Shoestring racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoestring racers

I am trying to compile a history of the "Shoestring" Goodyear (now IF1) class racers. The original "Shoestring" was the "Mercury Air Special" N26C #16, designed by Rodney Kreimendahl-and built by the Ast brothers, Carl and Vincent.
    This aircraft later had MUCH success as N16V, #16 with Ray Cote.

If you have any pictures, stories, comments etc. regarding the "Shoestring" racers, please contact me at: randygoss75@aol.com Thank you, All the best, Randy Goss

Any "Shoestring" fans out there??
    Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
    RIP 03/17/10

Shoestrig Racers

Hi Randy -- Sorry about not answering your email yet ... Still want to do the article on your Dad.

I am very fond of Shoestrings too.

Neal
    Attached Files

Comment

"Shoestring" IF1 History

Hey Gang, I am still VERY interested in doing the "Shoestring" history.

I would like to chronicle each and every airplane that has flown, racer or fun flyer- and document all the projects that are under construction.

Please email me ANY info or photos you may have to assist my research.
      I will give full credit for all photos or stories used.

Thanks, Randy Goss

randygoss75@aol.com
      RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Re: Shoestring racers

Hey Sweet Thang,
        Have you contacted Don Berliner, Editor of Golden Pylons, the Newsletter of the Society of Air Racing Historians? Or maybe Himself, RAy Cote?
        Darlin' Betty

Comment

Hey Darlin Betty!

I am just getting back into my "Shoestring" research, having spent A LOT of time the last few years working on Papa Goss's "Warlock" #75.

I had a MAJOR puter crash awhile back- and lost EVERYTHING I had.

Alas, I hope to be able to find hard copies of my research, and gather photos etc. to complete the history very soon.

I am hoping this effort gets me motivated to work on my "Shoestring" project!!!

(you still working on the "G-string" artwork Brad???)

Thanks for the suggestions Betty, All the best- RG (Rare Hair)
          RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Neal-
            You got any shots of Race 24, Chip Lythe (builder)-'Nobigthing' ('72), Dave Morss (rebuilder)-'Woodstock' ('87), Doster/Rediker/Entriken-'Spud Runner'...(currently in stasis).
            Dave has some pictures, (somewhere) of the transition of what Chip let it decay into, in a barn, to the current yellow/red color scheme that it's in. Might make for an interesting study, with enough story-line to fill a chapter.
            Might even encourage Randy to get off his butt, and finish his project...

Paul

Comment

Paul, I have seen Neal's "Shoestring" photo collection- I bet it's the most extensive gallery of Shoestring material around- NEAT stuff!!!

I just emailed Ray Debs, and requested a membership renewal form for IF1- I don't want to lose #75, I REALLY hope to use it someday!

Speaking of "Shoestrings", is there any word on how the repairs are coming along on #24 and #30, and will we see either return to racing?

All the best, Randy Goss
              RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Hey Randy,

Bill Sklier out of Reno Stead had 2.
                One was Shark, witch he died in preping it for a Reno race many years ago. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of his second. Im sure some one here would know the tail numbers and planes. Sorry I dont have more info on them for you. just the referance.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyGoss75
                  Speaking of "Shoestrings", is there any word on how the repairs are coming along on #24 and #30, and will we see either return to racing?
                  Randy-
                  Hopefully Birch will fill us in himself, but I think the Oklahoma tragedy, took a lot out of the team. They were pretty close, and I think they lost a lot of the enthusiasm for the re-build project. Last time I saw #24, it looked like a do-able repair... I wasn't there for #30's accident, but heard it was a mess. Love to see them fly again, aren't many stockers left.
                  I think the Sno-shoe site is back up, not sure if they are getting any action, (we're running out of wing builders).
                  Be interesting to get a head count of how many Shoe's out there are really flyable, Suprised we haven't seen more of them in the past several years, they really are a beautiful airplane.

Keep on building, Paul

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee
                    Hey Randy,

Bill Sklier out of Reno Stead had 2.
                    One was Shark, witch he died in preping it for a Reno race many years ago. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of his second. Im sure some one here would know the tail numbers and planes. Sorry I dont have more info on them for you. just the referance.
                    Wolfee-
                    #2 was a Shoestring flown by Bob Drew, (and others), modified and flying as a Budde airplane now. Bill's Shark #41 was Harvey Maces design, (completely original, I believe), an eliptical low wing, and Bill's other plane #54 "Gold Dust" was a Cassutt.
                    Don't think that Bill flew any Shoestrings, have to check...

Paul

Comment

I am trying to compile a history of the "Shoestring" Goodyear (now IF1) class racers. The original "Shoestring" was the "Mercury Air Special" N26C #16, designed by Rodney Kreimendahl-and built by the Ast brothers, Carl and Vincent.
                      This aircraft later had MUCH success as N16V, #16 with Ray Cote.

If you have any pictures, stories, comments etc. regarding the "Shoestring" racers, please contact me at: randygoss75@aol.com Thank you, All the best, Randy Goss

Any "Shoestring" fans out there??
                      Hi Randy,
                      I have some reasonable pics of Robin Ried's Shoestring at Stockton when Chris Fergeson flew it for him.
                      It was for sale at the time and I shot some OK pics. I'll see if I can find them.
                      Robin was real gentlemanly about the sale, once he had a full price buyer he offered it to me for a very reasonable price because I had expressed interest before the full price buyer. He sold it to them and had an engine failure on the delivery flight. Where is it now?
                      Chris...

Comment

Hey Chris, I believe Robin's Shoestring "Super Skate" (the original Yellow Jacket" #88) was up in Washington state with Bob Hugo years back.

I did just find this info:
                        http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N115RK.html

I have the original stock wing off of Yellow Jacket/Super Skate
                        with my project. RG
                        RIP 03/17/10

Comment

(you still working on the "G-string" artwork Brad???)
                          Scoff! As if, Bro....

Its just waitin' for an airplane to PAINT it on. :-)

Comment

Randy-
                            I probably still have the Air Progress "Yellow Jacket" issue, if you or Speed don't, (if that help's any). I'd need to rummage a little though..

Paul

Comment

RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Working...
                              X