Me 262 landing incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me 262 landing incident

The 262 in Everet made its second flight today and had its left main gear fold during landing, the aircraft went off the runway folded nose gear and has some fairly major damage, Pilot is fine , there was some very clear vidio from in cockpit and out side tape, saw it on King-5 Seattle

Best wishes for the team on this historic project

king5.com/topstories/NW_011703AVBmesserschmidt.328f35ff.html

Me-262 damaged by landing incident has been pulled from ditch where it came to rest, and has returned to its hanger via large flat-bed trailer. Later I would like to have a list of the dammaged parts to post.
    Boeing graciously donated the manpower, crane, and truck used to retrieve the jet plane.
    The pilot, Wolfgang, mentioned striking a concrete bulkhead in the ditch where the jet plane stopped, thirty feet down from the field (if you get to see the video of this watch for the tail to raise as Wolfgang impacts the bulkhead and the plane finally comes to a halt). Had the plane not stopped there, it would have found itself another fifty or more feet farther down the ravene.
    Returning to the hanger the Me-262 had its canopy, flaps, and ailerons all removed. Blue tarp covered the cockpit and was held down by duct tape. Me-262 perched on the tail of a flat-bed twice the length of the jet plane. The gear retracted and the plane proped upon large styrofoam blocks. Lifting straps secured at root of both wings, slung under the leading edge and up through a hole in the wing just aft of #2 spar.

Comment

Me-262 Damage Report

Oddly enough, not much damage

LEFT ENGINE NASEL: bottom front folded up into center cone blocking FOD saving engine; nasel completely replaced

RIGHT ENGINE NASEL: paint scuffed on underside; no new skins

ENGINES: only one had main rotor blade dings, so small the in house engine fello can buff out himself; engines are good

NOSE CONE: never touched the ground; contacted some brush and is just fine

RIGHT WING ROOT: leading edge dammage (by concrete) from root six inches out, only half inch deep; this stopped the aircraft

RIGHT FUSELAGE SKIN @ WING ROOT: twelve inches round from leading egde, dent mearly cosmetic (by concrete); new skin there

FUSELAGE BELLY: paint barely scuffed ( and I mean b a r e l y )

LEFT & RIGHT WING TOP SKINS: holes cut in gear wells by Boeing emploies for lifting straps; new skins
      LANDING GEAR: removed and shall be replaced with new ( may or may not be completely redesigned )
      ....The crew has attempted to recreate what failed with the gear, and has not been able to fail as what occured during last flight, the gear has a fuse in the gear well but will not burn out, they've blown hydro lines and blown hydro fittings, but the fuse will not burn out. The gear have red and green lights, but no lock down confermation lights (may be a new upgrade there). The gear has one hydro pump (may have two in the near future).
      ....May go with a braker switch in the cockpit, backup hydro pump, some entire new design ( these will be changes from the origional, difficult for the team that has created a 99% accurate model )
      ....The only deviations this aircraft has from an origional are:
      the engines, fuel cells, nose gear (origional nose gear too fragile), and ballast in nose where the guns used to live (I suspect that they duplicated thoes as well, but don't say anything). Everything else, including materials, was reverse enginered and duplicated (five times- yes they built five).

I was told the pilot experienced a lack of hydrolic pressure. He elected to blow the gear down with the backup pressre tank (for emergencies) and this is what he came down with, one gear not locked down.

Six Weeks Down Time: thats what they told the owner, in house prospects are three weeks. There just wasn't any visible damage with the aircraft. simply stunning.

Comment

Truly Amazing!

Looks like we've had two of the most precious recreations on the brink and through some act of forgiveness by the air gods, we will see both in the air again, perhaps in the same time frame.

Absolutely amazing!

Both accidents could have been much much much worse!

I should correct that "accidents" to "incidents" as this is, I believe, what both are "officially" listed as..

Amazing!

Thanks to whomever posted the information above, it is much appreciated!

Wayne Sagar
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
        X