Race 69

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Race 69

during my senior year of high school my historty teacher John Putnam sister in law i showed her the pictures of georgia mae ground looping and she brorrowed it he came to visit them and wrote me this big not on the frount page shawn

Comment

Thanks t-dub that fills it in for me. I must've only seen her after the repairs. I think my dad was there on Sat in '85 and seems like he may remember the groundloop. I'll ask him.
      _________
      -Matt
      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

September 14, 1985 was my very first day at the Reno Air Races. I will never forget that ground loop. Not that I knew what a ground loop was at the time!

Haven't missed a year at Reno since.

Comment

There is some really good stuff on this board if you use the search features. There is stuff here that will never be repeated, you just have to dig.

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!
          John Slack

Comment

Neophytes, such as myself, need THIS kind of information. Thanks, Mr. Slack!

Comment

Mr Slack is a walking, talking history book, and it's always good to hear from him, as he has some great stories about Reno in that head of his......
              "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Some- Canopy comparison photos, to go along with this always interesting revisited thread topic:

1. March 1979 - Miami/Homestead Air Races: Don Whittington's original Race #09 PRECIOUS METAL (N5483V) in all her glory resting on the ramp between events, sporting her 'regular' bubble canopy.

2. Mon. 9/12/83 - Whittington taxis-in with Race #09 at Reno 's Stead Field with the modified v. low-profile racing canopy.

3. Mon. 9/8/86 - Wiley Sanders' gorgeous P-51D racer #69 GEORGIA MAE (N10607) sporting same canopy which was added for racing the previous year at Reno '85.

4. Mon. 3/12/94 - Bill Rheinschild departs innaugural Phoenix 500 Air Races with his Mustang racer #45 RISKY BUSINESS (N35FF).

5. Fri. 9/18/98 - Rheinschild's veteran crew chief- Bryan Marsh gives RISKY's Merlin race motor a sunrise test run, w/the L-P racing canopy back on the racer.

6. Back to the subject aircraft: Sat. 9/14/85 - Badly-crippled GEORGIA MAE is gingerly brought-in from her disastrous cross-wind landing accident site on RW 26 following Silver Heat 2B, & headed inside the hangar.

7. Sun. 9/7/86 - John Putman returns to compete at Reno '86 with a meticulously-rebuilt & gem-polished GEORGIA MAE - again sporting the low-drag bubble race canopy.

8. Mon. 8/8/86 - 3/4-rear angle shot of GM watching a fiery Stead Field sunset - the epitome of a 'Heavy-Metal Thoroughbred' Mustang Air Racer.

9. Sun. 9/19/88 - John Putman takes-off GM from RW 32 at Reno '88 NCAR. Note the replacement racing canopy, which replaced the v. low profile (which was noted to have- 'visibility issues') for Reno '87 the year before.

10. Mon. 9/12/88 - Race #69 GEORGIA MAE shines brilliantly as she basks in the warming rays of a Reno, Nevada sunrise - a picture of a pretty pony ever-eager for a good gallop in the clouds! Gone from the race course - but not forgotten! DBD

P.S. I know Neal has some superlative pylon shots of GM in B&W and color (w/Wiley Coyote copilot riding along too!) - maybe we can twist his arm a little bit to post a couple of them?!?
                Attached Files

Comment

Great shots Bucky! I always liked the look of the low profile canopy..........
                  "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Thread revival... Only because it is the next chapter in the planes racing history.

It appears that Georgia Mae has been purchased by another of the top Sport class racers... That makes 3 sport class racers bumping into the unlimiteds. Jeff LeVelle, whoever bought Shockwave, and now Georgia Mae. There is a 4th top racer who is rumored to be making the move, but I don't know who. Just that one of the top guys has a project of some kind.

Will

Comment

For anyone in the "know", here's your dead giveaway answer

Looking forward to seeing what transpires here
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                        For anyone in the "know", here's your dead giveaway answer

Looking forward to seeing what transpires here
                        Certainly not in the know?I know shockwave went that direction, same shop?

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                          Thread revival... Only because it is the next chapter in the planes racing history.

It appears that Georgia Mae has been purchased by another of the top Sport class racers... That makes 3 sport class racers bumping into the unlimiteds. Jeff LeVelle, whoever bought Shockwave, and now Georgia Mae. There is a 4th top racer who is rumored to be making the move, but I don't know who. Just that one of the top guys has a project of some kind.

Will
                          But haven't you heard? The Unlimiteds are dead! Seriously though, what exciting news!
                          Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by rforslund View Post
                            Certainly not in the know?I know shockwave went that direction, same shop?
                            “In the know” regarding where the sport pilots home bases are. The answer is in the destination not the origin
                            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

He wasn't dragging his feet on the trip home either.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                                ?In the know? regarding where the sport pilots home bases are. The answer is in the destination not the origin
                                So, based on that clue, are we talking about someone who makes propellers and ran real fast last year in the sport class?

Comment

Working...
                                X