comfortable easy chair. Some added prestige & reward too- especially in seeing the book jacket spine sandwiched between companion historical ref. works on the shelf in your ref. library.

Re. dvd w/narration- Well, having done many public slide lecture presentations in the past, including one as a guest lecturer at the Smithsonian's NASM Langley Theater back in Nov. 1988 (-which was videotaped as part of NASM's General Electric-sponsored aviation history lecture series) & co-production on several TV documentaries, I just have to say that's a different critter altogether.

Either way, it takes $$$$ to produce and distribute it, which is not easy to successfully-solicit interest in & even more-formidable of a challenge to self-publish (finance) & market. Just ask the guys trying to get their "Maximum Performance" racing P-51 Mustang book published & out for all us hungry fans who've been chompin' at the bit f/it's long-anticipated release.

Have to admit, I'm still in the dark about e-publishing, etc., but W.J. hit the nail on the head about economics being a crucial factor affecting book sales market interest.

But enuff-said, guys (I happen to love puppies ). Now how 'bout we please quit digressing & let's get back to the fun subject of- DAGO RED history!

DBD
                            Last edited by BuckyD; 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bucky. Dago was always my favorite as a young man. I was in the VOS on 500 Friday. Leo described it perfect. (We must have been sitting next to each other). I have always had 4 as my race number because of it.

I sure hope to see it 'round the sticks again one day. Seaweed free of coarse.
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

OK, how about this film of Dago? Look at the 4 minute mark......
                                A video of the life, milestones and achievements of the legendary pilot, Skip Holm. This video was created for the award ceremony when Skip received the pres...

Comment

Working...
                                X