Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beck-Mahoney Sorceress

Originally posted by Finn
    Are you sure about the unfinished Rivets? I had the pleasure to meet the late Bill Falck when he visited his native Finland about 35 years ago, and he told that all drawings and documents of the Falck Special (aka "Rivets") were destroyed in a fire very long time ago. Otherwise, obviously, I would be flying one now...

Smokey Stover of Chandler Arizona owned the unfinished Rivets for some years. He lost the ribs, or a number of them and that made the project too difficult for me (even if the whole of the wings had been there that would've been the case) so I passed on it after thinking it over for a year. It was eventually sold and I do not know to whom.

Comment

Tom summers had a similar design

Comment

With the current crop of Bipes going faster than Sorceress or Sundancer ever did it would be interesting to see those "Racing Bipe Class" planes make a comeback (if it would be possible to get them airworthy again)

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
          This one I guess, it did bear clear resemblance to the "Rivets", but obviously was a completely new design. I am still curious to get more details of the unfinished Rivets, any photos or info on its history??

I took this photo of Tom Summers' #35 "Sump'n Else" at Reno in 1986. The aircraft was originally designed by William Hansen as WH-1 "Thunderchicken" (registered N35WH) and completed about 1971, and was later modified by Tom Summers to the "Sump'n Else" form with registration N35TS.

OK, this is going a bit off-topic....
          Attached Files

Comment

Always thought that Don Fairbanks Imperial Knight Twister was one of the coolest biplanes ever. My model of his plane can be seen at

yes I know it was Orange but all the pictures from magazines I had of it showed it being red. The plane is 1/10 scale a control line model and fast and stable

Comment

Here's a shot of Don and his plane on the tarmac in 1988, their last year of competition.
              Attached Files
              "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
                Ahh yes, the orange w/black #35 "Sump'n else".
                Last edited by t-dub; 11-23-2008, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr
                  Sundancer was Midget Mustang derived, as was Cobra. Tom Aberle had a non-cabane racer derived from a Mong. There was Hot Canary, another non-cabane bipe, too. So with Sorceress and the Amsoil Racer that makes six.

Anyone remember more?
                  In photo #1, here is Tom Aberle's modified Mong Sport #31 "Long Gone Mong". Tom raced this plane in 1987-88. In 1989, Tom had renamed it "Wanna Play II" and the plane carried race #40. The plane didn't return to Reno until 1992, this time piloted by Patti Johnson, and renamed "Twerpster/Full Tilt Boogie". (see photo #2) She won the Gold race in '92-'94-'95 and '96. Notice that the T-tail configuration is gone in favor of a more conventional style. Also note that the canopy is now fully enclosed. In photo#3, Sam Maxwell ('89-'90) and Earl Allen ('91-'92-'93) flew this modified pitts "Legal Eagle". In photo#4, Jim Smith raced this modified (and one of my favorite) Mong sport "Glass Slipper" from '91-'93. Jim Smith jr. flew the plane from '94-'99. All of these planes flew around the 200 mph mark, and Patti actually set some class records in the Aberle modified Mong.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by t-dub; 11-23-2008, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer
                    The third is the Amsoil racer (Rutan design) built and flown by Dan Mortenson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMSOIL_Racer

Is there inflight footage of Amsoil racer ( like Quickie here ) ?

Is this the one ?

Last edited by First time Juke; 11-28-2008, 05:00 AM.
                    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
                      Yep, That's the one Juke. It used to hang in the pylon bar at the Reno Hilton before the bar closed. I think it later had wing struts added though. I can't remember. Might have been a class rule.
                      Last edited by t-dub; 11-28-2008, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub
                        In photo #1, here is Tom Aberle's modified Mong Sport #31 "Long Gone Mong". Tom raced this plane in 1987-88. In 1989, Tom had renamed it "Wanna Play II" and the plane carried race #40. The plane didn't return to Reno until 1992, this time piloted by Patti Johnson, and renamed "Twerpster/Full Tilt Boogie". (see photo #2) She won the Gold race in '92-'94-'95 and '96. Notice that the T-tail configuration is gone in favor of a more conventional style. Also note that the canopy is now fully enclosed.
                        Hey thanks for posting those pics of Full Tilt Boogie and Wanna' Play II! I just recently picked up Wendell Hostetlers plans for a .25 powered version which I've enlarged to a .40. I'll get to the build sometime in the next year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by uhhuh35
                          Hey thanks for posting those pics of Full Tilt Boogie and Wanna' Play II! I just recently picked up Wendell Hostetlers plans for a .25 powered version which I've enlarged to a .40. I'll get to the build sometime in the next year or so.
                          You're welcome! Hope you have fun building, and flying it!

Comment

Originally posted by uhhuh35
                            I have the big Hostetler Full Tilt Boogie kit from Precision Cut Kits along with all the glass parts to finish it up. It'll have a Fox 3.2 in it. It's well down the list on "things to build" but I hope to get to it before I die.

Up on the build board now is the Miss Ashley II that I'm going to cobble together from a Great Planes P-51 and Lear Jet kit. I have been working on it forever, hope to have it done soon. Wait until you see the Learjet with Mustang wing and tail that will be built from the leftover parts.

Don

Comment

What about Mini-Imp did it ever race in Reno ?

Very interesting especially with retracts.

------

Learfan 2100 has got a microversion too:

Last edited by First time Juke; 11-29-2008, 12:58 AM.
                              http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I found a video that tells biplanes are getting only 20 % more lift with extra wing ?

Biplanes look cool, but they have a story, they still exist today, and they are a curious flying piece of machinery. In this video I'll be showing a basic ex...

This cannot be right.

Comment

Working...
                                X