Super Sport Kit Rule Rumor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Sport Kit Rule Rumor

Heard a rumor that the sport class was dropping the kit rule.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Does this make the other unlimited class truly obsolete?

Should I be excited or pissed?

id bet its a RUMOR

Originally posted by DoubleWasp View Post
    Heard a rumor that the sport class was dropping the kit rule.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Does this make the other unlimited class truly obsolete?

Should I be excited or pissed?
    nothing more nothing less

Comment

Re: Super Sport Kit Rule Rumor

Whoa, thats crazy!

That would change everything!

Comment

That's great. Finally another "true" racing class. Kinda reminiscent of the way-old 550c.i. class from the "Golden Age of Air Racing".

Don't panic, the big iron will be around for a long time. And it will be a long, long time before Super Sport breaks 500 mph.

IMHO of course.

Comment

If so, we could easily see the super sports being the fastest class within several years. i.e. As soon as someone could get it built.

The weight rule in the unlimited class nearly forces people to use old fighter planes which were never designed for all out speed. Their wings, structures, etc. were designed to carry weight at high altitudes for extended periods of time. Even with extensive mods you still have the basic structure to carry around. While I like the old fighters a new 1000 lb super sport with a 3000 hp engine will beat a old 6000+ lb unlimited with 3000 hp any day of the week.

Can you imagine a modern composite aircraft slightly larger than an NXT with a supped up merlin in it? Gone!!!

Comment

it would sure settle the debate on Andy's 12 cylinder rocket sled

Comment

I would agree... but...

Originally posted by bflynt View Post
              If so, we could easily see the super sports being the fastest class within several years. i.e. As soon as someone could get it built.

The weight rule in the unlimited class nearly forces people to use old fighter planes which were never designed for all out speed. Their wings, structures, etc. were designed to carry weight at high altitudes for extended periods of time. Even with extensive mods you still have the basic structure to carry around. While I like the old fighters a new 1000 lb super sport with a 3000 hp engine will beat a old 6000+ lb unlimited with 3000 hp any day of the week.

Can you imagine a modern composite aircraft slightly larger than an NXT with a supped up merlin in it? Gone!!!
              they could not defeat the wake turbulence put out by a war bird so I doubt they would ever be able to compete head to head.

Comment

Originally posted by bflynt View Post

1000 pound airframes supporting a big heavy Merlin? Would the dang thing fold it's wings up and die after encountering severe turbulence from a much bigger aircraft racing in front of it? That was the whole reason for the unlimited class weight limit anyway.

Tsunami was smaller and slicker than a P-51, yet it didn't enjoy any great advantages over the bigger machines. A properly tuned and well-running engine was still the deciding factor in winning. I don't think you can safely run a big vintage V-12 in a smaller airframe than that.

Anyway, I still get all worked up seeing the old iron going around the course at speed. You'll never get that sensation with a new 'glass racer.

Comment

I haven't heard the official rumor, but my guess is that it only would change the kit quantity restrictions. Things like engine displacement, which is currently limited, I would imagine would stay the same or similiar and would preclude a large displacement engines like a merlin. It would, I imagine, allow planes like the v8 powered plane that Dave Morse has test flown and other one off, custom built sport planes.
                  Last edited by Arctic Cat; 03-31-2009, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Copied from similar thread on Warbirdaeropress.com

From Lee Behel:

SPORT: We have specified that Sport airplanes can use spray bars to help cool the engine, but only sprayed externally and only water. This is in accordance with the intent of the original rules which were slightly ambiguous.

SUPER SPORT: We have liberalized the allowed modifications. Whereas Sport Airplanes must use fuselage, canopy, wings, tails and control surfaces from the original kit, the Super Sports will not share this requirement. This will allow 3 NXT variants which are currently under construction to be able to race, and opens the field to mods in the future that we haven’t thought of yet. This is also in accordance with our original intent, but not well articulated.

Our intent down the road is to cease mixing the Sport and Super Sport heats together, but we will have to wait on attendance numbers before we can make that specific change.

That should clear it up.

Comment

It makes sense when you get enough aircraft that are really outpacing the rest (and some that have the potential) to get them out of the mix which seems to be the intent of Super Sport. Once that is done, loosening the rules so they can experiment a little seems a natural progression. Can't wait to see the speeds that will be produced in the future!
                      I was not a big sport fan (except the great race between Parker and Greenameyer a few years back) until this last year. With the speeds they are turning, the noise, etc. it is getting darn exciting.
                      I wonder when this will start to happen in the bipes, bringing back the racing biplane class?
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Watching the best of Super Sport last year had me swallowing hard to keep the ol' blood pump out of my throat. It was "edge of the seat" excitement to see those planes running (seemingly) near the ragged edge. and wondering how long the race prepared Lycomings and Continentals (huh?) could stand up to the punishment. Exciting, yes, but the little plastic airplanes will never match the raw excitement, sound, feel, and sky filling sight of the Unlimited's.

Comment

Working...
                        X