Blue skies, Doc!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue skies, Doc!

The plugs have been read, the screens are a go. J. Dwight Thorn, Da'Doc left the chocks this morning at home with no pain. He passed quickly and went off on his final journey. The Breeder of the Mouse. is at at rest. God bless him. Sorry to have to pass this along. Rose called me this morning and she is doing well, but had some close friends to call and did not want them to hear about this on the Net.

The DMI list is clear Doc. Have a good trip.
    John Slack
    John Slack

Re: Blue skies, Doc!

Blus skies indeed. We'll keep Rose and all his extended family in our prayers.

Comment

Dwight, farewell and fair weather on your final journey home.

For those of us who don't know much about Dwight, could you tell us more about him?
      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 11-05-2008, 08:55 PM.

Comment

He will be missed.
        Condolences to all who mourn him.
        Betty Sherman, Treasurer
        National Air racing Group

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta
          Dwight, farewell and fair weather on your final journey home.

For those of us who don't know much about Dwight, could you tell us more about him?
          I imagine in the next couple of days there will be some good stories about Da'Doc from many sources, right now I've had a little too much Port Zinfandel to fathom telling any stories. I'm speechless and sad.

I hope Steve Bartholff, Mikey Wilton, Kerch and Tige drop in and share a little with us. I talked with Dwight on Monday and we had a trip planned for later in the month. He was doing very well, and we talked about engine stuff. He was one of a kind and I was honored to work with him. My prayers are with Rose, If any of us could find the love and happiness they have we'd be fulfilled.
          Last edited by BellCobraIV; 11-05-2008, 09:19 PM.
          John Slack

Comment

Few people have brought this sport as far as he has.

Sad Day.

Every time I hear a wound out Merlin I know a little part of that sound is him.

Comment

They did throw away the mold when they made that man...

Blue Skies DOC!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

What a sad day for air racing. Reno will never be the same without him.
                My thoughts to the Thorn family.

Comment

Blue Skies, indeed, DWIGHT THORN - Merlin Wizard Extraordinaire!

Thanks for all your innovative skills that provided us so many air racing thrills & surprises over the years. You'll ALWAYS be- 'The Doc' & 'THA MAN' as far as v-engines & Mighty Mouse Mustangs go! (Thanks so very much for your treasured gift of friendship too!).

Here's a few photos of you at work to share in remembrance & celebration of your life at the races, Doc, & I wish I'd taken alot more, while I had the chance. (Bet you might even help a few angels fly faster 'Up There'!!!)

Don 'Bucky' Dawson

Photos - Reno NCAR - Top row (L-R):

1. Sat. 9/13/97: Doc, Tiger & Mike Wilton w/Strega in her pit after Heat-3A.

2. Wed. 9/14/88: Dr. Thorn inspects w/flashlight in hand during an all-niter with the Strega crew.

3. Wed. 9/13/00: Doc & John Slack monitor Race #7's engine from the right wing position during pre-shutdown runup, as the Unlimited Techs standby opposite.

4. Sat. 9/13/86: The Master at Work, in his favorite work duds at the races.

5. Thur. 9/16/99: Sunset engine test run w/'Tha Doc' keeping a close eye on Strega's Mighty Mouse Merlin Motor, w/crew backup.

Bottom row (L-R):

1. Mon. 9/21/87: A VERY proud Team Strega pose for crew portraits with their Unlimited Class- 'Fastest Qualifier' & Gold Championship Trophies, after notching a rare 'clean sweep' by winning all Gold race events at Reno '87. Front row includes engine builder-Dwight Thorn, far left, pilot/owner-Bill 'Tiger' Destefani at center, and crew chief-Bill Kerchenfaut at far right.

2. Sun. 9/20/87: 'The Three Amigos' - Bill Kerchenfaut, Tiger Destefani & Dwight Thorn, savoring the sweet taste of victory & a good bottle of the bubbly, in this B&W photo taken just after the Unlimited Championship final event.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I would also like to offer my prayers to Rose and the Thorn family....

Lynn

Comment

Tail winds and blue skies Doc...
                      Last edited by Sky Critter; 11-06-2008, 08:03 AM.
                      Sky Critter

Comment

Damn.....

He was one of the best..........

Blue Skies Doc....you will be missed

Comment

Very sad to hear of Doc's passing. The truth is he has enriched all of our lives and so many others by simply existing. He is and will forever be, the master of the performance Merlin. The mechanical symphony of the mighty Mouse may be silent now. But its song as well as Dwight will live on in our hearts and minds, forever.

Blue skies Doc, and a heartfelt "thanks" for all that you have done.
                          Last edited by W J Pearce; 11-06-2008, 12:10 PM.
                          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Prayers to Rose & family. Blue skies to Dwight. I will always remember him on his bike tooling the pits.
                            Lockheed Bob

Comment

damn.....

....just damn. He was a most entertaining guy....even after the stroke he tried....damn

Comment

Working...
                              X