Two stroke engines in a racer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Two stroke engines in a racer ?

Here's the motor specs and some info about availability from Freedom Motors:

========================================
    What Rotapower models will be available?

The Rotapower engine is being offered by our sister company, Freedom Motors, in two sizes initially; a single-rotor 650cc (75 hp) and a twin-rotor 1300cc (150 hp) version. Details are available at www.Freedom-Motors.com .

3.2. Do you have a Freedom Motor I can buy for testing or can I special order one for my own projects?

Yes, we have licensed production of the Rotapower engine to Freedom Motors and they are taking orders for the 650cc and 1300cc models now. See www.Freedom-Motors.com for more information.

3.3. Can I purchase Rotapower engines for homebuilt aircraft?

Due to liability concerns, MI doesn't plan to initially sell engines for aircraft. A number of interested parties plan to market marine engines with aviation conversion kits and thereby assume the liability. When the engine becomes publicly available, information on Rotapower distributors will be posted on our web page.

3.4. Can I put a Rotapower Engine in my car?

The current model is not intended for use in automotive applications.

3.5. The page listing Rotapower Engine Performance Advantages states "power output/weight greater than 2 HP/lb.," yet the gasoline engine comparison lists the 150 HP Rotapower engine with a weight of 135 lbs. Why?

We have achieved 2.5 HP/lb. in the lab with our special high performance model. The 150 HP version is a de-rated marine engine. This number is close to that for a production engine -- in an application for long life.

Comment

Excellent link...ROTAPOWER rulez.

Here are some rough estimates for Tweedy with that 75 hp/80 lbs engine.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by First time Juke; 02-27-2008, 04:44 AM.
      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

As peculiar as it may sound...the EVO 500 ccm 15 kilo 50 hp 2-stroke engine gives equal power to weight ratio with Rotapower wankel..and is air cooled.

It is 0.59 hp/kg. In par with P-51H. Bigger is better, but so is TWEEDY now it can house 6 ft 4 in pilot and is still the world's smallest Twin !

Anyone interested to do overseas business with this ?
        Attached Files

Comment

Where is the N1PPVX* ?

* number one pee pee vent exit (15 hours flight time) ouch!!

Bmarsh

Comment

It has also 10-12 litre tanks in nacelles so altogether 75 liters..and consumes 5-6 liters per hour..so somewhere 11-14 hours the flying time..2-strokes do consume a lot and if tuned it may only fly 2 hours with the nacelletanks alone !

Comment

Hey Jukka.. !

Hope all is well with you and yours!

Question to you and those of you participating in this thread... Would you all be offended if I moved it to the more appropriate forum "Air Race Designer" ???

I realize, about 90% of the threads in the Air Racin' forum are about 90% Off Topic... but I gotta start somewhere!

Lemme know, I'll move/copy it. If you guys want it here, it will stay here!

Thanks for dreaming and sharing!

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Sounds fine moving it to a more appropriate forum room. Go for it.

What if there was a "non-racing topics" forum room? Nothing specific like the designer's room, but a place for more miscellaneous aircraft hoo-hah. Place it just below the racing topics room link too, for more visibility.

Comment

One for Bill Marsh..I heard he is one heck of a pilot !

US export model..heh heh !

Martin Hollmann commented it is cute...he recommended me to get a good aerodynamicist on the project..anyone interested ?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                    Hey Jukka.. !

Hope all is well with you and yours!

--------------snip---------------

Thanks for dreaming and sharing!

Wayner,

Have I ever prevent you from knowing my designs...you remember my very first genuiely new racer..the one that looked like diminutive Arado 234 with aft cockpit engine and pusherprop pods were in the wings operated via chains and sprockets ? That was hilarious or what ? Have you archived that thread ?

Babygirl is now 10 months old and mom is fine too.

rgds,

Juke
                    Last edited by First time Juke; 03-05-2008, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Wayne and all,

Now the baby is 14 months and a week and walks and smiles cutely.

2-stroke engined partially lifting body twin tailwheel dagger looks so far like this.

Any constructive comments ? Pilot in there is 6 feet 7 in. Any bigger than that will have to customise his kite.

rgds,

Juke
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by First time Juke; 07-12-2008, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Re: Two stroke engines is economical after all...

Hi !

Here is a pretty solid sounding engine for it...at 65% power it would have mileage of 147 / gallon. I estimate it might do 200 kmh at 65 % power.

I doubt the smaller engines cannot go very fast at 65% power...better mileage with more powerfull engines. Even with the 104 ccm engines it would only use 1/4 gallon in an hour ( a mere 1 lb in an hour with 65% power for one engine ).

Summa Summarum: It is pretty economical...on paper at least.

Juke

Comment

Latest mods on Tweedy...

Latest updates !

1. Cockpit size increased..better visibility and ability to move body forward in case of flat spin etc. Added austerity also increases the comfort in cockpit and moves the aerodynamical center more forward.

2. Wing is slightly bigger and more forward.

3. Nacelles are a bit smaller.

4. Safety issue is that arch in cockpit and rudders will prevent the asphalt rash of the pilot if the plane goes upside down in a rough landing.

5. Possibility to adjust the seat has been added.

Gauges and stick will be on the consoles and some meters in the arch..between the legs is the lever of the retractable gear ( and the gear compartment ).

What do you say..ready to be scrutinized by expert aerodynamists or not ?

yours truly,

Juke
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by First time Juke; 08-13-2008, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Here is the powerplant that the estimates for consumption and speed are based on;

I was told it cannot be right.

---------

Here are backup powerplants;

The well proven original DA-100 now even lighter and stronger !      We couldn't resist adding some new features like a new reed cage, reed valve and a lighter crankcase to our 100cc engine. The result: The DA-100L is lighter, has an improved midrange, and more power.  All engines come with ignition, prop washer, and p

Last one might also give 1 GPH, but with radically reduced speed ( 70 mph ).
                            Last edited by First time Juke; 08-18-2008, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Airpowertechnologies announced following:

The consumption data listed @ 65% is for the opposed twin which now has a new reed valve and a single carb and is much more fuel efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
                                Airpowertechnologies announced following:

The consumption data listed @ 65% is for the opposed twin which now has a new reed valve and a single carb and is much more fuel efficient.
                                Jukka... didn't you have a little one a while ago.. ??

We want PICTURES!!

Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X