• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Two stroke engines in a racer ?

Juke,

Having spent 35+ years in karting,I have built and broken hundreds
    of engines (if not thousands).

Yes we can get near 45hp from a 125cc engine for about an hour of mixed load,mixed throttle use.
    .....and 23-29 hp from 100cc for the same conditions
    (air cooled....both cases)

I for one would not want to be higher than I care to fall with an engine trying to self destruct at 16,200rpm. (just over peak hp revs)

Please take a look at existing sport and ultralight power plants,
    and consider the weights vs the power vs service life.
    Not much return there.

There is a "new" wankel water cooled peice being built and is now comercially available "for karting" (no nat'l or int'l class yet) that
    just may be closer to small aircraft needs.

An internet search should get you to the specs for it,and let you view lots of 2 stroke stuff to help balance your concept choices.
    ......true information (facts) are the best base to build from.

...........keep the dreams......keep your pencil sharp......
    there are treasures hidden in them.
    Mayday51
    Jim Gallagher

Comment

There is also (or was, haven't checked lately) a wankel rotary being developed in Daytona Beach, Florida. The prototype was on a Piper Arrow and in the 180-200hp range and I think differing powers were expected to come along. Sounded neat.

Comment

Originally posted by mayday51
        Juke,

Having spent 35+ years in karting,I have built and broken hundreds
        of engines (if not thousands).

Yes we can get near 45hp from a 125cc engine for about an hour of mixed load,mixed throttle use.
        .....and 23-29 hp from 100cc for the same conditions
        (air cooled....both cases)

--------- snip -----------------

...........keep the dreams......keep your pencil sharp......
        there are treasures hidden in them.

I guess I have to come down with my dream...

Taking 45 hp outa those small 150 ccm engines would be like sitting on a time bomb ( not to mention 70 hp ).

How about those 500 ccm 50 hp and 15 kilo engines ?

---------------------------------------------------

Those 17 hp 3,4 kilo engines attract me because they are 1299 USd a piece ( 900 € ) and I could get for a small pilot as low wing loading as 28 kg/m2 ( if the lifting body proves to be as succesfull as I figured ).

This enclosed side view doesn't tell much, but believe it or not..I could be able to fit a man behind the pilot seat laying on side and knees bent..the wing loading could then be 44 kg/m2.

Everybody tells me this won't fly anywhere near 200 mph gear retracted, but I guarantee this has 1/3 of the drag of the Cri Cri that did go 107 mph with 2 + 9 hp engines.

What is your educated guess on this matter ?

rgds,

Juke
        Attached Files
        Last edited by First time Juke; 02-14-2008, 06:00 AM.
        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mayday51
          There is a "new" wankel water cooled peice being built and is now comercially available "for karting".
          Sorry to thread jack, but have you had the chance to drive an Aixro yet? If not, don't, they are addicting. I am trying to figure out a way to get one for an unlimited laydown now. $$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
            Sorry to thread jack, but have you had the chance to drive an Aixro yet? If not, don't, they are addicting. I am trying to figure out a way to get one for an unlimited laydown now. $$$$$$$$$$

.......pulls from"dead idle and just doesn't stop pulling!".........

.....I have to limit my seat time......did my neck in a couple times too many......but I had to check it out......

......it does work !......real eye opener !...smooth,smooth,smooth.
            Last edited by mayday51; 02-15-2008, 02:02 AM.
            Mayday51
            Jim Gallagher

Comment

AIXRO is that the Wankel engine brand ?

Comment

That kart Wankel engine sounds like a good engine for an unlimited RC pylon racer. I am not sure whether it would fit within the rules.
                I always feel with full size air racing reliability is the main thing, as you dont want to skimp when a pilot is involved.
                Wankel engines are quite reliable for short periods of time and normally do not fail in the same disastorous way as other engines.
                The seals can be a problem for long term use but for racing this is not a problem. Wankels always used to do well at the Le Mans 24hr car race and I was at the TT race on the Isle of Man when a Norton Wankel won the main race.

Comment

I think the Norton Wankel was financed by the British Ministry of Defence for use in unmanned aircraft.
                  Maybe someone can find out what problems if any were experienced.

Comment

That AIXRO is 300 ccm and weighs 15 kilos and produces only 41 hp...whereas this is the same weight and produces 50 hp..and is 500 ccm.

Comment

Here is the AIXRO engine data ;

Technical Data

Specification: Type 4-stroke 1-disc rotary engine
                      Power: 31 kW ata / 7800 rpm
                      Weight: ~ 15 kg
                      Drehmoment: 47 Nm bei 4500 1/min
                      Chamber volume: 294 ccm
                      Max. engine speed: 10.300 1/min
                      Clutch: 2-disc centrifugal
                      Drive: 1/2 " chain type 428
                      Ignition: magnet ignition with variable timing
                      Housing: water cooled, partially Nicasil coated
                      Housing end plates: water cooled, special alloy
                      Last edited by First time Juke; 02-25-2008, 03:12 AM.

Comment

What about the little 2-rotor Wankels Moller came up with for his hovering aerocar? Those engines were suppose to be fairly powerful for their size and weight. Are they still available for purchase separately?

Comment

GOD i hate math !!!!!

any wayz , what is the relationship between kW and BHP

is it .74 kW = 1 BHP

or 1 kW = .74 BHP

--------------------

BMarsh

plz.... no 4th order equasions jazz

Comment

1 HP = .7456999 KW

Comment

The Aixro is sold in at least two different varieties. The one I have driven was the fuel injected version that combined with an aftermarket exhaust had pulled almost 60HP on a dyno. The thing that has the karters interested in them is they will go a hundred plus hours TBO. My mod 125 shifter gets a top end every 45 minutes, and a fresh bottom end every 20 hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                                What about the little 2-rotor Wankels Moller came up with for his hovering aerocar? Those engines were suppose to be fairly powerful for their size and weight. Are they still available for purchase separately?
                                I think it is called Möller Skycar..and I know a man who has finacially supported the project for years...I will look for the data on that.

I think Skycar uses 8 engines and 4 can be out and it still flies....not necessarily 500km/h as it ought to at full throttle.

Here Rotamotor Wankel; http://www.moller.com/engi.htm

It would give this small twin 520 mph top speed and more reliable one engine qualities at 370 mph..using bigger dia prop ( giving more thrust ).

Unless it weighs more than 25 kilos.

Second chart when 150 hp is the output. Unfortunately rotary engine is not piston engine..so no new record is valid in that class.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by First time Juke; 02-26-2008, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X