No announcement yet.

Mike Brown retiring from Air Racing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mike Brown retiring from Air Racing?

Originally posted by paintboy
    Hey Rich,

Just out of curiosity, what makes you believe the motor in 232 was "STOLEN" from the Cornell project racer? September Fury has had four (4) different motors since the racer evolved, so which motor of those do you "think" was stolen from Cornell?

Dave
    Don't know if it was "stolen", but it was the first HOT engine Mike had.

Comment

here we go again....
      CFI/CFII/MEI
      www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
      www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by RichH
        Wouldn't it be something... if Rod Lewis were to buy 232 just to give back the engine that was stolen from Dave Cornell's pet project, now that he owns it?? Hmmmm...
        I don't know where you got that info, but it is incorrect and I don't believe you were involved in the transaction. I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye
          I don't know where you got that info, but it is incorrect and I don't believe you were involved in the transaction. I was there.
          Key word...................transaction.

Comment

Originally posted by King
            Key word...................transaction.
            Key Word... "FIGURE OF SPEECH"...

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Inverted
              here we go again....
              You can see it coming too??
              My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

remember that thread last month where somebody said: "one more blown motor and Mike is gone" Many of us thought that was crazy and it's hard to believe it was closer to the truth than we thought.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John H
                  remember that thread last month where somebody said: "one more blown motor and Mike is gone" Many of us thought that was crazy and it's hard to believe it was closer to the truth than we thought.

John

I've heard that he threatened to quit many times in the past, but never did. I wonder what made this time different?

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                    Key Word... "FIGURE OF SPEECH"...

EXACTLY... cripes people.

And from what I can tell... even though that motor has "blown" several times since, it's basic configuration hasn't changed much at all through 232's development cycle. And I would bet dollars to donuts that it still has the same nose case as when it was *purchased* from Matt Jackson...
                    Last edited by RichH; 10-23-2008, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude
                      I've heard that he threatened to quit many times in the past, but never did. I wonder what made this time different?
                      If there's a racing-related reason, I guarantee it's out there. I think I heard it but would be reckless to repeat it. From the way that hangar and house are decorated, you can sure tell Mr. Brown LOVES airplanes and loved racing at Reno.
                      _________
                      -Matt
                      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

I would guess that it is mainly economics. It's expensive fielding three unlimited aircraft!

Comment

Mike,
                          To you and your crew, THANK YOU wholeheartedly for the Time, Money, and Dedication that you all gave the sport. You are a great competitor, I hope you find the peace that great warriors deserve after the conquests are done. Cheers.
                          John Slack
                          John Slack

Comment

There could be any one of a hundred reasons why Mike Brown has decided enough is enough. He has certainly grumbled on past Sundays that he was threw with the air races, and only Mike knows the reason why now is the time. Everyone can speculate all they want, but instead of analyzing the what and why, how about we continue to give props for the efforts of Mike Brown, and the September Pops Team, as so many of you already have. For all the things Mike Brown may have been or not, he was showman who provided a much needed shot in the arm for the sport of air racing. I was fortunate to have been associated with the team from it's infancy, and Mike set out a goal and achieved it, which is a sight more than many who have tried before him have been able to accomplish. What we all should be concerned about is who or what is going to fill the huge hole now vacant in the Unlimited Class ramp. If it is also true that Howard Pardue has also retired, then what of the Texas contingent? There could be a lot of holes on the ramp next year. The future of air racing at Reno is what concerns me right now, and although the end may not come tomorrow, we should all be concerned about the future of this sport. Stepping down from soap box now.

Dave

Comment

Any chance he will chime in for an official word?
                              CFI/CFII/MEI
                              www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com

Comment

Originally posted by paintboy
                                The future of air racing at Reno is what concerns me right now, and although the end may not come tomorrow, we should all be concerned about the future of this sport. Stepping down from soap box now.

Dave

Thats exactly why I said there goes the 09 season. I think the future of Unlimited air racing is scary.
                                CFI/CFII/MEI
                                www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com

Comment

Working...
                                X