Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMAC story?

Default OMAC story?

I've been unsuccessfully researching the OMAC-1 (Laser 300?), a turboprop, high-wing, canard, pusher prototype that was made in Stead, Nevada at the former OMAC (OLD MAN AIRCRAFT COMPANY), but I cannot seem to find anything about it on the web.

I use to follow it's development in airplane magazines in the 80's, and recall some faint, cloudy details (that may or may not be true), like the main gear collapsing on a test run or hard landing, the company running out of cash and eventually folding, and even the building it was once located in burning down, but was the full story of the man, the company and the plane ever written down anywhere?

I'm sure there's a fascinating story behind it.

The only stand-alone photo I've found via Google is a rubber-band model.

The only article I can find is this small one from '88, with photo:
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%203102.html

Any insights, please?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OMAC-1_model.jpg 
Views:	765 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	11072  
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-05-2008 at 10:56 AM.

Default Re: OMAC story?

Cool looking plane.
    Cheers

The fuselage used to sit in the fenced-in bone yard on the East end of the parking lot.
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Peashooter
    The fuselage used to sit in the fenced-in bone yard on the East end of the parking lot.
    Last I saw it, (fuse only) it was in the parking lot 8 years ago.

I remember seeing it a few times while running launch and recovery for the gliders at stead. But I cannot fill you in on any credible info.

Sorry paint.

wolfee

All I know of it is it was metal vs. composite, was damafged like you said and sat next to the campground for a few years. There were articles in Air Progress back in the day, ya might try there. I no longer have those back issues.

OK. Thx all. The only stuff I found was some reports of canard wind tunnel experiments done with it by NASA, possibly after the company collapsed (as was done with one airframe from LearFan).

now you are going to make me dig in all those boxes in the garage. somewhere i have pictures i took of it on its first flight. it could take a few days to find but i should be able to find at least one picture for you.
    bob burns
    ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
    "dont mess with texas"

If it hasnt been updated. Google earth it. You used to be able to see it.

I have some original prints somewhere

I was fortunate enough to be part of the OMAC team many years ago. Mr. Larry Hueberger was the designer. I personally carry a lot of respect for Mr. Hueberger's knowledge and contributions to the aviation industry. Mr. Carl Parrise (sp?) was financial backer, Parrise also owned Thermax steam cleaners. Thermax's building is the one that burnt down and the fire was before OMAC began. OMAC occupied a building on the same property, though. We did have to knock a wall down to get the plane out. There was approx. twenty fabricators (I was one), eight draftsmen, and ten managment personnel.

The main gear collapsed on landing after test pilot and copilot (had feet on instr. panel pushing) fought to keep aircraft aloft (elevator trim hooked up backwards ) fuesalage was rebuilt and testing continued.

OMAC moved to Georgia said for lower cost of manufacturing. Never made it because of financial problems. Years later airplane was purchased for scrap by Avaition Classics. Sat next to hanger for a couple of years. It was hard to see it like that. But it was quite the experience to be part of something from the ground up, and actually see it fly.