rare bear flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rare bear flying

right now rare bear is flying over stead, not known who is flying or any other details.
    heh heh alriiiight

It's John Penney Matt. Knew he flew in, did not know if he'd get up today or not!

Viva Las Vegas!!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Mat,

tell us you had your trusty camera with you. and you took some pix.

Comment

sorry wolf, i live in the valley north of stead and any picture taken wouldn't've shown anything.
        heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Bear flying

Oh, Yeah, She's up, she's growling and singing too!

Seriously, this was the first test hop on the new engine and everything went well. After a short test, John brought it down for the crew to check everything over and then it was up to put time on the rings and bearings. Over an hour at nice easy break in power settings, that beast is still ripping around at Sea Fury shredding speed.

On a personal note, I need to get up early tomorrow and see if the transponder is OK and replace a missing wire on the encoder.

On a more public note, as she taxied out and took off, I was struck by the distorted perspective this aircraft gives you that we all take for granted during race week that now seem so unusual after looking at "normal" aircraft for a few weeks.

The Bear is too small, has too much prop, and WAAAAAYYYYY too much engine. At a power setting designed more to baby the fresh engine than impress a crowd and no flaps, the Bear just trolls down the runway and leaps into the air like a STOL MiG. John doesn't waste time, holds it at Vy and up to ~3,000 agl with nary a breath of strain.

Landing the first time, I'm explaining to a student pilot the handling advantages of Grumman aircraft when John lines up for a landing on 32 with the wind 350 gusting to 30. Crosswind component? Bears don't need no stinking crosswind component. A little bank, a little rudder, the Bear touches down within a whisker of centerline and straight as a die. Nothing like a Grumman.

Off to bed. Short night and long day tomorrow.

Eric

Comment

One Word....

YEEEEEHAWWWW!!!!!!!!!

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Go getem guys.......and girrrrrrrrl hehehe

Good luck down there at Nellis.

Comment

Working...