Silver Knolls - Lemmon Valley - Good Neighbors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Silver Knolls - Lemmon Valley - Good Neighbors

So how is it that Last year on Saturday there was plenty of campers. Many day parkers and no police presence? there was at least 150 people out there? Am I going to a different spot????

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus
      So how is it that Last year on Saturday there was plenty of campers. Many day parkers and no police presence? there was at least 150 people out there? Am I going to a different spot????
      hmmmm........

Prolly not this year.

Comment

You may be thinking of Fenceliners area. As he mentions above, there are a dozen people who bought that piece of property and have every right to be there. The only area i saw that was completely cleared out was the plot directly North of Fence's spot. (the spot i've camped at for many years)

People were still trying to park and walk to the culdesac at Placerville (still farther North) but i thought the police were staying busy keeping that area clear

I believe there are more area's to the south as well but they are fenced, gated and locked, likely by the home or land owners.
        "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

imagonnashuttupnow....

Comment

FROM THE SILVER LAKE PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION

Air Race Update:
            Washoe County Sheriff’s Deputy Teresa Aquila sent an e-mail addressing
            some of the problems encountered during this year’s air races. A person who was not the property
            owner was apparently renting out space on vacant land along Osage for RVs to camp overnight,
            or others on a daily basis, to watch the races. Raw sewage was being dumped, and two
            brush fires were started. She suggested that SLPOA write a letter requesting that the entire Silver
            Knolls area be closed off to everyone except residents and their guests during the air races,
            which would require identification and/or some type of pass or permit. The pros and cons of
            blocking off the entire area were discussed, and the consensus was that it would create more
            problems than it would solve.
            Nancy Horvath moved that we voice our opposition to blocking the entire area.
            Motion was seconded and carried, with one opposing vote. Liz Howe moved
            to work with Teresa on alternative solutions. Motion was seconded and carried. Nancy also
            moved to write a letter to the Air Race Board asking for funding to provide extra policing in
            the area during the air races.
            Motion was seconded and carried. Casey will draft a letter.

It would appear that the Lady Sheriff would like a shut down and not so much the people of the neighborhood.
            During the races we were checked out a couple times a day by the health department and the Sheriff's dept.
            During Sundays gold race someone walked down from the road and the sheriff walked right down behind him.
            Get out now or I'm towing your @%^^%$8 car!

Comment

FROM WASHOE COUNTY CODE ENFORCEMENT

I would like my guests to stay on my property in an RV. Is this allowed?
              Yes, however, your guests may only stay in a self-contained travel trailer or
              recreational vehicle on your property subject to the following provisions:
              • The guests or relatives cannot pay you to stay on your property;
              • You must provide written permission to your guests (subject to inspection by
              County officials) clearly stating that the visit is authorized by you without any
              form of compensation;
              • The temporary visit does not extend beyond 14 consecutive days;
              • No discharge of any litter, sewage, effluent, or other material will be allowed
              on your property (this discharge must be into sanitary facilities designed to
              dispose of such material); and,
              • No water or sanitary sewer connections are allowed from the travel trailer or
              RV to any buildings on your property.
              Finally, you are limited to four visits (regardless of duration) each year by any
              guests on your property.

Comment

If that's true, then that means ALOT of people are breaking the law! I know of a few people, (my Grandparents included) that stay on private property throughout the Summer months, (my Dad's) in an RV, with water and sewer connections going to his house. I also know of a few people that have lived in an RV for a year, on private property, while building a house. So are you saying all of this is illegal? I'm not disputing your findings, but I find that hard to believe on PRIVATE property!
                "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub
                  If that's true, then that means ALOT of people are breaking the law!
                  A LOT can be said for the policy of "don't ask don't tell".....

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Most people would be surprised to know how many of the "laws" of their local association or the CC&R's of their subdivision (most do not read them when they buy) they break on a daily basis. Not including the local county or city ordinances. Most of the violations are benign and unintentional, and cause no harm. In most cases nobody is going to come down on you for the little stuff, there is simply no reason and no good method of enforcement (tell that to my HOA who counts weeds and oil spots tho). The laws are in place to give some recourse in gross situations. For example, if you looked you would probably find it illegal to work on a car in your garage for more than 48 hours, or store a disabled vehicle for more than 10 days. Nobody is going to complain or enforce it until you have them lined up and are out there 24-7. But the law IS there to enforce if needed.
                    Unfortunately a few bad apples have caused the locals to use their rules to stop something that to them was getting out of hand. I don't like it but I don't blame them either.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                      Most people would be surprised to know how many of the "laws" of their local association or the CC&R's of their subdivision (most do not read them when they buy) they break on a daily basis. Not including the local county or city ordinances. Most of the violations are benign and unintentional, and cause no harm. In most cases nobody is going to come down on you for the little stuff, there is simply no reason and no good method of enforcement (tell that to my HOA who counts weeds and oil spots tho). The laws are in place to give some recourse in gross situations. For example, if you looked you would probably find it illegal to work on a car in your garage for more than 48 hours, or store a disabled vehicle for more than 10 days. Nobody is going to complain or enforce it until you have them lined up and are out there 24-7. But the law IS there to enforce if needed.
                      Unfortunately a few bad apples have caused the locals to use their rules to stop something that to them was getting out of hand. I don't like it but I don't blame them either.
                      Very well put Leo. Especially the last part, that is SO true! I don't like it either, but at least I am one of the priviledged ones that got to enjoy the VOS in years past before all of the problems started arising..........
                      "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

You must have been on Lemmon Valley rd. I too noticed the lack of police or fire out at Lemmon until some idiots lit a fire with some fireworks. They must of all been at Silver Knolls!

Last year the area west of Lemmon was out of bounds but everyone camped on the east side. Does anyone know the status of east of Lemmon? Will it be open? My very small group have been going out there since they kicked us off the hill. I suppose one day we'll be shoved back so far it won't be worth it. And just in case the money takers are keeping tabs, I usually go into the races on Friday, spend all my money and then watch from the desert for the rest of the weekend.

Porta potties would be REAL nice out there and I would be happy to help pay for one. Also, we can't pay anyone to camp but what if you had the local school or something ask for donations. That'd be an indirect donation that could help the community. I bet they'd make a bundle!

Comment

Just my 1 cent here...the cul-de-sac is a great place to watch from...all my first time guests to the races get a personnal tour out there for an unlimited race and it's the hit of the week.... I've had an up close and personal encounter with the mentioned female sheriff...I was going 29 to 32 mph on the street next to fenceliners property, speed limit is 25, and she stopped me and gave me a royal ass chewing...my first mistake was getting out of the truck and meeting her at the back of it....I was ordered back into the drivers seat and chewed....she's a very nice lady....lol Actually she's kinda cute...HA!!! The day before I had stopped and talked to an officer right off the end of the runway on that street and he was very open and courtious....and an air race fan!!!
                          So....unless we all police ourselves this will build bigger and bigger and then hit the fan with a whopper.....we don't want this...
                          I pull in and park the trailer in the main field next to the church and fire dept.....yes, it's not inexpensive....but they do provide showers and meals at the church for a reasonable price and to have the fire dept. a few hundred feet away is nice.... I don't mind walking a distance to go down to the cul-de-sac to watch for awhile, mainly the unlimiteds and we get there very early for a good gold race....but to stay the day there and miss what is going on in the pits and miss visiting the concessions isn't on my agenda... Hopefully this will simmer down this year and we will all be better informed on how and why things are the way they are outside the fence...
                          Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

That's the same sheriff that got me! I think bottom line is going to be seeing it pretty much shut down until the "casual" campers have moved on. I think most real fans out there to see the planes will self-police and not do the stupid things that have caused all of this. Latrines? Motorcycle races? FIREWORKS? Fence jumping? I've seen them all and would'nt be happy either if I lived out there. Maybe a few years of it blowing over and we can go back.
                            On fireworks and open fires. Sometimes ya just gotta wonder what some people are thinking. It's desert but it will still burn and fires out that way are VERY hard to control when they get out of hand. Most properties are acreage with unimproved land. My house has a street and one more row of houses between me and the open desert and I worry a LOT about a fire out there.
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

At least I'm good looking enough that she didn't write me a ticket...LOL See, good things happen....
                              Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

SILVER LAKE PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION
                                Board Meeting Minutes – March 19, 2008
                                Air Race Meeting Report
                                Casey Meaden:
                                Representatives from Silver Knolls, Washoe County Sheriff’s Office, Air Race Authority,
                                and the Washoe County Health Department met on March 10 at the Health Department.
                                All the problems and issues that arose during last year’s air races, and suggestions for solving them, were discussed.
                                Some of suggested solutions were:
                                * Advertise beforehand that there is no parking on the streets in the surrounding areas.
                                * Contract with a towing service, and have a tow truck parked in a conspicuous location.
                                * Need more cones and “No Parking” signs. SLPOA may be asked to help cover costs for these.
                                * The health department will send letters to owners of vacant property.
                                * Fence Line Club
                                * Invitations for residents to send to their guests
                                * Stickers provided for residents to put on their windshields
                                * Articles in the newspaper

Stay tuned
                                Hard to say what they mean by"Fence Line Club"

Comment

Working...
                                X