Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beck-Mahoney Sorceress

Default Re: Beck-Mahoney Sorceress

Oh boy! I forgot how sexy those sport bipes were.

My personal fave was Amsoil special, partialy because she just looked awsome, but because Dan and his parrents were/are just awsome people.

I count myself to be lucky, in the fact I have sat in all 3 of the sport bipes when I was younger. To a young boy that was just a dream come true.

Wolfee

What about Don Fairbanks and his Knight Twister. That was one of my favs.
    "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by stuntflyr
    I know there was an unfinished Rivets in Arizona that I saw, but I never heard of the second Sorceress.
    Are you sure about the unfinished Rivets? I had the pleasure to meet the late Bill Falck when he visited his native Finland about 35 years ago, and he told that all drawings and documents of the Falck Special (aka "Rivets") were destroyed in a fire very long time ago. Otherwise, obviously, I would be flying one now...

There have been some pretty innovative biplanes over the years, but the one off purpose built racers are the coolest.

Quote Originally Posted by t-dub
    What about Don Fairbanks and his Knight Twister. That was one of my favs.

Don just recently reclaimed it from the Motorsports Museum In Novi, MI. It is now back in Cincinatti.
    It is a very cool Knight Twister.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn
    Are you sure about the unfinished Rivets? I had the pleasure to meet the late Bill Falck when he visited his native Finland about 35 years ago, and he told that all drawings and documents of the Falck Special (aka "Rivets") were destroyed in a fire very long time ago. Otherwise, obviously, I would be flying one now...

Smokey Stover of Chandler Arizona owned the unfinished Rivets for some years. He lost the ribs, or a number of them and that made the project too difficult for me (even if the whole of the wings had been there that would've been the case) so I passed on it after thinking it over for a year. It was eventually sold and I do not know to whom.

Tom summers had a similar design

With the current crop of Bipes going faster than Sorceress or Sundancer ever did it would be interesting to see those "Racing Bipe Class" planes make a comeback (if it would be possible to get them airworthy again)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Aro
    Tom summers had a similar design
    This one I guess, it did bear clear resemblance to the "Rivets", but obviously was a completely new design. I am still curious to get more details of the unfinished Rivets, any photos or info on its history??

I took this photo of Tom Summers' #35 "Sump'n Else" at Reno in 1986. The aircraft was originally designed by William Hansen as WH-1 "Thunderchicken" (registered N35WH) and completed about 1971, and was later modified by Tom Summers to the "Sump'n Else" form with registration N35TS.

OK, this is going a bit off-topic....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hnsen_n35ts.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	12044  

Always thought that Don Fairbanks Imperial Knight Twister was one of the coolest biplanes ever. My model of his plane can be seen at
    http://model-engineering.net/airplane.html
    yes I know it was Orange but all the pictures from magazines I had of it showed it being red. The plane is 1/10 scale a control line model and fast and stable