Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JetPOD crashes on maiden flight, creater lost...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JetPOD crashes on maiden flight, creater lost...

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
    Not correct about the engines blowing on the flaps to increase lift. That wasn't done until the C-17, and is why it's engines are mounted close-to and forward of the wing on shorter-than-usual pylons, rather than well below like the older aircraft.

On the Boeing, large gaps exist BETWEEN the flaps to allow the jet thrust to blow directly back. Said older aircraft's flaps weren't designed for hot exhaust to strike them.

If you watched many B-52'a take off, sometimes the rear wheels actually lift off before the fronts.

Take care, be well, and thank you for taking up the topic with me.

Yeah 2 aspects make b-52 special..gear layout saves weight and ailerons don't produce negative lift when deployed.

Like seen here...the flaps are enermous.

Jetpod fuse seemed to me quite short...doesn't that make AC easily unstable at take off and flight ?
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

yes, but the Questair Venture guys seem to have little trouble with short-coupled layouts...

...And Northrop's flying wings are about as short coupled as you can get, with the elevators right on the trailing edge of the wing!

Short aircraft will be more touchy than those with a long fuselage, but they manage to get by that limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
        ...And Northrop's flying wings are about as short coupled as you can get, with the elevators right on the trailing edge of the wing!

Short aircraft will be more touchy than those with a long fuselage, but they manage to get by that limitation.
        How come I have a haunch that test pilot Robert Gardenas might have a different opinion ?
        Last edited by First time Juke; 09-23-2009, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Apologies for bringing this topic back to life but footage of the incident was recently discovered on Youtube.

IMPORTANT: The pilot/designer was lost in this tragedy, so please don't watch if viewing such may upset you.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VapC_CxzQlw&feature=related[/YT]

Comment

Somehow reminds of this crash of a prototype.

Comment

One thing we can now be sure of, he did not achieve 600' altitude before the pitch up.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Veich View Post
                One thing we can now be sure of, he did not achieve 600' altitude before the pitch up.
                no... looks like it pitched up as it lifted off... straight into a verticle where it ran out of airspeed
                race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

As IcePaq was saying...

Comment

Yep. Makes me think the T-tail may have been at least partially involved now.

Many T-tailed aircraft require a good pull on the wheel to get the nose up for lift-off, since the elevator is up high and out of the boosting effect of the prop airflow. Once up you have to quickly push forward again to maintain the correct pitch else you end up rotating the nose up too high.

If you DON'T perform this little extra-pull maneuver then you may just end up simply scooting down the runway on a Sunday cruise.

Since the designer/pilot had already made 3 attempts to get off the ground and couldn't, then did the major pitch-up maneuver on the last and final run, I suspect this I speak of may have been at least partially responsible. I also would wager that he didn't have any significant T-tail time.

Comment

I have a feeling deploying the flaps fully was not a good idea. CG may have been too aft and gear placed dangerously aft. Also the elevator looks very very small...and stabilizer too big..IMHO.

Comment

Terminal pitch up right at rotation.

I figured that the initial reports of it pitching up after it attained 200 meters were incorrect.

I think the video supports my earlier posts.

Comment

Working...
                        X