Two stroke engines in a racer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Two stroke engines in a racer ?

Juke, Dont get upset by the nay sayers. Just go for it and leave them in the dust. Who knows this could lead to a whole new racing event all over the country. I would be interested in something like this on the east coast.
    Brad
    Windy Hill GA83

Comment

I think it's a a cool idea. Don't need much room for the coarse. Would be easy for the fans to see the whole race.
      Cheers

Comment

And they would be really easy to takeoff-fly-land in the wind (any wind)...NOT!

Why do I have this vison of an angry pack of bumblebees circling the pylons?

Comment

Good thing it's never windy at Reno.
          Cheers

Comment

Nope, always sunny, warm, clear and calm weather in reno.....................

Comment

Originally posted by Magdrop
              Juke, Dont get upset by the nay sayers. Just go for it and leave them in the dust. Who knows this could lead to a whole new racing event all over the country. I would be interested in something like this on the east coast.

Thanks for the warm comments.

And what colour would your prefer your racer to be ?

Seriously;

I don't think this kinda very economical twin would take away any interested folks from air racing anywhere...just on the contrary could bring more people around it and work like go-karts in F-1 car racing and bring more potential good pilots for the race as experienced pilots ( and AF and commercial airliners etc ! ). Not just spectators.

If you order one it has no liability on neither side, but I'd be interested to know if there is potential to start making them ?

Let's say a plane with retracts would cost " ready to fly " 60 000 USD and as a kit 32 000 USD ( with engines included )..mow many would be interested ( building time 300 hours ) ?

Top speed at 180 mph...and excellent flying qualities ( we aim to this only ). Take off and landing from any 250 yard long grass field ( STOL caracteristics were another design aim ) and 200 yard long hard surfaced field.

rgds,

Juke
              Last edited by First time Juke; 01-18-2008, 05:59 AM.
              http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

TOUCH THE SKY !

Originally posted by ebutner
                Just make laps around the home pylon.
                Small ships have been around before !

Here is a salute to the late great Evel the Knievel !

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Here is his jump at Snake River; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsq3dWTrRWA

I am actually surprised a plane ( a twin ) with 120-140 lbs empty weight does not excite anyone ? Especially when engines are 500 usd a piece and lumber at 1000 usd. From plans this kinda kite would be possibly less than 3 000 USD.

Here is the intented engine; http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=5734
                Last edited by First time Juke; 01-24-2008, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Re: TOUCH THE SKY !

Originally posted by Juke
                  I am actually surprised a plane ( a twin ) with 120-140 lbs empty weight does not excite anyone ? Especially when engines are 500 usd a piece and lumber at 1000 usd. From plans this kinda kite would be possibly less than 3 000 USD.

Here is the intented engine; http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=5734
                  Something about flying around with a 7 Lb, 9.5 HP @ 7500 RPM "toy" engine on each side sort of quenches my excitement. "Kites" should be flown at the end of a string.

Comment

Sounds like a fun idea Juke,all of us can't afford a highly modified race plane. Most of todays NASCAR drivers started in go-carts. Not so long ago the Wright Bros.only went 120'.
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer
                      Something about flying around with a 7 Lb, 9.5 HP @ 7500 RPM "toy" engine on each side sort of quenches my excitement. "Kites" should be flown at the end of a string.
                      Yeah but is with just normal muffler and gas.

I get figure 208 mph for top speed @ 14 000 rpm using methanol and nitro and tuned pipes.

It would make it the fastest plane in under 661 lbs FAI gategory ( beating dominating AR-5 ).

Equipped with a recovery chute it would be safe to race too.

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
                        I get figure 208 mph for top speed @ 14 000 rpm using methanol and nitro and tuned pipes.
                        Show me the numbers that got you that figure!

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer
                          Show me the numbers that got you that figure!
                          I also need 20/16 prop instead the factory recommendation 28/10.

Power to weight ratio would be at par with stock Mustang ( P-51D ).

It is an approximation..cannot have a presice calculation for it...we don't yet even have the plane.

This is the goal of the design...retracts in an aeroplane roughly 70% size of the Cri Cri...using same or equivalent rated engines ( 44 hp => 2x22 hp ).

I try to come up with better calculations soon..okay ?!
                          Last edited by First time Juke; 01-25-2008, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Juke,
                            If you have a motor that spins that fast, why have the added weight of a reduction gearbox, use one of those unducted/supersonic fan/prop. gizmos. They like to be spun fast. And it wouldnt be racing without alot of noise right?

Comment

I'll have some of what he's smokin' please!

Juke, I know its the middle of the long cold winter and your bored but give me a freakin' break. Your not going to build a plane with an empty weight of 150 lbs and a gross weight of over 300 thats going to carry anybody safely around anything at over 200 mph, with a model airplane engine of 10 hp, even on fuel and with a pipe!

Comment

Nothing says "Hold my beer and watch this!" like racing light weight 2-smoke powered "aircraft".

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X