Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Two stroke engines in a racer ?

Default Re: Two stroke engines in a racer ?

Just go big and get a couple of these 530+ hp snowmobile motors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpoEjY7KDdo

Thumbs up Re: Two stroke engines in a racer ?

Quote Originally Posted by Box A35
    Just go big and get a couple of these 530+ hp snowmobile motors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpoEjY7KDdo

In fact over the weekend I made small 3-d model of wood and I realized the plane is way to small ( I followed missleading data in wingarea ) and now the plane is circa 12 ft long and 14 ft span ( previous was 9 ft and 15 ft ) and in fact with a straight wing that engine might be doable with wingtanks ( as a P U S H E R ) !

I think there are too many hp:s...or we need a 5-6 blader prop ( to increase the thrust and making the prop smaller to avoid the supersonic propspeeds ). The PSI 995 ccm at 225 hp would go very fast too..with methanol and nitrous it could be doubled.

This new version gear arrangement will allow a pusherversion to be made..and these charts ( Case 1 and 2 ) refer to this very low drag coefficient pusher only. I think we only need a man like Eric Ahlstrom to work on this to make it real and someone to fund it !

If my mind doesn't play a trick on me I think I did solve the problem of the directional stability problem ( experienced by mr. Penney with Learfan 2000 ) with a new kinda fuselage ( and engine cooling airflow ) as well.

If I am not mistaken a direct drive from engine could be used on the prop via shaft.

See yourself data for the engine and props;
    Last edited by First time Juke; 02-04-2008 at 04:45 AM.

Exclamation Re: Two stroke engines in a racer ?

This has been developed for UAV:s

http://www.evo-engines.com/products/....php?family=12

50 hp at 15 kilos..and roughly 500 ccm.

New Tweedy could do 250 mph with those for certain.

Lightbulb Need for a cheap transport ?

Does it really exist ?!

I ask this because many people seem to take me as an idiot at least here in Finland about this 2-stroke thing.

Regular gas costs here 8 USD a gallon. Would you be concerned and seeking a really cheap way to go from point A to B at 250 mph at these gas prizes..I am a bit concerned that none here seems to be.

rgds,

Juke

Exclamation THRUST HP values !

I just want with certain sadness inform you that this THRUST HP program that calculates speeds and horsepowers in this thread is inaccurate..it seems to be true in .15 - 0.3 size engines ( models ), but when I went and placed Dago Red prop into the program and wanted 517 mph it told that I need 27 440 horsepowers.

What it actually means is that TWEEDY can go lot faster with less hp:s as does Dago Red in reality !

so be informed,

rgds,

Juke

Juke,

Having spent 35+ years in karting,I have built and broken hundreds
    of engines (if not thousands).

Yes we can get near 45hp from a 125cc engine for about an hour of mixed load,mixed throttle use.
    .....and 23-29 hp from 100cc for the same conditions
    (air cooled....both cases)

I for one would not want to be higher than I care to fall with an engine trying to self destruct at 16,200rpm. (just over peak hp revs)

Please take a look at existing sport and ultralight power plants,
    and consider the weights vs the power vs service life.
    Not much return there.

There is a "new" wankel water cooled peice being built and is now comercially available "for karting" (no nat'l or int'l class yet) that
    just may be closer to small aircraft needs.

An internet search should get you to the specs for it,and let you view lots of 2 stroke stuff to help balance your concept choices.
    ......true information (facts) are the best base to build from.

...........keep the dreams......keep your pencil sharp......
    there are treasures hidden in them.
    Mayday51
    Jim Gallagher

There is also (or was, haven't checked lately) a wankel rotary being developed in Daytona Beach, Florida. The prototype was on a Piper Arrow and in the 180-200hp range and I think differing powers were expected to come along. Sounded neat.

Exclamation Re: Two stroke engines in a racer ?

Quote Originally Posted by mayday51
    Juke,

Having spent 35+ years in karting,I have built and broken hundreds
    of engines (if not thousands).

Yes we can get near 45hp from a 125cc engine for about an hour of mixed load,mixed throttle use.
    .....and 23-29 hp from 100cc for the same conditions
    (air cooled....both cases)

--------- snip -----------------

...........keep the dreams......keep your pencil sharp......
    there are treasures hidden in them.

I guess I have to come down with my dream...

Taking 45 hp outa those small 150 ccm engines would be like sitting on a time ( not to mention 70 hp ).

How about those 500 ccm 50 hp and 15 kilo engines ?

---------------------------------------------------

Those 17 hp 3,4 kilo engines attract me because they are 1299 USd a piece ( 900 ) and I could get for a small pilot as low wing loading as 28 kg/m2 ( if the lifting body proves to be as succesfull as I figured ).

This enclosed side view doesn't tell much, but believe it or not..I could be able to fit a man behind the pilot seat laying on side and knees bent..the wing loading could then be 44 kg/m2.

Everybody tells me this won't fly anywhere near 200 mph gear retracted, but I guarantee this has 1/3 of the drag of the Cri Cri that did go 107 mph with 2 + 9 hp engines.

What is your educated guess on this matter ?

rgds,

Juke
    Last edited by First time Juke; 02-14-2008 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mayday51
    There is a "new" wankel water cooled peice being built and is now comercially available "for karting".
    Sorry to thread jack, but have you had the chance to drive an Aixro yet? If not, don't, they are addicting. I am trying to figure out a way to get one for an unlimited laydown now. $$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Race5
    Sorry to thread jack, but have you had the chance to drive an Aixro yet? If not, don't, they are addicting. I am trying to figure out a way to get one for an unlimited laydown now. $$$$$$$$$$

.......pulls from"dead idle and just doesn't stop pulling!".........

.....I have to limit my seat time......did my neck in a couple times too many......but I had to check it out......

......it does work !......real eye opener !...smooth,smooth,smooth.
    Last edited by mayday51; 02-15-2008 at 02:02 AM.
    Mayday51
    Jim Gallagher