500 mph lap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much better here in Reno Wayne!
    Over 100, thunderstorms, smoke from fires. It's fun to watch the rain dry as soon as it hits the ground!
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Metric System Birthday?

Happy, Happy Birthday Wayne. You are the Man! How old are you in metric terms? Use this site www.metricsucks.com for conversion(as well as conversations with Anders).

By the way, Little Rock was a balmy 82 degrees today, after hitting 100 last week. I will enjoy it while I can.

Poking some fun,

Clay LOL

P.S. Rare Bear by a big white spinner!
      Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

Re: Metric System Birthday?

Originally posted by claylemon
        Happy, Happy Birthday Wayne. You are the Man! How old are you in metric terms? Use this site www.metricsucks.com for conversion(as well as conversations with Anders).
        Well... thank you.. ... now, let's see.. if years were Fathoms, and we were converting to the metric scale.. I'd be, according to your conversaion page link.. and I quote the result here... "95098 finger-sniffing millimeters"....

There ya go...

Back from BALMY Vegas to the much more comfortable Pacific Northwest "Territory"...

Also, back bangin away at the keyboard.. let's see what good I can do now that I'm back and we have a few weeks left till Reno ey!

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

500 MPH

We have let this thread fall into metric system and birthdays.

I predict a 500MPH race on Sunday (Anders, you can convert that anyway you want). This will happen as long as we don't have a sandstorm like last year.

I think errrrrbody (Arkansas colloquialism) will be hiding thier speed until the last day.

Rare Bear lives! Long live Rare Bear!

Clay
          Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

My Money is on Skip to break 500 in September.

Matt J

Comment

Money?

Matt, your money would be very well spent on Skip. Dago Red certainly has the speed for 500mph. What happens if Skip pulls a 502 and John Penny pulls a 506? Do you still win?

This is going to be a great year to be at the races! I'll see you there.

Clay

P. S. My prayers and best wishes to the family and friends of Jim
              Wright. I saw the Hughes Racer last year and know that
              he must have been a helluvaguy to put so much time into
              a difficult project. Godspeed and Blue Skies!
              Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

What is the usual thinking about when to qualify? There are a few different scenarios that I can see happening. Anybody out help me with this?

1) Go for the record on Monday so that if you break you have more time to repair and try again.

2) Qualify at "reasonable" settings, and go for the record if conditions are right later in the week.

3) Wait and see what everybody else does and qualify when conditions are right, even if it is late on Wednesday.

I ask this because I can't get up to Reno til Wednesday. I will be bringing my parents and want to show them the fast guys in the air. I have been hyping the event to them for many years, and finally have gotten a commitment to go. What are the chances of seeing "gold qualifiers" in the air on Wednesday? Does anybody have a schedule for qualifying days, the RARA site doesn't list anything about qualifying. Due to other commitments, we are leaving after the Thursday show. As I remember, none of the gold qualifiers fly that day, except for a few that may be in the air before and after the show, can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks,
                Brewski
                Brewski

Comment

Qual schedule

Basically, there are 2 sessions per day per class for qualifying (the jets may only have one). Depending on class and day of the week, the sessions run 30 minutes to an hour or more. I think the order is IF1, Biplane, Sport, T6, Unlimited with the jets shoehorned in there somewhere. It is hard to guess when any particular aircraft will be up. Between waiting for good conditions, mechanical issues, etc., you never know when someone will decide to go up and qualify or just practice on the course (except for me , I try to get out in every session, as do most of the biplane/IF1 guys).

After qualifying, the unlimiteds have this bizarre ladder that lets the tops guys sit out the heats for a day or two. So, unfortunately, you probably won't see the top qualifiers racing on Thursday. I'll try to remember to dig out my entry packet tonight which has all of the details on the unlimited race progression.
                  Jeff Lo
                  Biplane race #13 "Miss Gianna"
                  Biplane race #6 "Miss Dianne"

Comment

Re: Qual schedule

Originally posted by FlyinLo
                    details on the unlimited race progression.
                    Does this really exsist, I thought it was some magical equation the genie in a bottle shows up with in the middle of the night. you can't figure it out from the stands.

and I have seen weekends that a top contender didn't fly until sunday.
                    ECVSteve
                    E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
                    Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

The top five unlimited qualifiers do not fly on Thursday.

Comment

Unlimited Class Progression

I scaned and OCR'ed Appendix A of the Official Rules of Competition, the Unlimited Class Progression. It is 4 pages, so I thought it best not to try to post it all on this board, so I saved it to an html file and posted it on my website. You can find it at http://flyin-lo.com/UnlimitedProgression.htm. Actually, it is not quite verbatim, I added days and races to the diagram to make it clearer (I think).
                        Jeff Lo
                        Biplane race #13 "Miss Gianna"
                        Biplane race #6 "Miss Dianne"

Comment

Jeff,

Nice piece of work. Explains a lot of little things that I did not understand, mainly, how many airplanes were in each race on a given day.

It also explained something that I did not know. When a Sunday Silver winner forfeits his/her position to race in the Gold, they also forfeit their prize money. Which always seemed like a pretty "risky" thing.. (no punn intended) but in the rules, that prize money becomes the last place prize money for the Gold race so, the person moving up to Gold would be guaranteed that money, as long as they started the race... at least this is the way I see it....

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Why are we even debating this?

I've been saying this for years....Skip ALREADY broke the 500 barrier 12 years ago.

But nobody wants to seem to believe me...and Skip's memory seems to have failed...but then again, whenever you try to get a straight answer out of him, you end up getting something else.

Pete Law was here in the shop today, and I was groussing to him about this. His direct comment: "Hell, Skip did it back in '91...and if they don't believe it, they can look at MY timing sheet". And then he proceeded to give me the technical dissertation on how and why. (something about optimal flow levels for the manifold pressure and boost he was running, and properly mixed ADI in the system and all that other BFM that makes Pete, "Pete".)

Considering Pete for who he is...and that he was working on the Tsunami crew at the time...I'd tend to believe it.

So all this hooey about 'who's gonna do it first' is merely fighting for the second place trophy. And if memory serves me correctly, THAT trophy is down in the ladies room.

Speed Demon

Comment

Re: Why are we even debating this?

Originally posted by speeddemon
                              So all this hooey about 'who's gonna do it first' is merely fighting for the second place trophy. And if memory serves me correctly, THAT trophy is down in the ladies room.
                              SD... the big thing here is "official".... if it's not on the official timing records, then it didn't happen.. at least as far as the "history" books are concerned...

Lots of stuff happens "unofficially"... gotta do it in front of the timers or when they are timing you to make it into the books..

Right or wrong, that's where the "braggin rights" are held...

Wayne
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X