Beck-Mahoney Sorceress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beck-Mahoney Sorceress

Fitted with only a single 135-horsepower Lycoming O-290-D2 engine, this unique metal staggerwing biplane flew to many victories during its distinguished career in the 1970s. Noted air racing pilot Don Beck purchased the Sorceress in 1972 and flew it to many more wins. Beck gave the aircraft to the Museum in 1984.

Any info of this available ?

Looks very fast.
    Last edited by First time Juke; 11-20-2008, 04:15 AM.
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Re: Beck-Mahoney Sorceress

And it was!!! Unfortunately, when they did away with the racing biplane class three purpose built racers had no place to go but the museum. Interesting how the sport biplane class has evolved with "purpose built" racers finding their way in within the rules.

Comment

3 ? , I remember the Sorceress and Doc Whites "Sundancer" but what are you saying is the third one was

Sorceress was originally built as a cross country plane with cantilevered wings (no struts )
      Last edited by blacksheep; 11-20-2008, 09:04 PM. Reason: history
      blacksheep
      Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Comment

in 1983 they had a racing class and i think it was a sport class

Comment

The third is the Amsoil racer (Rutan design) built and flown by Dan Mortenson.

Comment

Is this Sundancer on left top of this USRA page ?

Sundacer won 1980 and 1981

Comment

Sundancer was Midget Mustang derived, as was Cobra. Tom Aberle had a non-cabane racer derived from a Mong. There was Hot Canary, another non-cabane bipe, too. So with Sorceress and the Amsoil Racer that makes six.

Anyone remember more?

Comment

Here is Midget Mustang:

Hot Canary glimpse here:
                Last edited by First time Juke; 11-21-2008, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Wasn't there a second Sorceress built or partially built by Mahoney or someone else ? I never saw a photo of it so it maybe was never completed.

Comment

I know there was an unfinished Rivets in Arizona that I saw, but I never heard of the second Sorceress.

Comment

Oh boy! I forgot how sexy those sport bipes were.

My personal fave was Amsoil special, partialy because she just looked awsome, but because Dan and his parrents were/are just awsome people.

I count myself to be lucky, in the fact I have sat in all 3 of the sport bipes when I was younger. To a young boy that was just a dream come true.

Wolfee

Comment

What about Don Fairbanks and his Knight Twister. That was one of my favs.
                        "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr
                          I know there was an unfinished Rivets in Arizona that I saw, but I never heard of the second Sorceress.
                          Are you sure about the unfinished Rivets? I had the pleasure to meet the late Bill Falck when he visited his native Finland about 35 years ago, and he told that all drawings and documents of the Falck Special (aka "Rivets") were destroyed in a fire very long time ago. Otherwise, obviously, I would be flying one now...

Comment

There have been some pretty innovative biplanes over the years, but the one off purpose built racers are the coolest.

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub
                              What about Don Fairbanks and his Knight Twister. That was one of my favs.

Don just recently reclaimed it from the Motorsports Museum In Novi, MI. It is now back in Cincinatti.
                              It is a very cool Knight Twister.

Comment

Working...
                              X