#77 Gear wont go down!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #77 Gear wont go down!!!

I would seriously doubt that any of the pilots are going to "retire". Tiger been saying it for over ten years that I know of. Now that he has gotten back in the winners circle he may just change his mind again. Lyle Shelton didn't quit flying untill he had too, after lots of close calls over the years. There is no one on this board that is qualified to speculate on someones retirement, unless they can read their mind a split second before the decision is made.

As far as bragging up or tearing down our race pilots, lets just stop it. It is very childish and I would be embarrassed if some of the mentioned flyers were to read these know it all posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstickdan
      I'm really questioning all these comments about Mr. Penney retiring from racing Rare Bear after this past week events. I don't think Mr. Penney was forced to race the Bear and I'm sure he, like all the other race pilots, accept the risks that go along with the job. For a year now many of us looked forward to the races again and especially seeing the Bear on the course and I don't remember seeing any comments that Mr. Penney should retire from this plane then.

We have watched the Bear through good and bad. Lyle Shelton had his share of Maydays with it and I don't recall these similar comments that he should retire. There's a lot of negative vibes goin' on here and I just don't get it.

I look forward to seeing Rare bear back in the air and I hope Mr. Penney is able to accomplish the goals he has in mind.

I don't believe anyone thinks he should retire, but after the Bear did her best to kill him three out of the last four times he flew her, nobody would blame him. I bet he's back next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Inverted
        But your comments about how Skip would handle a mayday sound right on with his personality. And thats not a flattering thing to say in my opinion.
        Thats all I'm saying...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve H
          As far as bragging up or tearing down our race pilots, lets just stop it. It is very childish and I would be embarrassed if some of the mentioned flyers were to read these know it all posts.
          Amen! John Penney is a member (beardriver) here and reads most of the posts...

I'm sure, as he always does, he'll have a first person report of his week (much longer actually) at RENO 2008.

I'm not going to insult anyone... or at least, I'll try not to, but some of the speculation and opinions expressed here is nothing short of ridiculous. What I mean to say is HOW can you know what went on within that crew or any other for that matter. I'm fairly close to many of the team and I didn't know much of what was going on.

To think they would risk their pilot's life is just wrong!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I never said he would, nor do I want him to. I just thought his tone was different this year. Maybe just mad at the bad luck and the team had which is understandable.
            CFI/CFII/MEI
            www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
            www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

I sure hope he does! I would LOVE to hear about the past weeks events from the horse's mouth. I was there. I heard a LOT of things. I saw a LOT of things. Only Mr. Penney knows the facts.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

another photo of the gear
                Attached Files

Comment

Glad to hear it all worked out in the end...
                  Just point me at the wide blue yonder....

Comment

Did you read that before you hit "submit reply"?

That is hands down the dumbest thing I have ever read on this site.
                    Last edited by dineega; 09-16-2008, 02:50 PM. Reason: Removed previous posters' quote

Comment

Originally posted by Steve H
                      Did you read that before you hit "submit reply"?

That is hands down the dumbest thing I have ever read on this site.

NO KIDDING!!!

If Mr. Penney did not have confidence in the plane and crew he would never step a foot in the cockpit.

And at that rate the crew would never let Mr. Penney into the cockpit if they felt their was an issue that could cause him harm.

These are professionals people!

Comment

After watching and hearing the way he handled the emergencies the past two years, there is no doubt in my mind. John Penny is the most qualified guy on the planet to fly Rare Bear. And a true class act. Lyle Shelton chose his successor well.

Let's hope he pushes this years bad luck aside and shows us the planes's true potential in the years to come!

Comment

Yeah, he's only been flying it for 23 years.

Comment

Of course, John Penney surely will not remember me, but nevertheless I want to share this pic because each day I feel more proud of having met him in Reno 94. Great person and best pilot
                            Attached Files

Comment

skip actually did fly the bear, '94 or '95, at the paso robles airshow.

Comment

Having the wonderful fortune of being part of the (Team Family) working with Mr. Shelton, Mr. Penny, Mr. Slack, Mr. Shaw, and the rest of the guys on the Rare Bear in the late 80's thru the early 90's, I can tell y'all this.

John Penny "IS" a great pilot, and a wonderful guy, as is Lyle and everyone else that has worked, or is working with that plane.

Everyone envolved with that plane no matter what the job may be, becomes part of her.

Our crew did back then, and I'm sure the crew wroking her now has also.

Although I have not talked to Mr. Penny for a long time, I can see from the pictures, that he is very much in touch with that airplane.

I was there in 1992, standing on top of the Team Trailer for the gold race with John Slack, and Carl Shutty, & Bill Noctor watching as the engine let go.

There's a feeling you get, it's really a mix of feelings. I'm sure that's what you hear in Mr. Penny's voice.

He's safe, She's safe, and there is always next year.

I think the whole crew did a wonderful job.

Back in the day...I saw the work that John, Greg, and Mel put into that plane pulling an all nighter to change jugs or even the entire engine so she could fly the next day for all the fans to see.

I'm sure this crew has been doing the same....It's the nature of the beast!

To a Happy and Safe 2009.....

Good Luck to all.

+Page Butler+
                                Last edited by Heysdad; 09-19-2008, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X