Mike Brown retiring from Air Racing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Brown retiring from Air Racing?

I'm hearing this persistant rumor that Mike Brown is quitting racing at Reno and selling his 3 racers, as well as everything at EaglesNest.

Any validity to this and if so, for what reasons?

If true, it would be a huge loss for the racing community! The thought of not seeing the Tigercat round the pylons would make me very sad!

Comments anyone?

Re: Mike Brown retiring from Air Racing?

I've also heard something about this. On Monday after the races, a couple of crew chiefs were overheard talking. And the conversation was said to have been about MB not returning to race. Granted this is nothing that I can confirm, it's too early in the morning to call. But I'll call a few people that I know today and see what they have to say on the matter. In the meantime I'll be shaking down my furniture, friends, and strangers for loose change...

LP
    Last edited by MMPerk; 10-19-2008, 07:44 AM.

Comment

I saw MB at Eagles Nest yesterday and he confirmed EVERYTHING is for sale
      including his property and hangar at EN. I also heard from a realiable source that 911 has already been sold!

Stay tuned.

Comment

wow
        CFI/CFII/MEI
        www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
        www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Say it isn't so.............
          Matt
          Super Genius Rocket Scientist
          NCAR Rocks!!!

Comment

W.T.F.?????????????????

I know he doesn't like to lose but come on...

I guess all the exciting news had to come with some disappointing stuff as well....

Comment

sounds like major life-changing events
              Biplane Race #3

Comment

Wow, he must have accomplished what he wanted. Guess that means there's one hell of a crew looking for a plane to take care of!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by p51dplt
                  I saw MB at Eagles Nest yesterday and he confirmed EVERYTHING is for sale
                  including his property and hangar at EN. I also heard from a realiable source that 911 has already been sold!

Stay tuned.
                  Can you say why he might be doing this? Is it for personal reasons, or is there some other motivation? It just seems strange to just "up and leave" when you have so much potential.

Comment

Man if that's true it sucks so much
                    Last edited by RCoulter; 10-19-2008, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Man, what a bummer!

Unless someone buys the fleet and continues to race 'em, the radial brigade is gonna take a hit.

Good luck to MB in his future endeavors. It was a pleasure to have him in the sport!

Tommy

Comment

A few comments have been posted on the net that echo my sentiments and hats off to those looking at the big picture in all of this.

Mike Brown did something that as far as I know is unheard of at Reno. Aside from running in the unlimited class for 10+ years, he campaigned three airplanes simultaneously for much of that. He spent a lot of money, flew his airplanes hard, has a lot of broken parts to show for it, and certainly put on a show. Heck, he won the Gold in 2006 and joined the elite ranks. For that reason, I don't think that the fans, crew, etc should be anything but appreciative. As far as the reasoning to sell, that's Mike's reasoning and it's his decision, just like any owners. We should all respect that, for whatever it may be. 10 years is a darn good run if you ask me.

I'm certainly proud of having been given the opportunity to be a part of the 232 crew for several years. Everyone on the crew, including myself, have many wonderful memories to look back upon.

Michael Luvara
                        Last edited by Mluvara; 10-19-2008, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Hmmmmm.....There is a saying that goes something like, "Everything is for sale for the right price." I only know Mike Brown a little so I can't speak for him, but if I owned and flew one of the four flying Tigercats (not to mention the best of the four), would I let that treasure go? Not hardly. However, if the rumor is true, where will the crew migrate to? Strega? Dago? Some split back to the Bear? The truths come out in September.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ken from PG
                            The truths come out in September.
                            I got a feeling it's gonna be a loooooooong offseason.
                            _________
                            -Matt
                            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

I am so sorry to read this bummer stuff. If it is true it's sad and shocking news for air racing. I so looked forward to seeing and hearing Mike Browns fleet at Reno every year. It seems like the Unlimited class is falling apart. Several long time war birds have dropped out in the last few years. I guess the ecomony and expense of running those big guys can be smothering at times. I too wish Mike the best and thank him for all the excitement he has provided over the years, and sharing his gorgous airplanes with us. I guess I can't expect to see a pair of 3350's on that Tiger cat anytime soon.
                              Thanks again Mr. Brown

Solo (Cloudchaser )

Comment

Working...
                              X