Shoestring racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shoestring racers

reading these got me thinking about my shoestring does anyone know where it is now
    dave
    Attached Files
    www.davemorss.com

Comment

I think Gary Davis has it they had it all redone but there was an issue with the wing

Comment

talk with these guys about running her next year, well see how it goes
        Last edited by f1-69; 01-20-2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
          talk with these guys about running her next year, well see how it goes
          Snoshoo! Would love to see that one go. Does it still look like that or has it been painted?
          Red
          chanting...400+

Comment

AiRick, I can not tell in the photo whether that is me or not. I don't remember ever wearing a ball cap very much as a youth. So you fly 757s? I am envious. I own and fly an ACA 8GCBC Scout out of Fox Field, Lancaster, CA. I have attended Reno Air Races '65, '72-'74 and every race since '82 except for '98, '01, and '11. I worked for thirty years at Lockheed Advanced Development Projects as a Structures Engineer and then did four years after retirement at Northop, AF Plant 42 site 3. I did consulting on engine mount structure on two Reno Sea Furys, Critical Mass and September Fury. Currently I have worked to strengthen the wing on the Reno Unlimited racer Czech Mate, a Yak 11 with a R2800 over at Shafter (Minter Field, KMIT, stable mate to Strega). In the photo of the Shoestring on the trailer appears to me in preparation for the first trip back to Cleveland in '49. The two boys could be me and my brother, but I am not sure. I can remember them building a new trailer in the hangar for the trip back in '51 (I think) when on the return home a farmer in Kansas pulled a U-turn in front of them resulting in the distruction of my dad's '51 Merc. I know Jonesy and your uncle Carl had a maintenance/Navion Sales business at Van Nuys airport called Neo-Aire which one can see on the tail of Shoestring in later photos. All this conversation brings back many memories.

Comment

That is so cool I hope my kids can look back on our Reno adventures the same way, mine only come to shoot the tshirt cannon

Comment

Originally posted by bkreimen View Post
                I know Jonesy and your uncle Carl had a maintenance/Navion Sales business at Van Nuys airport called Neo-Aire
                Sounds like you did follow you father in engineering, thats cool.I would never had gotten into flying if it wasn't for my father.He made me promise no air racing! He said he lost to many friends doing that. I have not missed a Reno event in the last 20 years.
                Attached Files

Comment

AiRick, that is such a great photo of Neo Air. My brother and I spent many hours in that hangar. They had two cockpits from four engine airplanes of some sort that were used to make movies. My brother would get in one and me in the other and make airplane noises and have great fun. The hangar is still at Van Nuys currently near the newer tower. I plan to fly down there in the not to distant future to just hang out around the hangar. They now tie down airplanes on the lawn I'd sit on and watch the p-51s. Thanks for the photos, good childhood memories.

Comment

Working...
                  X