Shoestring racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shoestring racers

That's interesting about Loki (or Ward) - he told me yesterday that: "Last we heard Loki was in someones backyard in Tx. being rebuilt. I don't know where." They can't both be right, he and Scott need to talk!

Bill

Comment

If you find out where in Texas it is, let me know and I will see what info I can find if it is near where I am.

Comment

Bill-
        It could have been I misunderstood, (all those DAMN noisy little airplanes), but that's what I thought, he said...

Paul

Comment

Hi,
          I had "Loki/Slapshot" in my back yard in San Marcos Texas for several years. Very cool plane. Before we started Nemesis we actually started thinking about fixing it up, but that metal thing and I... Anyway it went to "Panet Houston" about 1988-89. We had gotten it from the "Warden" Garland. The fuselage was in great shape, and very intact. As a matter of fact I still see a couple of the wing attach fittings kicking around the Neme-hangar to this day. Cool parts, still think I'll use them for something someday... So far they have made good drawing holder-downers. I'll see if I can dig up where the plane is now, as it was down in the Bruce Bohannon area, before Hoot Gibson moved to Tennessee. So if I had to guess it would be hanging in a hanger in "Planet Houston".
          Cheers,
          Jon

Comment

Randy,
            If you need some Shoestring Drawing Illustrations, I can send you some. I have done a few and plan on doing more. I can send you some copies If you would like them. What do you prefer color or Black and White. Pen and Ink or Pencil, Paint etc. (Type of Medium)

Mark G.Ehlers
            1201 W. Pearl Apt. A-9
            Granbury Tx 76048
            (817) 579-7625
            Mark G. Ehlers

Comment

Hey Mark, Anything would be great- Looking forward to seeing your work! RG
              Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
              RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Hey Randy,

Do you have a set of "Racing Planes and Air Races", the series by Reed Kinert and Dusty Carter? The last two have 3-views I did, including #93 Top Turkey in the '76 Annual.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillRo
                  Hey Randy,

Do you have a set of "Racing Planes and Air Races", the series by Reed Kinert and Dusty Carter?
                  Isn't that kind of like asking Tiger Woods if he has a set of clubs? :-)

Comment

Hey Apteryx, my Dad was Munro L. Lyeth AKA Chip Lyeth. I would guess the reason for NoBigThing time resting in the barn was my dad had other things and interest goning on. He moved here to Sonoma County and started a winery with his Dad. He still flew his Super Decathlon performing aerobatics over Sonoma County becoming quite good at it when he had time between raising 5 kids, working in the winery, or vineyard. My Mom has also told me that he was tired of hanger fees and decided to build his own dirt strip on the ranch, but he never had the chance to finish it.
                    Skip ahead to June 6 1988 our church had a event at our lake and he wanted to perform for everyone and as he was pulling out to head to the local airport I ran to the car asking if I could go with him abd I was told no. Next I remember sitting at the edge of the lake as eveyone watched his Super Decathlon pull up to late from a dive. The fuselage impacted followed by it exploding. The plane was in perfect working order so it was ruled that the crash was caused a ear infection with meds caused him to lose sense of his equilibrium.
                    I'd heard of my Dads good friend (I think his name was Mike or Mark) and mechanic to NoBigThing. I asked my Mom if she had a phone number or mailing address wanting to ask him about his experience with my dad and working on NoBigThing. He was so happy his good friends son had gotten a hold of him to talk of the good times. He also invited my mom and I to sailing with him and his wife on the S.F. bay. Sadly this never happened because I had to go to a school in Texas. Unfortunately he passed away hitting power lines while crop dusting while I was still in Texas. When I got home my Mom told me that his wife had called her asking if I would like something. She pulled out a package I opened it and pulled out the nearly complete original blueprints of NoBigThing also either at storage or my Moms house are pictures of my Dad and his friends building NoBigThing.

Comment

My Dad on the left and his Mechanic on the right pause for a moment with the plane they built NoBigThing.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Randy when are gonna get that thing over here and get it flyin

Comment

Thanks DB,
                          Never heard what happened, sad when I heard the news, only met him briefly, but he seemed like a good guy.
                          I guess his friend was the motorcycle mechanic, that helped build the plane. You could see the learning curve in the welding as they went along.
                          Thanks for the info, hope the family is doing well.

Paul

Comment

I found this old post and have posted these photos before but in case someone is interested......
                            Attached Files

Comment

More:
                              Attached Files

Comment

some more:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X