Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bird strike (nemesis or otherwise)

Default Re: Bird strike (nemesis or otherwise)

I liken Red Bull Air Racing to autocross and drift racing in the car world.

at least they have more than one race a year.racin or not.if we dont do something there may not even be the one we get anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyracer View Post
    I liken Red Bull Air Racing to autocross and drift racing in the car world.
    Or time trials.

I can't believe that everybody gets into this little Red Bull air racing battle. It's all aviation and they are both great for the aviation community. I haven't noticed Red Bull's air racing taking anything away from Reno's event. They are two different sports in my opinion. Nascar vs. off road rally racing (bad comparison but you get the point). I have never been to a Red Bull event but one day I would like to go. Now if I had to choose between the two.... then that is another story.
    Last edited by DWYER; 05-14-2009 at 08:49 AM.
    My heart starts beating again in September.

They ARE totally different animals. Both are great to watch. Problem seems to be the symantics of the word "race".
    One is a race against the clock, the other a race between two or more planes. Both are still racing.
    I'm a little jealous of Red Bulls popularity but face it, they have multiple venues (not realistic with Reno style racing), worldwide, with lots of glitz, noise, flashy video and loud annoncers. It is fast paced and showy, perfect for a generation brought up on video games and MTV.
    I don't think I personally would want to see too much of that in Reno style racing. A few years ago there was an ad campaign locally with the tag line (in my best wrassling annoncer voice) "come Sunday SOMETHING is going to hit the fan". That what we really want? But I bet numbers were up that year...

i dont know why we dont have more races,we should ,there are a few places that still want races. we should have a series of races and make reno like the daytona 500 (grand pubah) of the series.

I think it would be cool to initiate a competition in all catagories of aviation from Sailplane racing to Red Bull, Reno, lighter than air, aerobatics, parachutes, etc.,etc...Win points in 3 or more catagories, the most points gets "World Champion in Aviation", or something...D.

It's been discussed to death on several boards. Bottom line is lack of equipment and money, at least for the unlimiteds.
    It would be possible, I think, for some of the other classes to do it. All it would take is a place and a decent purse. A much smaller venue would be possible as the courses would be smaller in the other classes. If you built interest that way, you might get a couple to run unlimiteds eventually as the coverage and money grew, if it did.
    I still don't think you could get more than 2-3 unlimited races a year just because of the logistics of running that class. Sure would be cool tho.

unlim are the show ponies of the sport but there are alot of other racing classes that are just as cool and dont get half the glory, f1 hell yeah

The only thing that ticks me off about RBAR is how they got the "idea" to do it in the first place...

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"