Color Tile racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Tile racer

A few years back, one the most awesome races I ever saw, and I mean up really close, on the back straght (Valley of Speed), was a race of mostly P-51's led by the Color Tile plane....

It was really wild when the engine expired on the next to last lap....

I'v got a wonderful video of it, that I'd like to digitize some day...

Does anybody have any info on the plane or the pilot.>>>???

Stiletto

That would be Stiletto.

MattB

Comment

Skip???

I think Skip Holm was the pilot for it...but I am not sure...anyone???

G

Comment

Skip flew it a few times. It is now called Diamond Back. Matt Jackson flew it as well I think.

MattB

Comment

SKIP WAS THE PILOT IN THE EARLY YEARS, THEN THE A/C WAS

ENTERED

BY SHERMAN AIRCRAFT SALES FOR TWO YEARS I THINK.

AND ONE OF DENNY'S SONS FLEW IT. SCOTT ??

MATT FLEW THE A/C ONE YEAR AT RENO. WITH THE BOIL-OFF

COOLING SYSTEM. I THOUGHT IT LOOKED VERY PROMISING.

SHAME THE A/C WAS CONVERTED TO A TF-51 AFTER THAT.

DA DOC

P.S. THE A/C WAS A DAVID Z. CREATION AND HAD MANY

VERY INOVATIVE FEATURES

Comment

Stiletto / Colortile

I believe Skip Holm was the only race pilot for Race #84 Stiletto with Colortile sponsor. Logos evident during it's partly bare-aluminum '84-'85 first outings and immediately afterward as all-white ship with big Colortile logos. Sherman & Jackson eras did not have big Colortile logos. I'd sure love to have a copy of that video of yours if it ever becomes available. I shot stills of Stiletto in '84-85 from Valley of Speed and got some dandies. DBD

Comment

BUTTERKNIFE

I remember the unlimited pilot fraternity referring to Stletto as "Butterknife" when it did not live up to expectations.

Comment

Re: Thanks...that is what I thought

Originally posted by BuckyD
                I believe Skip Holm was the only race pilot for Race #84 Stiletto with Colortile sponsor...
                Thanks...that is what I thought. Being specific as they were about it in the "Color Tile" scheme (I used to work for Color Tile...so it caught my attention), I thought that was where they were going.

Thanks for confirming that for me.

G

Comment

Re: BUTTERKNIFE

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  I remember the unlimited pilot fraternity referring to Stletto as "Butterknife" when it did not live up to expectations.
                  That was always Stiletto's nickname, but I don't understand your post... You said, "When it did not live up to expectations..."

It was a National Champion, but certain people associated with the aircraft never "followed the directions" when they went to the boil off cooling system. Matt Jackson finally did just that, and the system worked to a "T." (Or should I say "C" for "cooling?")

Scotty G
                  Scotty G

Comment

the plane was dubbed 'butterknife' after they converted it back to a TF-51. and for the record (and I know this from personal experience), alan preston HATES that nickname

Comment

I remember seeing a photo somewhere of the "swiss-cheese" main gear doors that stiletto had. I believe that Stiletto was one of the lightest, if not the lightest mustangs around as Dave Zeuschel trimmed quite a few lbs off of the racer in the search for speed.

I also recall that someone (Matt J?) posted somewhere awhile back that in reality, very few parts were used (main spar, dataplate, etc) when they converted it back to stock with most parts going to the recyclers!

Michael

Comment

Recyclers?

In the words of a short green man.....

"Ah... There is another!"

You might be surprised what is hanging around in a hangar somewhere...

Scotty G
                        Scotty G

Comment

Working...
                        X