Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Silver Knolls - Lemmon Valley - Good Neighbors

Default Silver Knolls - Lemmon Valley - Good Neighbors

OK, I know this is a touchy subject and one we've often buried in the past for, what should now be, obvious reasons...

We've just published a press release from RARA that fills in some of the "why?" blanks...

Opening for discussion... Please keep it civil!!

Story Here

Wayne

Default Re: Silver Knolls - Lemmon Valley - Good Neighbors

A few always seem to mess it up for the many... Just be respectful out there please.

EB
    Cheers

I agree with EB. It might help to talk to the property owners & worthwhile paying for the spots on their property & police the area yourselves.
    Lockheed Bob

I'm curious where or who you would get "written" permission from.

On top of that, would a Sherrif honor such a document? We policed ourselves along with 95% of the fans out there.

How do you police that 5% who just dont care?

Anthony
    Last edited by sierra fox; 03-21-2008 at 09:54 AM. Reason: spelling

I first attended the Event in '89, and quite by accident discovered the site on Wed., the only visitors there that day were a tent full of Canadians, who told us that was THE place to see the Unlimiteds, and if/when we came back the next day, would we bring a couple bags of ice. We came and they were right! We returned every year after that til about '93. The behavior of the "Fans" out there became increasingly APPALLING. In '91 scores breached the fence and went onto the course during the Gold Race, despite admonitions from many of us. It was clear that this fate would befall the area.
    It's too bad that RARA couldn't somehow "lease" the area and do a little crowd management along with some amenities, of course there would have to be a Fee, like proof of paying for general admission. Which many of the "Fans" who were regulars out there were avoiding...D.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob
    I agree with EB. It might help to talk to the property owners & worthwhile paying for the spots on their property & police the area yourselves.
    That sounds good but, I don't think it will work. The health department only allows 1 RV per parcel out there. Fenceliner,Speak on this will ya.

DUPLICATE
    Last edited by DWYER; 03-21-2008 at 11:53 AM.
    My heart starts beating again in September.

It's too bad that SOME people have to screw up opportunities like this for others. I have never even been to these spots, but it infuriates me that people act like this so the future opportunity will not be there. These are those same disrespectful, thoughtless, trashy people you find everywhere. If everybody would try to respect and take care of others property as their own there wouldn't ever be a problem. Oh wait who are we talking about here. These people probably do all this stuff on their own property anyways. PURE TRASH. If I lived their I would probably feel the same way. Its just too bad, and it gets worse every year.
    My heart starts beating again in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob
    The owner of the land in the Red Rock road area, in 2006, told me he couldn't accept any payment from campers, as doing so would make him liable for any injuries occured by said paying campers residing on the property. He would be required to take out an expensive insurance policy by law to boot, and did not wish to do so.

By letting people camp there for free, he was free of liability.

It was nice of him and his family to let us use the land for camping/race viewing all these years as it is... A shame that a few bad, inconsiderate campers had to ruin it for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepter
    That sounds good but, I don't think it will work. The health department only allows 1 RV per parcel out there. Fenceliner,Speak on this will ya.

I haven't heard that before, but the owner did mention that the water dept. or county laws would only allow for one WELL drilled for the entire 80 acre parcel. Sub-dividing the land into smaller parcels wouldn't affect this limitation. That's why nobody has built on it all these decades (yet).

Anyone have enough money for a desert house with an 80-acre backyard? anyone?
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 03-21-2008 at 12:10 PM.

I started viewing the races from Lemmon Valley and Red Rock in 1979. We always bought tickets for earlier in the week and saved Sunday for the dirt. About 20 of us gathered each year until I left Reno in 1998. We always showed respect for the land and the race course boundries. Whenever the sheriff's deputies would drive by, we always offered a soft drink or what ever we had on the grill. Anyone with half a brain should know how to behave out there. If not, then they need to be run off so as not to ruin a great thing for the rest of us.

Tom Waite
    St. Louis