Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunder Over Vegas finally released

You can buy it/download it for $10.
    I have already bought it and installed it, but haven't had any time to play it... just a quick free flight.

Essentially, it is the XAR game engine modified to support formation flying.
    The graphics are OpenGL/Glide just like XAR.
    The graphics of XAR looked dated when it was released and this looks little if any better.
    But if the gameplay is as good as XAR, it should be worth the $10.

Re: Thunder Over Vegas finally released

Nice Review Streakeagle...

Pat Hunt is a great guy, XAR was a hoot to fly! Something to think about is, his company is more into "reality" than graphic "game" with their fire bomber and other "actual" simulations that they have created over the years.

I'm afraid, though, that the lack of graphic sophistication that some have seen with Pat's releases (looked great to me) has overshadowed the extreme flight dynamics realism that his sims have presented. I was standing beside Lyle Shelton when he first flew Pat's XAR beta... Lyle was sort of critical at first.. noting that pylon 4 was not where it was supposed to be.. Last time Lyle had seen Pylon 4, it was "up the hill" a considerable distance. I mentioned to Lyle that the pylon had been moved and he said something like.. "oh yea.. then that's about right then"....

As he flew the course in the "virtual RareBear" racer, he went through a recital of what he'd be doing on the course at any given time. I remember that he said that this sim should be used by RARA for training...

So, if anyone wants to critique Pat's sims... read what I've said above..

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
      Nice Review Streakeagle...

Pat Hunt is a great guy, XAR was a hoot to fly! Something to think about is, his company is more into "reality" than graphic "game" with their fire bomber and other "actual" simulations that they have created over the years.

I'm afraid, though, that the lack of graphic sophistication that some have seen with Pat's releases (looked great to me) has overshadowed the extreme flight dynamics realism that his sims have presented. I was standing beside Lyle Shelton when he first flew Pat's XAR beta... Lyle was sort of critical at first.. noting that pylon 4 was not where it was supposed to be.. Last time Lyle had seen Pylon 4, it was "up the hill" a considerable distance. I mentioned to Lyle that the pylon had been moved and he said something like.. "oh yea.. then that's about right then"....

As he flew the course in the "virtual RareBear" racer, he went through a recital of what he'd be doing on the course at any given time. I remember that he said that this sim should be used by RARA for training...

So, if anyone wants to critique Pat's sims... read what I've said above..

I remember reading that article with Mr. Shelton. My kids and I still have a blast flying XAR. Where can one find the "Fire Bomber" sim? That could be a hoot too!
      "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk
        I remember reading that article with Mr. Shelton. My kids and I still have a blast flying XAR. Where can one find the "Fire Bomber" sim? That could be a hoot too!
        I, for one, would love it!

Go Pat!!

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

With the free addon terrain enhancement, the area looks pretty good.
          I have mainly done a handful of free flights to get a feel for the flight model and have also ran the "airshow" mode where you observe each of the Thunderbird maneuvers executed by the computer quickly spliced together (barely see the start and end of the maneuver before the next one is displayed).

Comment

Big disappointment as the game required online activation, which is no longer available. I haven't been able to play this game since I upgraded to Windows 7 a while back. As with Xtreme Air Racing, Silicon Studios (Victory Games) has disappeared from the internet again. They should have at least emailed all of their customers a patch to disable the online activation requirement.

Comment

Working...
            X