Stead Air Tanker Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stead Air Tanker Base

The news, both TV and RGJ have been reporting the last couple of days that in a cost cutting move BLM is moving it's heavy tanker base from Minden/Tahoe to the Stead facility. Planes and personel. I guess worse case scenario would be a fire during the races where the tankers are very active. Cool for those of us living nearby that like to see them come and go.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

ugh!

the tanker base guys are really good and accommodating but the ramp is getting pretty crowded. Heavy tankers could be a problem although it has been pretty easy in the past to work them in as needed...

Comment

Re: Stead Air Tanker Base

I guess we'll have to recruit the entire populace to enforce the 'No Fire During the Races' policy! I can just see IF1s launching in the wake of a P-3! For that matter, heavy unlimiteds all looking like maydays climbing out
      to clear in Lead Ships and S-2s! Maybe the Air Races really 'aren't' wanted? I get bad vibes! But, then again, the glass IS half empty!

Comment

It has been done in the past, just takes planning and cooperation.

I REALLY DON'T THINK THIS MEANS THE END OF AIR RACING.

Comment

WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

No, i didn't say the Sky is Falling!, I'm just saying it wil change the way racing is conducted. Tankers will own the air as long as the Fire Boss calls them in! Flying Fire Trucks, you have to 'pull over'! A BD-5J
          airshow act was flying during Tanker Ops at Fox Field in Lancaster, CA and he wound up curtailing the bulk of his routine because he burned all his fuel 'holding' for the Tankers!
          The National Championship Air Races are an institution by its own right!
          This will just be a difficult (not impossible!) wrinkle to smooth out.

Long may we hear 'Horses', 'Bears' and 'Baked Treats/Gaseous Expulsions'
          running a tight line around Reno!!!!

Comment

Honest, I wasn't yelling at you... Just emphasizing the point that this is not the end of air racing. That was prompted by your "aren't wanted", "bad vibes", and "half empty" comments tickling my sense of "here we go again".

Yes, NCAR will have to adjust but I would be a lot more worried about the "Blues" having to interrupt their routine than I am about a short delay in starting a race to allow a tanker in. Heck, with two runways available I'm sure things can be orchestrated to accommodate both.

Comment

I am sure they can work it out.
              The news this morning is due to the argument that it may take a couple of minutes longer to get to the Tahoe area from here (and the Tahoe crowd have an unbelievable amount of political pull and a definate "us first mentality) the whole idea of cost cutting is thrown out the window and a proposal to build a NEW base at Carson City is on the table... Gotta love it!
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Not heavy, but present... Taken at PRS 2008
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bill@Interstell; 02-25-2009, 02:07 PM.
                Bill Garnett
                InterstellarDust
                Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell View Post
                  Not heavy, but present... Taken at PRS 2008
                  Well, I see a new AG class or Fire class in air racing
                  Hey wait...why not?

Comment

Ummm....And you could really "dust" the competition.

Comment

LMAO

Comment

Working...
                      X