Military History - USS Hornet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military History - USS Hornet

Just saw something on TV that everyone at this site should know about. The Hornet is now a museum, they are doing tours and you can even sleep over for $50!! Now that would be an experience!! (A 400 person sleep over - yikes !!)
    Here's the link so you can explore for yourselves, www.uss-hornet.org This seems like something to support and what a great experience for youngsters. They showed a Boy Scout troupe and they were really enjoying it. Some days they have the whole ship operational and there are docents who served aboard so they would have great stories. It said they need to raise $100k in a few weeks or it might have to go away - that would be a shame.
    Enjoy!
    Firecat:

sleepover

I spent a week on a dependents cruise aboard USS Ranger. I would'nt trade the experience for anything. The one thing it was not however, was a comfortable place to sleep! Kinda like a curtained coffin. You Navy guys get used to it, but for a civvie...
    What a neat idea and a great cause!
    BTW the hulk of the USS Oriskany is slowly returning to nature in Vallejo tied up at the old Mare Island shipyard.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Re: Military History - USS Hornet

Originally posted by Firecat
      Just saw something on TV that everyone at this site should know about. The Hornet is now a museum, they are doing tours and you can even sleep over for $50!!
      Firecat:

They do similar things with the USS Lexington down in Corpus Christi. Once when I was going through, several hundred cub scouts were preparing to set up sleeping bags on the hangar deck!

The USS LEXINGTON, CV-16, is a World War II-vintage Essex Class aircraft carrier that's been turned into a museum, delighting visitors of all ages.

Comment

Working...
      X