Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #77 Gear wont go down!!!

Originally posted by AlisoBob
    Wayne, take this in the sprit that is intended......

Skip has a larger than life, indestructable persona. The truth is that he's flesh and blood like all the Reno pilots.

Mr. Penny is a professional pilot, who owes his life to his ability to stay calm and work out several issues in a short amount of time.

The humor is in how I suggested Skip would have done it.... "His way...."
    I'm sorry Bob, but your wit falls flat with me too.

Steve H

Comment

Over the years we have seen MANY great pilots. Some of them have built great legends due to the nature of their most visible exploits. Some have worked in the background dealing with just as serious issues without the glory. Some make it just look too easy. I have had the honor and privilege over those years to meet many, and know several. I know they are all people, with special skill sets that I certainly do not posess. My hat is off to EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.
      It was great this year to see some of the world's greatest piloting talent do their thing.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Steve H
        I'm sorry Bob, but your wit falls flat with me too.

Steve H
        Then I guess you dont know much about Skip Holm

He once had to decide if he was going to dead stick Tsunami onto the freeway with the car traffic, or go against it. While he was deciding, the engine came back on line long enough to just make the runway.

I am told he never even broke a sweat, just dealt with it.

Skip has a way of always bringing it, back down, his way.

I still think he would have snap rolled it ( ) and that takes nothing away from John Penny.
        Last edited by AlisoBob; 09-15-2008, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I guess you don't know that both of them went to the same Air Force Test Pilot School.
          That snap roll is a nice fantasy

Comment

Ah..... what part of J/K dont you understand?

Comment

Originally posted by Inverted
              ....I can't imagine johns family if they could hear the dialog during his maydays. ...... I could see john stepping down after this year.
              I interviewed John's lovely wife in the Bear Cave over the week, she is so confident in her hubby that she told me she never worries about him.. Important to remember, she was his wife during the entire time he was in combat in Vietnam...

As for John stepping down, he a very talented and educated pilot... extremely calculating and in control individual. He has some very specific goals racing the Bear and I can not envision him stepping down any time soon.

Go TIGER Go PENNEY Go ALL!!

What a week!!

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                I interviewed John's lovely wife in the Bear Cave over the week, she is so confident in her hubby that she told me she never worries about him.. Important to remember, she was his wife during the entire time he was in combat in Vietnam...

As for John stepping down, he a very talented and educated pilot... extremely calculating and in control individual. He has some very specific goals racing the Bear and I can not envision him stepping down any time soon.

Go TIGER Go PENNEY Go ALL!!

What a week!!

I happened to be sitting just a few feet from Mrs. Penney during Bears mayday. She did not look worried at all. Just sitting and holding a young girl that I assume was her grandaughter, very calm.

Just another day at the races.

Comment

You play any game long enough, and your number is going to hit.

I would switch to a game with better odds.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                    ...he's a very talented and educated pilot... extremely calculating and in control individual. He has some very specific goals racing the ( plane) and I can not envision him stepping down any time soon.
                    The EXACT same words were said about Rick Brickert, another " May-day" intensive aircraft.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I talked to John this morning at the Bear Cave, and he explained that he had never had an engine do what the Bear's engine did yesterday. Same with the gear problem. In one weeks time the Bear threw a couple of new curves at its handler, and he handled them both.

Also, no carnage, the engine looked remarkably intact, but it is seized. There was also metal in the oil that came out of it, I do have pictures from this morning, so look for them soon. John made no indication of an impending retirement from being the 'Bear Driver'.

LP

Comment

I'm really questioning all these comments about Mr. Penney retiring from racing Rare Bear after this past week events. I don't think Mr. Penney was forced to race the Bear and I'm sure he, like all the other race pilots, accept the risks that go along with the job. For a year now many of us looked forward to the races again and especially seeing the Bear on the course and I don't remember seeing any comments that Mr. Penney should retire from this plane then.

We have watched the Bear through good and bad. Lyle Shelton had his share of Maydays with it and I don't recall these similar comments that he should retire. There's a lot of negative vibes goin' on here and I just don't get it.

I look forward to seeing Rare bear back in the air and I hope Mr. Penney is able to accomplish the goals he has in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by AlisoBob
                          Then I guess you dont know much about Skip Holm

He once had to decide if he was going to dead stick Tsunami onto the freeway with the car traffic, or go against it. While he was deciding, the engine came back on line long enough to just make the runway.

I am told he never even broke a sweat, just dealt with it.

Skip has a way of always bringing it, back down, his way.

I still think he would have snap rolled it ( ) and that takes nothing away from John Penny.

You know,

I appreciate your love for Skip Holm. He is an amazing pilot nobody will ever challenge that comment. But there is one problem... He knows hes good. I have never met such a cocky pilot. Pilots that I know that have raced with him and that have done some other flying related work have some very colorful stories about him. I met him some years back when he was doing some formation work for some movie work. He was horribly rude and cocky. Its not the Maverick type of cocky, he is just rude at times.

I think its pretty weird of you to put Skip in Bear and say "well Skip would do it this way." You have no idea how Skip would handle a mayday in bear because first of all hes never flown Bear and second every situation is handled differently. No mayday is routine. But your comments about how Skip would handle a mayday sound right on with his personality. And thats not a flattering thing to say in my opinion.
                          CFI/CFII/MEI
                          www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                          www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk
                            John made no indication of an impending retirement from being the 'Bear Driver'.

LP

Dont get me wrong I am not saying he would. But his tone over the radio seemed different this year. I dunno maybe its just me. John has the love for it thats for sure. Its most important to have the people closest to you back you up 100% which it sounds like he does. This year made me question Reno's future, more than last year oddly enough and I think last year was one of the worst in the venue's history.
                            CFI/CFII/MEI
                            www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ron101502
                              IMHO there are no better pilots in racing than John Penney. Period.

Ron Henning
                              Ex USAF F-4, OV-10
                              Ex BD-5J Airshow pilot
                              747-400 captain Northwest Airlines
                              flying for a living 41 years

Just my opinion
                              Well said Ron. You know what you are talking about. One more point. Steve Hinton is the best guardian angel pilot out there and a pretty damn good race pilot in his day! Just my two cents. Forgot to give Matt Jackson some credit also. All three were very busy and very professional!

Frank C.
                              Last edited by Frank C.; 09-15-2008, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I think Steve burned in his spot as permanent Pace for the unlimiteds. He knows the most intimate secrets of every single aircraft in that field.
                                CFI/CFII/MEI
                                www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com

Comment

Working...
                                X