Silver Knolls - Lemmon Valley - Good Neighbors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Knolls - Lemmon Valley - Good Neighbors

OK, I know this is a touchy subject and one we've often buried in the past for, what should now be, obvious reasons...

We've just published a press release from RARA that fills in some of the "why?" blanks...

Opening for discussion... Please keep it civil!!

Story Here

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Silver Knolls - Lemmon Valley - Good Neighbors

A few always seem to mess it up for the many... Just be respectful out there please.

EB
    Cheers

Comment

I agree with EB. It might help to talk to the property owners & worthwhile paying for the spots on their property & police the area yourselves.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

I'm curious where or who you would get "written" permission from.

On top of that, would a Sherrif honor such a document? We policed ourselves along with 95% of the fans out there.

How do you police that 5% who just dont care?

Anthony
        Last edited by sierra fox; 03-21-2008, 09:54 AM. Reason: spelling
        "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

I first attended the Event in '89, and quite by accident discovered the site on Wed., the only visitors there that day were a tent full of Canadians, who told us that was THE place to see the Unlimiteds, and if/when we came back the next day, would we bring a couple bags of ice. We came and they were right! We returned every year after that til about '93. The behavior of the "Fans" out there became increasingly APPALLING. In '91 scores breached the fence and went onto the course during the Gold Race, despite admonitions from many of us. It was clear that this fate would befall the area.
          It's too bad that RARA couldn't somehow "lease" the area and do a little crowd management along with some amenities, of course there would have to be a Fee, like proof of paying for general admission. Which many of the "Fans" who were regulars out there were avoiding...D.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob
            I agree with EB. It might help to talk to the property owners & worthwhile paying for the spots on their property & police the area yourselves.
            That sounds good but, I don't think it will work. The health department only allows 1 RV per parcel out there. Fenceliner,Speak on this will ya.

Comment

DUPLICATE
              Last edited by DWYER; 03-21-2008, 11:53 AM.
              My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

It's too bad that SOME people have to screw up opportunities like this for others. I have never even been to these spots, but it infuriates me that people act like this so the future opportunity will not be there. These are those same disrespectful, thoughtless, trashy people you find everywhere. If everybody would try to respect and take care of others property as their own there wouldn't ever be a problem. Oh wait who are we talking about here. These people probably do all this stuff on their own property anyways. PURE TRASH. If I lived their I would probably feel the same way. Its just too bad, and it gets worse every year.
                My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob
                  The owner of the land in the Red Rock road area, in 2006, told me he couldn't accept any payment from campers, as doing so would make him liable for any injuries occured by said paying campers residing on the property. He would be required to take out an expensive insurance policy by law to boot, and did not wish to do so.

By letting people camp there for free, he was free of liability.

It was nice of him and his family to let us use the land for camping/race viewing all these years as it is... A shame that a few bad, inconsiderate campers had to ruin it for all.

Originally posted by Scepter
                  That sounds good but, I don't think it will work. The health department only allows 1 RV per parcel out there. Fenceliner,Speak on this will ya.

I haven't heard that before, but the owner did mention that the water dept. or county laws would only allow for one WELL drilled for the entire 80 acre parcel. Sub-dividing the land into smaller parcels wouldn't affect this limitation. That's why nobody has built on it all these decades (yet).

Anyone have enough money for a desert house with an 80-acre backyard? anyone?
                  Last edited by AirDOGGe; 03-21-2008, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I started viewing the races from Lemmon Valley and Red Rock in 1979. We always bought tickets for earlier in the week and saved Sunday for the dirt. About 20 of us gathered each year until I left Reno in 1998. We always showed respect for the land and the race course boundries. Whenever the sheriff's deputies would drive by, we always offered a soft drink or what ever we had on the grill. Anyone with half a brain should know how to behave out there. If not, then they need to be run off so as not to ruin a great thing for the rest of us.

Tom Waite
                    St. Louis

Comment

I've been attending the races since 1979. For the past 15 years or so, I've been the invited guest of a Silver Knolls property owner during the races. I consider the invitation to view the races from the fenceline as a privilege that could be revoked at any time in the future should limits/conditions be placed on the property owners by the authorities regarding the fenceline. Over the years there, I have witnessed incredibly rude behavior by some individuals who apparently assume it is their right to access the fenceline at anyplace and time they desire. This past year there were some problems near the fenceline property we are guests at, that resulted in the authorities responding and subsequently ordering that neighboring area be vacated.

Several times each year, I also spend time down at the field in the pits and general admission area, purchasing items from the various concessions and race teams.

Comment

Originally posted by SCEPTER
                        A little history here.
                        A number of years ago some of us that were watching from the fenceline saw the handwriting on the wall.
                        A FEW can spoil something special for the rest.
                        A dozen of us came together to form Fenceliners LLC.
                        We bought a parcel of 24 acres.
                        Our section is fenced and locked.
                        Generally we let in a few people that we personally know.
                        We do not charge a fee, but in the past, we asked for a "donation" to help pay for the portable toilets that we rent for that weekend.
                        We pay to have the parking area mowed to prevent fire.
                        We do not allow open fires or smoking outside your car.
                        We ARE NOT in this to make money.
                        We are very respectful of the full time residents who live there.
                        We are currently looking into what we have to do to be "legal" for that air race week.
                        Possibly some sort of special use permit might be required.
                        This is my current understanding of the situation.

I DO NOT SPEAK FOR THE GROUP.

Comment

I camp in between the buildings in the dry camping lot next to the church. I attend the races via the main gate thursday through sunday and spend a LOT of money. I like to catch the last 4 races on saturday out in the VOS. I drive in, park by the cars, hang out with the crazies and leave after the gold race. Last year we had to park about half way down and walk to the fence for each race and then walk back. every thing I bring with me gets brought out. I am wondering if this will not be possible now with these changes. Can we park on the shoulder of the road? What can I do to get in with the fenceliners LLC? I have many talents andd skills and knowledge. ( bow staff skills, computer hacking skills, etc) I dont want to go to jail when someone tries to tow my car.....

Comment

We always went out to a certain street, parked and stayed near the car. Like flyingbus EVERYTHING we took with us left with us, along with things others had not taken with them. The people I visited last year that were camping were being very considerate of the property. I saw many who were not. I've always gone out on Thursday or Friday to watch from out there, the rest of the time I am on-site. I doubt it will be an option this year, as last year i got the lights, paperwork check and lecture for simply stopping off to the side to use my phone. The sheriff was not nice, I assume they have some fairly strict orders!
                            It is quite easy to track down the property owners, but I bet most of them realize the liability of giving permission to use their property.
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

When I pulled up to the "spot" last year on friday and I saw the Sheriff and the health dep.cars out there I knew it was game over.At first they said we could stay there for the rest of the week but,then they gave us til the end of the day to leave or else. It's to bad but, we all new it was coming. You know they are going to be out there in force this year checking your papers ect.

Comment

Working...
                              X